• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vs Captain Falcon

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Thought I would open up some discussion on Jigglypuffs gameplan vs. Captain Falcon. I myself play against a pretty relentless C.Falc, and lately I've been struggling to keep pace stock for stock. So feel free to share any advice you have, from general things to keep in mind, to tactics for very specific situations.

Personally, I'm lacking in diversity for Rest setups. I'll list the few combos I employ, most already know these, but you never know. Mebbe you'll learn somethin.

SHFFL Uair, Uptilt, Rest <- bread and butter combo, they eventually expect this.
Upthrow, Uair, Rest <- low-mid %, too low and they fall below before you can rest.
Utilt Juggle, Rest <- Humiliating. Eat it, fastfallers.
Upsmash, Rest <- Fastfallers FTW
Upsmash, Upsmash, Rest <- Nobody expects it twice. (I trademark this btw :p)
Crouch Cancel/Duck, Rest <- Only really effective if he tries to fsmash or dash attack.

A question that has been bugging me, is what's the best way to DI his Dthrow at mid-high%, when the Knee followup is virtually impossible to escape? I've been playing with Resting him out of the knee, (as seen in Phanna's Blue Resticle) but I can't seem to DI well enough to get the space I need. Could someone shed some light on this subject?

Any other contributions to the discussion welcome.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
DIing out of d-throw to knee is impossible. It's like waveshine-upsmash with fox. There's no way out. And try to rest him out of every downthrow, I dare you to.

BluRay

Smash Apprentice
just do ur best not 2 get grabbed and u wont hav 2 worri bout down throw 2 knee and also resting out of downthrow 2 knee is not something u will b pulling off n a match trust me

vericz

Smash Champion
just do ur best not 2 get grabbed and u wont hav 2 worri bout down throw 2 knee and also resting out of downthrow 2 knee is not something u will b pulling off n a match trust me
It is possible, anyways just try to jump out whenever possible, either way falcon can still hit jiggs with an uair.

Im too pro at Dthrow->knee :laugh:

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
I often don't use rest, but instead simply rely on edge guarding and also using rollout after their third jump (especially right off the edge).

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Don't try to DI the downthrow into a rest, just mash down B once you've been grabbed and you're below 80%; this is assuming you're trying to rest. Probably won't work more than once, though. As for DI, usually DI'ing towards them works because they like to jump far and usually expect you to try and get as far away as possible, which doesn't help. Staying in close makes them slow down a bit, and even when they expect they'll mess up more often.

For rests, try to predict their techs after a hit or a throw into and up-tilt, and you're good.

Sliq

Smash Master
throw into and up-tilt
Can you up throw up tilt a Cpt. Falcon at low damage, or can he jump out of it? I'd test it myself, but my copy of Smash was stolen a while ago, and I don't plan on replacing it (since Brawl is right there).

Also, to OP, you can duck his grab and then rest. This works well if he keeps grabbing you as you land from aerials. Just land. l-cancel, duck, and then rest. If he's smart, he'll just start stomping you in the dome and then kneeing you.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Can you up throw up tilt a Cpt. Falcon at low damage, or can he jump out of it? I'd test it myself, but my copy of Smash was stolen a while ago, and I don't plan on replacing it (since Brawl is right there).

Also, to OP, you can duck his grab and then rest. This works well if he keeps grabbing you as you land from aerials. Just land. l-cancel, duck, and then rest. If he's smart, he'll just start stomping you in the dome and then kneeing you.
He can jump out of the upthrow -> uptilt at low %, but they can't escape upthrow -> upair.

As for the second part, good advice. I try to mix that in every now and then

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I had a huge write up but the message boards decided to go done of that one second that I entered. I basically covered these things in a bit too much depth:
- Falcon D-throw -> Rest
- Pounding the Knee -> Rest
- Basic edge guarding

I had like a small essay but it ate it and I'm frustrated so I'm not going into detail but figure those things out and BTW
Stop getting hit by the Knee!!

-IIX

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Adrian you're talking about Ken arn't you?
With him and all Falcons I find good spacing and defense really hurts their game.

Get him off the edge, and connect your edgegaurds, and the match wont be too hard.

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
I had a huge write up but the message boards decided to go done of that one second that I entered. I basically covered these things in a bit too much depth:
- Falcon D-throw -> Rest
- Pounding the Knee -> Rest
- Basic edge guarding

I had like a small essay but it ate it and I'm frustrated so I'm not going into detail but figure those things out and BTW
Stop getting hit by the Knee!!

-IIX
That's like saying not to get grabbed. Oh wait, no, because grab->nair->knee means that you get kneed anyways. Oh wait, it does, because Falcon can knee you anytime he wants. =D

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
there are ways to DI out of the dthrow to knee..... tho its VERY HARD because its all in what the cfalcon does .... so if u can read him.... u can DI him properly... but every way u DI he can get you from 3 different spots... which SUX!!!

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
That's like saying not to get grabbed. Oh wait, no, because grab->nair->knee means that you get kneed anyways. Oh wait, it does, because Falcon can knee you anytime he wants. =D
Well lets see...
Good spacing = not grabbed
If ~grab -> ~knee

Also that little combo almost sounds like the Jigglypuff won't try to pound, which will catch you.
Before we get in a circle discussion of who can hit who, lets be reasonable.

Yes Falcon can knee whenever, that can even be the only move the person uses. Jiggs can just sit and Shield grab if the player wanted too. Just saying your response almost makes you sound like a Falcon player trying to defend your character. I'm just saying that if you want you can try the three things I listed earlier with Jiggs against a Falcon and you should be able to have an even shot at winning if you didn't earlier. :D

Taalcon

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong, I'm just giving you scenarios you should consider if you're fighting a Falcon. Jiggly is one of my secondaries too, that's the reason I go to this part of the forums in the first place =D.

Magus420

Smash Master
D-throw to knee combos jiggs with any DI and at any reasonable percent you should be able to live to as long as you don't go far off stage from the throw at high damage or something and they can't reach you. If you are able to do anything at all then the Falcon messed up and was too slow. The knee is always able to connect during the stun of the d-throw so long as they act quick enough. If they are very good at landing it and you get grabbed your only hope is to mash out of the grab basically.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
But Magus I've been Down thrown right off the bat and then rested right before the knee. Is there something wrong with the Falcon I play against?

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Well that's sad to hear Magus. I thought I was being saved by the invincible frames but I guess not.

I still really like Kirby 64 and Mute City for counter picks. Though FOD is really good because of the platforms making it hard for Falcon to get good shots off I prefer high Ceiling and large walls almost anytime.

BluRay

Smash Apprentice
i dont like dreamland against falcon either even tho its big .....falcon has 2 much space 2 run around i prefer smaller stages

Sliq

Smash Master
Brinstar and Mute City are the "gay" Jiggs counterpicks, and you can only ban one or the other.

S0FT

Smash Ace
As far as in general fighting cf

I don't know if anyone already metioned this, but I played a realy good Captain Falcon from venesuela, and I found that back throw to f-air to f-air to f-air to when ever he cant come back always works even at 0 percent its realy ez to do and you cant get out of it.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
^---- I did that against my friend's falcon. I camped the edge, he tried to figure out what I was doing. I just waited it out for my grab, and then proceeded to ruin him =P. It's pretty much guaranteed to work.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
As far as in general fighting cf

I don't know if anyone already metioned this, but I played a realy good Captain Falcon from venesuela, and I found that back throw to f-air to f-air to f-air to when ever he cant come back always works even at 0 percent its realy ez to do and you cant get out of it.
Does that work with any other characters? Because if it did, that would be REALLY sweet.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
Does that work with any other characters? Because if it did, that would be REALLY sweet.

Well, it can work on Fox and Falco, but I find it harder to pull it of on them. I think they can use side-b before you can do anything, but I'm not quite sure.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Well, it can work on Fox and Falco, but I find it harder to pull it of on them. I think they can use side-b before you can do anything, but I'm not quite sure.
I think it was more surprise than anything... but somehow I got perfectly spaced to the edge, grabbed my friend's Falco, and it hit back throw instead of the up-throw I wanted (Curse of the rising pound... T_T); the Falco phantasmed as soon as he could to grab the ledge, but after a short hopped jump I ended up right on the ledge just a fraction of a second before the Falco got there... I did that twice actually :/

Sliq

Smash Master
You might want to try a back throw to nair. Throw a SH nair out, and if they try to sweet spot it, FF so they go into it.

Top Bottom