• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs. Jigglypuff?

Regulus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Count_Boognish
3DS FC
3351-4181-6573
It doesn't seem like there's a lot of options, especially because mechakoopas are useless. The fair has just enough ending lag that they can punish it and I'm not sure what else to do.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
fair? ending lag? gg

but fr im well-versed in this mu lemme explain our advantages and disadvantages. Jigglypuff gets ****ing rekt by our smashes obviously because of their weight. usmash and up angled fsmash are hella good as anti-airs to block a jigglypuff's approach. they die at around 65% (don't quote me) to up-b hammer. thats insanely low. our aerials straight up beat out jigglypuff because of the disjoints and bair kills so so so low. BUT, jigglypuff gimps us hard AND has an easy time landing rests due to our huge body and predictable approached. weak nair gets us helpless after upb which is huge, you're basically forced to recover high or have stupid reaction time with airdodges.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah it's the same ol' same ol' for bowser jr vs most aerial opponents. You have the ability to dominate neutral but if you slip up and wind up off stage you might as well unplug your controller and go home.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
In my experience it could go either way, just don't go off ledge or super aggressive because holy heaven will things go south quick. You have the tools to apply ample pressure when the foe lands, mechakoopa is virtually useless except it limits where they can land (unless they mastered item usage and grab upon landing).

I find it relatively easy to footstool with the clown car so that might be your best option yet since going offstage is a no-go. mechakoopa or UpB for edgeguard. Be patient and don't bother edgetrumping since it could go sour for you quick. Mechakoopa to cover rolls and UpB to detonate getup attacks, jumps, and normal get ups. If they still time a escape out you're already on your way to a safe distance.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
You're going to risk footstooling someone with multiple jumps who can gimp you immediately if you miss?

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
You're going to risk footstooling someone with multiple jumps who can gimp you immediately if you miss?
Yes, but only when its safe to or if they used up three of their jumps. Of course there are better options, but its one that many overlook.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I've played and beaten Hungrybox and another Jiggs player in Florida, and it is very in BJ's favor, you just have to wall out jiggs with fairs and once jiggs realizes she needs to approach differently you have smash opportunities. Keeping out the mech forces jiggs to stay in the air, and after you dominate in the air and conditioned the ground, don't let out a mech and come in with the side-b to hammer kill combo. Also, bair destroys puff, and jump cancel bairs are super safe, even on shield

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Yeah. This is coming from a Jiggs player! BJ totally wins the matchup, but because BJ is round, Jigglypuff can rest BJ more easily. Just keep playing defensively, and bait Jigglypuff with side B. It works against the floaty character once you get good with that. She's also the lightest character in the game, so comboing into the kart explosion (Up b) can kill early on. Sounds like a scrub move, but trust me, it works well against Jiggs. I can't get out of it as easy because if I'm not moving a certain way, I'm very slow...

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah. This is coming from a Jiggs player! BJ totally wins the matchup, but because BJ is round, Jigglypuff can rest BJ more easily. Just keep playing defensively, and bait Jigglypuff with side B. It works against the floaty character once you get good with that. She's also the lightest character in the game, so comboing into the kart explosion (Up b) can kill early on. Sounds like a scrub move, but trust me, it works well against Jiggs. I can't get out of it as easy because if I'm not moving a certain way, I'm very slow...
You can DI the physical first hit of the up B as to not be caught in the following explosion. Its incredibly impractical to try and land on jiggs and gnw.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It doesn't seem like there's a lot of options, especially because mechakoopas are useless. The fair has just enough ending lag that they can punish it and I'm not sure what else to do.
You're doing fair too close to the ground then. You're right about mechkoopas largely being useless in this match up but the great thing is that Bowser Jr has more than enough tools to get the job done. Fair, ftilt, and uptilted fsmashs can stop her approaches while Bowser Jr can wreck shop with short hopped attacks out of the koopa kart. Fair and uair put enormous aerial pressure on her and Bowser Jr has plenty of attacks that force her to keep her distance and put on shield pressure. Fsmash, usmash, and abandon ship can easily kill her at 80/90% so getting the kill isn't hard either. As others have said, ditch the mecha koopa and take to the air to take her down.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
You can DI the physical first hit of the up B as to not be caught in the following explosion. Its incredibly impractical to try and land on jiggs and gnw.
I know, but out off experiences, if you get the first hit, it resets my speed, making Jigglypuff very slow and not always able to get out. Most the time I'm able, but it's scary close! lol

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
While default Mechas certainly are useless here, due to Puff being in the air over 50% of the time, would Impatient & Big Mechas be more useful in this MU when Customs are on? Of those two, I'd imagine Impatient would be more useful, due to how easily Puff can swoop in to steal Big Mecha, as well as how close by she can remain to pressure us from deploying them too often. Impatient is the fastest of our 3 Mechas, and it arcs upwards in such a way that it'll likely be in Puff's airwaves. Would our deck be 1112? 1113? Possibly 3112 or 3113, due to Air Cannon being faster than default Cannon at pushing her back?
Puff's deck would probably be 2x21. Not sure which Side B she'd take, hence the x.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
i think big mk works much better in this mu since jiggs is rarely on the stage, big mk will kill ridiculously early too

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Oh yeaaah, I forgot about the amount of knockback that grows as we deal more damage to her, which makes setting up Big Mechas easier to do. It's only really at low percents where she can hover-space around us relatively close by and steal our Big Mechas. Saving Big Mechas for when Puff's at 50-ish+% is definitely a good idea, for that's when our attacks will generally deal enough knockback to give us enough space to comfortably setup Big Mechas. As nice as it is to pester her air space with Impatient Mechas, I believe the amount of payoffs that Big Mechas provide us with here as she reaches KO % exceeds Impatient's payoffs. Thus, our deck for this MU would most likely be either 1113 or 3113, and both are definitely on the EVO setlist, which I'm happy about.

Last edited:

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
Bowser jrs fair has more priority then Jigglypuffs so wall out the Jigglypuffs the entire game. I can see impatient mechakoopa being useful cuz it flys so high it could hit Jiggs
out of the air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom