• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

vs Ike

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I am the only one who has problems facing Ike but no matter what I have horrible problems against him. Anybody have some good advice that I can use?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
The easiest way to handle him is to learn how to utilize sonic's homing attack and spring to gimp Ike as he is recovering. A sonic who masters this will force Ike to think about different ways to recover... which can lead to jumping infront of his forward B to prevent that from being an option too.

Of course, fighting him regularly just means being unpredictable but still aggressive. Use your spin charge a lot and jump into an aerial or homing attack to mix things up since Ike most likely will stay on the ground a lot. Whatever you do... don't air dodge into his up/forward smash like I do and land before the attack finishes :p

I'll have some vids for you soon.

but let's keep this to the matchup discussion thread... everything in one spot =)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161598

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Use your speedness to your advantage and confuse him to randomly fall off the stage

seriously i tried it on my friend and i fooled him to fall off the stage... :chuckle:
———————————
BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Browny

Smash Hater
against the slow guys like ike, dedede and snake i simply avoid them completely for about the first 20 seconds until the get so frustrated the end up resorting to spamming moves like aether, waddle dees and dash attacks. Although it may not neccesarily help, i sometimes practice against level 9 characters as mentioned above and try to kill them without taking a single hit using only running grabs. try to incorporate running grabs as much as you can vs the slow character

Tenki

Smash Hero
FD/ other platform levels:

Get Ike to 40-60%, get him off the level (eg, backthrow from edge).

If he recovers from above ground level, height wise, hit him with a single-jump f-air.

If he's toward 30-45% at the beginning, you can try for a double-jump f-air. If he's kinda far off the level and hasn't used his double jump yet, then use homing attack.

This antirecovery move will leave Ike too far to recover, too low to recover, or just plain knock him off for the death.

;d

[edit]
If he's coming up from below the stage, you can try bombing him with springs lol.

Either way, if he loses his double jump, his recovery gets owned really badly- Aether has good vertical distance, but poor horizontal, and Quickdraw is good horizontal but useless if under the level.

For general fighting, try walking slightly out of range of his F-tilt: run in and grab, or roll behind and smash, or hyphen smash, etc after his attacks, and always be prepared to dodge a quickdraw, dashing attack or jab. I believe while trying Sonic out and fighting in a 'counter attack' manner, I had about 60% and 3 stocks by the time a lv 9 Ike was down to 1 life.

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
Ike has some of the most punishable moves in the game. Try to make him whiff his attacks and punish punish punish. shield grabbing is my best friend in this match-up.

It also helps that you don't try to fight him head on he'll just overpower and out range you. All Ike's fight very similar to each other no matter how good they are. i don't mean that I don't get whooped by Ike's at all it's just That you can always see what works well with ike against a sonic.
O and spring Ike to death. It will mess up their flow even if ur losing.
If you cant win you can still annoy him.:chuckle:

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice. I tend to try and go straight on against Ike and I do get punished but I keep thinking that my speed will get me there fast enough and it never does. As for all ikes playing the same, I want to disagree. I've played two very good Ikes with extremely different playstyles.

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean in the sense of play-style's. I mean that Ike players like use certain moves to out power and out range you. If that helps to explain my post.

Top Bottom