• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VS Falco

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
This matchup makes me angry because I can't find any solutions to any of the problems falco gives GaW. Lets discuss things that work well.

Problem #1
What do we do to stop falco's lasers into aerial approach?

If you shield a laser you can't get away in time to avoid the aerial which will usually hit you b/c of the bad shield.

If you try to light shield stuff you will get grabbed or pushed off the stage and onto the ledge which is not bad but certainly not the best place to be.

Buffering a roll is horrible b/c his roll takes forever.

This leaves jumping in the air and onto platforms to avoid lasers. This is the best option I believe, but you have to keep moving otherwise falco will just go up and get you.

What do other people do VS Falco?

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Unless you're going against like... eggm... you can duck under most lasers, it's fun to run duck dtilt falcos =p. Light sheilding and being pushed to the edge you can jump before grabbing the edge which is an option, not always the best either haha. On YS if you're on the edge you can jump from teh edge to do a non contact landing on the platform ^_^.

Platforms are usually the best option, just be careful really. never roll. always move. duck is too good. dair is an amazing move if you can hit with it =)Play against falco's long enough and lasers aren't such a problem.

Also if you can read a laser coming turning around, wavedashing (for momentum) then jumping over a laser into bair works too. Empty hopping towards them with lasers into a waveland is fun.

The Phenom

Smash Lord

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
im just going to leave myself some notes here so i remember

*duck lasers into d-tilt
*full hop Dair
*less sh fair going forward, more retreating sh fair
*fake them out into trying to up B diagonally down onto the edge and then jump and fair/nair them

what stages do we think are good to counterpick falco? KJ64?

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
ive decided this matchup is near impossible against a falco that knows the MU...you need at least one good gimp or 9 to win usually

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
ive decided this matchup is near impossible against a falco that knows the MU...you need at least one good gimp or 9 to win usually
Yeah, it's a pretty obnoxious matchup the revolves around camping platforms to prevent solid hits, avoiding lasers, retreating aerials and fishing for WDback Dtilts. Falco dictates the pace of the match too well and a character like GaW can't handle pressure like that very well at all. Unless you're proficient at powershielding EVERYTHING(attacks and lasers), I would avoid this matchup.

On a related note, I'm going to work on my powershielding with GaW and IC. I can do it with relatively decent consistency with Peach(my newest secondary) but not really with anyone else.

And yes, Dark Hart, it's you. I'm coming for those quarters. >:[

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
played the other day, here's my notes:

GaW is not as bad in teams as I previously thought...he is like a slightly faster ganon that dies much easier but that can gimp/edgeguard slightly better...nair and fair pushes people off the stage at very early percents...you need to not play on yoshi's story though lol

falco cant rely on his lasers as much in teams so I think fox is your biggest enemy in teams, same thing goes for sheik's CG

I was using nair a lot with great success, and I think it's better sometimes to come down with nair instead of using key everytime, just to mix things up...also nairing shields carries no risk at all if you space it right

QERB

Banned via Warnings
played the other day, here's my notes:

GaW is not as bad in teams as I previously thought...he is like a slightly faster ganon that dies much easier but that can gimp/edgeguard slightly better...nair and fair pushes people off the stage at very early percents...you need to not play on yoshi's story though lol

falco cant rely on his lasers as much in teams so I think fox is your biggest enemy in teams, same thing goes for sheik's CG

I was using nair a lot with great success, and I think it's better sometimes to come down with nair instead of using key everytime, just to mix things up...also nairing shields carries no risk at all if you space it right
I agree. He's not as bad in teams as I thought either. In fact I used to only play sheik in doubles cuz i thought g&w wasn't worthy enough. But now I'm definitely getting more comfortable with him doubles. You need to synch with your teammate pretty well though because he can just get tossed around in some doubles games. And he definitely relies on gimps and such, but that's ok because he does them pretty well in doubles.

I personally really like playing against falco's in team for that reason exactly, he can't laser as much. So you can ACTUALLY APPROACH HIM (omg no way).

Also I have a vid from not toooooo long ago from a no johns tourney against swiftbass n spawn if anyone wants to check it out :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQzZv5J8aUM

The first game I went sheik (cuz I always went sheik back then in doubles). But when they switched to a double falco team I immediately picked gw.

EDIT: my first death is tragic lol xD

Top Bottom