• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Virtual Dojo: Putting your favorite characters in your fighting games

jamesster445

Smash Lord
-Please Move if this is in the wrong forum. I wasn't too sure where to put a thread like this-

So I'm an aspiring programmer with the hope of one day working in the Video Game industry. My dream job is to lead a fighting game project. I'm so committed to this dream that I've already designed over 30 potential characters each with their own unique move set. Needless to say, I love designing characters and the abilities they bring to the table, this is one of my numerous hobbies. I also like to imagine how characters could play in existing fighting games. I've made drafts for Asura, and Megaman X in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and Robin in Super Smash bros (prior to his official reveal). It's come to a point that I've decided to start a series on the idea. And without further ado I present. Virtual Dojo.

Prince Fluff- SSB
Lucina Redacted- SSB
Hades- SSB
Fiora- SSB
Ganondorf Redacted- SSB

This is the first time I've ever presented something like this so I wasn't sure what was the best way to present it. Any comments, tips, and criticism will be appreciated. And if you have a character/game you're particularly interested in, leave a suggestion and depending on how much I know about the character/game, I'll try to look into it.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
this is pretty cool

are you going to do Redacted Dark Pit/Ganondorf next?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Fiora is done

Not gonna lie this was probably one of the hardest ones to do simply for the lack of good Xenoblade references.

and now some final notes.

1. I tried using some new techniques to simplify things. Let me know what you think or if you prefer the older style.

2. For her Final Smash, I initially thought it would be neat if she hopped into her giant Mechon, Face Nemesis for a Giga Bowser style final smash. But in the end I decided to go with a different type of Chain Attack. What would you have preferred?

So if it feels like the end was being rushed, that's because it was. The truth of the matter is that I wanted to get this done before Saturday because I'm moving. I got a new job that required me to move. It may take some time for me to get readjust myself. So Virtual Dojo is going on a bit of a hiatus. But I will be working on the next one. Which will be one of these....

Ganondorf Redacted
Anna
Krystal

NNID
Majorasmask66
So I finished Ganondorf Redacted

Let me know what you think.

edit
Here's that article Frostwraith wrote about Ganondorf's moveset.
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/07/ganondorf-smash-bros/
I really like that you kept alot of the moveset the same as personally, I like Ganondorf the way he is. I think the trident would add an intresting style to Ganondorf and i'd rather have that than the sword any day. I'm assuming the trident would be weaker then his forward tilt otherwise it would just be better then his foward tilt besides knock back. Anyway, I thought it was good.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I really like that you kept alot of the moveset the same as personally, I like Ganondorf the way he is. I think the trident would add an intresting style to Ganondorf and i'd rather have that than the sword any day. I'm assuming the trident would be weaker then his forward tilt otherwise it would just be better then his foward tilt besides knock back. Anyway, I thought it was good.
I would leave his current power and speed more or less the same. I just think the Trident, and the Deadman's Volley can give him the range that he needs.

In less than exciting news. My computer had a complete hard ware shutdown. I've extracted the hard drive but I haven't found a way to extract my data from it yet. What this means that I've lost the VD template, all the original files for what's been done so far, and everything for current projects. Long story short, it's gonna be a while before we see a new movset.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I would leave his current power and speed more or less the same. I just think the Trident, and the Deadman's Volley can give him the range that he needs.

In less than exciting news. My computer had a complete hard ware shutdown. I've extracted the hard drive but I haven't found a way to extract my data from it yet. What this means that I've lost the VD template, all the original files for what's been done so far, and everything for current projects. Long story short, it's gonna be a while before we see a new movset.
Damn. Thats always fun. Well good luck starting everything back up. The hardest part of losing alot is starting over.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Oh, so you're doing clone characters then. All right.
Clone characters get the redacted treatment if I feel there's work to be done with them. Paper Mario isn't the worst idea but it's admittedly a relatively low priority for me personally. I'm open to it for the future. Maybe around Color Splash's release.

what's your thoughts on SF Zero Andross?
[/spoilers]
Haven't played it yet, sorry.

NNID
Majorasmask66
So I read it and i thought it was pretty good. Her attacks seem to have good range and when added with water bending and effective mobility, she will have no problem walling out enemies. Additionally, considering she can easily push and pull opponents with water, she seems somewhat controlling. My one criticism would be for the javelin move. I feel that it's too much risk and not enough rewards. For a projectile that handicaps her, I would hope that it would be a powerful one. How quick is it? Around how much damage does it do? Is it more powerful the farther it goes? Is it quick? ect. I just feel a little more clarity for why this move is an effective move would be nice. Also, the Dragon Vein variations of each move was a pretty cool idea. Actually, I have had a similar idea of using that for Ganondorf to keep his Warlock Punch while also integrating some of his magic spells. If there is one thing i've enjoyed about the movesets you have produced besides the nice layout, it would be the general creativity you put into them. I know thats kind of easy to say for alot of stuff but in this case it's defiantly true. I still feel your Hades moveset was the best example of this. I always thought how could we use these crazy attacks for his special moves and which ones should be chosen but not once did it come to mind to think of using it for general attacks as well. So what i'm trying to say is, great job so far. These have been very interesting and overall well done.

Oh and I had forgot to mention, I didn't look at the final smash because I plan on playing the game eventually.

Last edited:
M

MarioRayFalconSmash X

What?! How do you get all the replies? This is unfair! :grrr:

Last edited by a moderator:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So I read it and i thought it was pretty good. Her attacks seem to have good range and when added with water bending and effective mobility, she will have no problem walling out enemies. Additionally, considering she can easily push and pull opponents with water, she seems somewhat controlling. My one criticism would be for the javelin move. I feel that it's too much risk and not enough rewards. For a projectile that handicaps her, I would hope that it would be a powerful one. How quick is it? Around how much damage does it do? Is it more powerful the farther it goes? Is it quick? ect. I just feel a little more clarity for why this move is an effective move would be nice. Also, the Dragon Vein variations of each move was a pretty cool idea. Actually, I have had a similar idea of using that for Ganondorf to keep his Warlock Punch while also integrating some of his magic spells. If there is one thing i've enjoyed about the movesets you have produced besides the nice layout, it would be the general creativity you put into them. I know thats kind of easy to say for alot of stuff but in this case it's defiantly true. I still feel your Hades moveset was the best example of this. I always thought how could we use these crazy attacks for his special moves and which ones should be chosen but not once did it come to mind to think of using it for general attacks as well. So what i'm trying to say is, great job so far. These have been very interesting and overall well done.

Oh and I had forgot to mention, I didn't look at the final smash because I plan on playing the game eventually.
I'm not surprised that Hades is your favorite lol (to be fair it's Nantendo's also, and probably my best work so far). The idea for the Javelin is that it has great kill potential, both on stage (at high percents) and off stage (edge guarding). And Even the Javelin's dragon vein can be used to get kills.
And I've been playing fighting games for a long time, but ever since games like Marvel 3 and Persona 4 arena did I really notice the origins of moves. so that's what inspires me on how to look at moves. But all in all, Thanks dood.
Also as someone who played, all three stories of Fates, go for it, it's better than Awakening imo.

What?! How do you get all the replies? This is unfair! :grrr:
???

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Really, really, REALLY good movesets! Have you ever considered doing Isabelle, Skull Kid or Paper Mario?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Really, really, REALLY good movesets! Have you ever considered doing Isabelle, Skull Kid or Paper Mario?
Never played Animal Crossing or Majora's Mask.
Considered Paper Mario, I want to wait to see all that Color Splash can offer first. Paper Mario is weird because of the dramatic changes post-Thousand Year Door.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So... It's been a while. I went into hiatus for VD over the past year for many reasons. A lot happened to say the least, I moved twice, but more importantly, I started a full time job. I’m in a more comfortable position in my life where I can work on VD again. So here are some goals of mine for this year.

-Get at least one VD out every 2 months, It was originally going to be one per month, but I don’t think I can make that.

- While Smash bros is still a major component, Other Fighting games have caught my attention such as MVCI and DBFZ. And so I’ll be expanding my coverage sometime this year. The former has several characters that definitly should've been in, and the latter is mostly going to be wish fulfillment.

With that said, it’s time for Virtual Dojo’s BIG return.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Let’s talk about Fire Emblem. Now I KNOW most Smash fans hate this series and its overwhelming presence in Smash 4. Despite being a fan of the series, I agree. The Fire Emblem roster feels bloated in Smash where only 3/6 characters feel like worthy inclusions. And those three characters are great, but I can’t deny the rest feel mostly uninspired.

However I’ve always believed that here has always been great potential in FE’s 100+ Roster of characters. However, Smash’s developers has always opted for Main Characters, which makes sense. The only issue is that many MC of the series all come across as very similar. They’re all sword wielding “lords” with a regal fencing fighting style. And they all have generally balanced stats. And that’s just a small percentage of the series considering the games are about managing an army of different characters of various skill sets. There are still all sorts of archetypes wielding a variety of weapons that will never get their time to shine.

But there are also other characters that have a lot more “legacy” than even some of the FE lords do. Not to mention mechanics that have yet to be explored.

What if there was a way to represent all of the franchise has to offer. What if there was a way to not just add “another” Fire Emblem character, but rather “THE” Fire Emblem character.

Next time I'm going to be looking at a character that has been oddly slept on by the Smash fan base, despite the clamoring of similar characters with less to offer by comparison.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Today I want to talk about a character that has severely gone unnoticed by the Smash Fanbase. While everyone has been wasting their time with characters that have and never will make it in. This character here has gained relevance is poised to make a big impact this year. But who is it and how could they make their appearance in Smash? Let's find out

As always let me know what you think.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Today let’s talk about a character that has surprisingly fallen under the radar, for real this time. But before we do that I’d like to rant a little bit.

Why does everyone say Nintendo and Ubisoft have a good relationship? If they’re friends, Ubisoft is that guy that only hangs out when Nintendo is having a party but always leaves when its time to clean up. Ubisoft only makes exclusive software on successful software. They turned what was a Wii U exclusive a multi-platform title once the Wii U was failing. To be fair, that is business.

But the character I have today is from a company that should be considered a true friend. They’ve worked together releasing exclusive content for even a dying console like the Wii U. But more importantly they’ve stuck together despite, nay in spite of the fact that they stumbled and failed together.

This is my most wanted Third Party Character and the mascot of Tecmo Koei.

As always let me know what you think.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So Super Smash Bros Ultimate has been revealed and what a reveal it was. Everyone is here! All previous veterans have returned aswell as newcomers such as the Inklings, Daisy and Ridley (I should do a comparison between what I made for him once the game comes out). Sakurai did leave us with one ominous comment, “We hope you’re not expecting too many newcomers this time around.” That said I think we’ll get a healthy number of characters, if Ridley is 65 then we’ll get at least to number 70. So who can we see? Well I for one think it’s a safe bet that we’ll see a new Xenoblade character.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
There has been a outcry of a certain character archetype for Smash Bros during the Wii U era and even now as we enter the Switch era. “Smash needs more villains and it needs more heavyweights.” Because of this, two names always pop up. Ridley from the Metroid series (who was recently confirmed) and King K.Rool of the Donkey Kong series. And Both are fine choices and there’s some commonality between them. They only had 2 reps and they were both heroes. But there was a third series that followed that same commonality but never got the same recognition. Which is sad, because the villain we’re talking about might be the most despicable villain Nintendo has ever published and more importantly, this villain has actually been in Smash before.

Special shout out to Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt for his Porky sprites.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
It has been a long-standing belief that the Fire Emblem series only came to the states thanks to Super Smash Bros Melee. This is false. Fire Emblem is a turn-based Strategy RPG game about managing an army of individual units. Marth and Roy in Melee would’ve had people believe the game is an action game. Hell, we didn’t even get Marth and Roy’s original games.
No, the real reason Fire Emblem came to the west, is because of Intelligent System’s first strategy series, Advance Wars. Much like Fire Emblem, the Wars series was mostly Japan exclusive until the Gameboy Advance. IS decided to take a risk and send the Wars series to the west with Advance Wars. And it was only once Advance Wars proved that turn based strategy games were welcome in the West, did Intelligent Systems release Fire Emblem 7 to the west.
So you would think that such an important series as the Wars would have representation in Smash right? Sadly, this is not the case, the wars one contribution were the Assist Trophy, Infantry and Tanks. As well as a trophy for these minor units. No Stage, music and of course no characters. Though I suppose it’s not too much of a stretch. After all who, no how would an Advance Wars character fight in Smash?

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
This looks cool!

By any chance could you do these fighters:
- Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)
- Shantae
- Saber (Fate)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
This looks cool!

By any chance could you do these fighters:
- Marshal (Rhythm Heaven)
- Shantae
- Saber (Fate)
I don't really do requests. But here's what I'll say.

Marshall- Not my premiere choice for a Rhythm Heaven character, that's Tibby but I imagine a similar concept can be applied. My concept is having a sort of Rhythm Lord who utilizes the many mini games from the series. In other words the :ultgnw: of RH.
Shantae- I feel there's not much I can add at this point. I promise there are better character concepts for Shantae done by bigger Shantae fans.
Saber- Don't take this the wrong way but I don't feel like Saber's a good fit for Smash. I feel like she and other Type Moon characters would fit 100 times better in something like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. But I can see niche for her as a Visual Novel rep.

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I don't really do requests. But here's what I'll say.

Marshall- Not my premiere choice for a Rhythm Heaven character, that's Tibby but I imagine a similar concept can be applied. My concept is having a sort of Rhythm Lord who utilizes the many mini games from the series. In other words the :ultgnw: of RH.
Shantae- I feel there's not much I can add at this point. I promise there are better character concepts for Shantae done by bigger Shantae fans.
Saber- Don't take this the wrong way but I don't feel like Saber's a good fit for Smash. I feel like she and other Type Moon characters would fit 100 times better in something like Blazblue Cross Tag Battle. But I can see niche for her as a Visual Novel rep.
Hey, it's cool. We all have tastes sometimes. :)

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I have a theory.

Super Smash Bros 64 featured a lot of characters that originated from the SNES era of games. This includes the likes of Ness and Captain Falcon.
Melee featured a lot of iconography from the N64 era. The Ocarina of Time versions of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf.
For WiiU/3DS featured iconography from the Wii era. Such as Rosalina, and Little Mac.
(I should do a full timeline of this)

My point is that a Smash game always seems to borrow it’s characters and iconography from the previous console generation. And as such a lot of Wii U era characters will be part of this roster. Sakurai even soft confirms this by admitting that his project plan was completed in 2015. So now you may be thinking. “The WiiU was a commercial failure. What characters could they pull from that era?” I don’t know about you, but I could name 100.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Sometimes what we want is impossible. No matter how much we want something it was simply not meant to be. Sometimes its because the powers at be who opted to decline the possibility and the dream dies. But sometimes we like to think of what-if scenarios (Hell this entire series is one). We like to think about how things could’ve been, or how things can change.

This is one of two “Ultimate What If” characters for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Last time I brought up the subject of the “Ultimate What If” or should I say the Ultimate WAH-t if”. I talked about how Waluigi was a desired character but was disconfirmed. But we explored the possibilities of him either being promoted post development as either a DLC character or in a future installment. The theme was that this was a character who was nearly impossible as his role had been decided already.

Today we’re looking at the reverse. This is a character who is has not been disconfirmed yet, but has almost everything working against him. He’s not a First party character, in fact he’s a character owned by a competitor, he’s under the radar of most speculators and fans, and is generally regarded as impossible by most standards (including yours truly). But let’s think about how things could happen, Let’s talk about another “Ultimate What if”.

jamesster445

Smash Lord

Wow it’s been a while. The last time I did one of these was before Smash Ultimate even launched. Now we just found out our third DLC character. Time flies when you’re busy. It also doesn’t help that certain plans ended up getting ruined by other events. You may not know this but I originally planned on opening this year with move sets for Kid Goku and Jiren for Dragonball FighterZ only to find out both of those characters ended up making it in on their own. I’m gonna lay out my plans for the future of VD. Due to circumstances and I can maybe make 4 more of these for the rest of the year. Maybe more will happen depending on circumstances. But my biggest goal still holds through even if my initial plan fell apart. I’m branching out to other series. There are so many fighting games that I want to talk about and I hope you guys will continue to support my work. I started a twitter account @Dojo_Virtual so feel free to drop a follow should you feel inclined. I think next time I’m going to talk about a missed opportunity for the most ambitious crossover event in history.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
That’s great! I totally support Euden as a playable fighter in Smash, because he is the first Nintendo mobile IP. To me, Euden is, alongside Dixie Kong, (Captain) Toad and Tom Nook one of the four characters that truly deserve to be in Smash. So thank you very, very much!

jamesster445

Smash Lord
That’s great! I totally support Euden as a playable fighter in Smash, because he is the first Nintendo mobile IP. To me, Euden is, alongside Dixie Kong, (Captain) Toad and Tom Nook one of the four characters that truly deserve to be in Smash. So thank you very, very much!
Glad you liked it.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
I actually really like each of your works, because you can really tell the passion and the effort you put into these, but some entries had characters I'm not very interested in (Master Chief is the best example, I recognize his importance but I don't like him).
But with Euden you got both my praise (as always) and my attention. Keep it going but don't stress it!

Top Bottom