• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Virtual Console service too expensive?

Booster

Smash Lord
I have a HUGE problem with the Eshop, on all of Nintendo's systems that have eShop. The games are worth WAY too much, I was actually shocked to see the prices on Wii U and 3DS, I expected them to improve on Wii, Wii's Virtual Console/Eshop prices were a little trial and error, you would expect them to make them more reasonable for 3DS and Wii U...NOPE! It's not that I can't afford t

We're going to be referencing both Playstation "Classics" on PSN and Xbox (Original) section on the Xbox360 alot and when I say alot, I ****ing mean it. We're starting at the bottom of the food chain of the Virtual Console, Game Boy. Game Boy games are in monochrome/Black and White, keep these words in mind. They are $4 each. You can get a PS1 game on PS3/PSP/Vita's PSN for $5, $1 more for a higher quality game. Holy ****ing ****, who at Nintendo priced that? That's about FOUR TIMES the price Gameboy games should be worth, who wants to pay $4 to play Black and White/Monochrome games? It's sickening to look at and causes sensory deprivation.

Next is Gameboy, $5, $3 more then it should be worth, again you can get a PS1 game on PSN for the same price, Suikoden over Pokemon Gold any day. NES is the same deal at $5, again go onto PSN and get a PS1 instead, I know most who are reading this own Sony systems in some form. GameGear prices range from $3 to $5 and long story short **** Game Gear it sucked, stay away from Gay-meGear games on Virtual Console 3DS (No offense to gay people, as infact I am gay myself.)

Onto SNES, with a Price Change of $8, $4 more then it should be worth. You can get a PS2 game on PS3's PSN for $10, only $2 more and you can play Persona 3 FES, modified so that it doesn't look like puke on your big screen TV. Earthbound for whatever reason is worth $2 more then a typical SNES game...what the fuuuuuu-!

N64 Games on Wii's virtual console (And presumably Wii U's) is worth the equivalent of $12, please refer to PS1 again, from the same console generation (5th) and worth $5 each, even PS2 is worth less then that. Who prices these games...? I sense a large amount of bull**** in the universe.

Gameboy Advance games are worth $8 each. *Points to PSP's PS1 game price*

This is just my opinion...oh who am I kidding, it's a fact these games are overpriced and no one wants to tell Nintendo that, instead you guys buy this overpriced ****. No this isn't one of those "You can download it Online for free" kind of deals, I just wanted to point out that something very wrong and ****ed up is happening at Nintendo. These prices are some of the most ****ed up prices I've ever seen on a game download service, I got used retail games for less then the price of even the $4 Gameboy Games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally I don't see a huge issue with the pricing. A lot of the games are hidden gems, so the pricing is fair. For example, I think getting Mole Mania for only $4 is quite the steal. It's the quality of the game as far as what I look for. Just my opinion, at least.

Booster

Smash Lord
Personally I don't see a huge issue with the pricing. A lot of the games are hidden gems, so the pricing is fair. For example, I think getting Mole Mania for only $4 is quite the steal. It's the quality of the game as far as what I look for. Just my opinion, at least.
Thanks for your opinion, the quality does matter, I just want to see what people think of the pricing when they see a comparison. I can afford it all just fine, I just find the choices a little bizarre ($5 for Milon's Secret Castle on Wii?)

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, I can see the frustration, but as Opossum said, some games are hard to come by and worth the prices listed in the eShop. Sure, we can just "yo ho, yo ho" the games via the internet, but there's nothing like having to play a game, regardless of generation on the big TV screen with a good controller.

Goodness knows if they ever released Terranigma in the eShop, I will make a blank check with my name on it, and mail it to Nintendo, and have them write any number for the amount of money I will be paying just to play it on a TV. Okay, I'm so exaggerating, but you get the idea.

Booster

Smash Lord
Honestly, I can see the frustration, but as Opossum said, some games are hard to come by and worth the prices listed in the eShop. Sure, we can just "yo ho, yo ho" the games via the internet, but there's nothing like having to play a game, regardless of generation on the big TV screen with a good controller.

Goodness knows if they ever released Terranigma in the eShop, I will make a blank check with my name on it, and mail it to Nintendo, and have them write any number for the amount of money I will be paying just to play it on a TV. Okay, I'm so exaggerating, but you get the idea.
I would pay $15 for Terranigma on the eShop, no lie. If it was an import it would probably be worth $12 ($8 base price+$2 in "Supply and demand" money and another $2 from it being an import)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
One day, I stop myself from buying an NES game because I think it's too expensive.

The next day, I spend the same amount on a tuna sandwich that isn't even for me.

So yeah, the prices are fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If certain classic games and consoles are very hard to come by, then the Virtual Console prices are pretty much valid.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think the money you spend on VC is dependent on the amount of nostalgia filler there.

Just as an example, I've spent 50 bucks on PSN classics alone. Not the same system, but you get my idea.

Booster

Smash Lord
Just want to say thanks for not getting pissed at me everyone, I really did see a problem with the prices, not gonna lie, but thinking about it, some of these games cost more on eBay, though $5 for Super Mario Bros NES is alot honestly, I can find Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridges for less then that at my local thrift store.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why not just use emulators? They are free.
Please do not encourage emulator/ROM use on the forum. I know they exist and I know they see a decent amount of use, but that doesn't change the fact that they are illegal.

Booster

Smash Lord
Please do not encourage emulator/ROM use on the forum. I know they exist and I know they see a decent amount of use, but that doesn't change the fact that they are illegal.
They also save moooooooooooooneyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Earthbound $10 on eShop
Earthbound on PC: Free in 1080p HD

(Don't judge me)

Last edited:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They also save moooooooooooooneyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Earthbound $10 on eShop
Earthbound on PC: Free in 1080p HD

(Don't judge me)
Yes doing things illegally typically does save you money. That doesn't change SmashBoards's stance on the discussion of it.

Booster

Smash Lord
Yes doing things illegally typically does save you money. That doesn't change SmashBoards's stance on the discussion of it.
Please tell me you're not one of THOSE Retro game fans...I don't even use save states...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Please tell me you're not one of THOSE Retro game fans...I don't even use save states...
I'm literally just trying to kindly nudge you in the direction of not violating the rules of the forum here and I'm honestly very confused as to why my personal gaming preferences are becoming a part of this discussion since I made no mention or indication of them at all.

Booster

Smash Lord
Your words, not mine.
People brought it up xP

The only thing virtual console has over emulation is being able to play on your TV without painfully configuring a controller, configuring a PS3 controller for SNES emu was a nightmare

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I think it's fair for the most part. But the stinkers like Urban Champion need to be like a dollar tops. IDK, a more personal pricing system would be nice.

Twewy

Smash Lord
If you're having monetary issues, you could always get a job. Joking aside, I agree some games are overpriced, but I also agree there are many good prices on the eShop, such as the Mole Mania example used.​

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I would pay $15 for Terranigma on the eShop, no lie. If it was an import it would probably be worth $12 ($8 base price+$2 in "Supply and demand" money and another $2 from it being an import)
As someone who owned the game for real on the SNES (I'm Australian), I'd easily pay $15 for that. Same deal with SM-RPG that I never owned cause it was NTSC only. Same deal with the NTSC only Earthbound.

The VC needs GC games ASAP though. I know dolphin exists and I do use a Wii classic controller with it easy, but I'd still prefer to play them on the WiiU.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
If you're having monetary issues, you could always get a job. Joking askde, I agree some games are overpriced, but I also agree there are many good prices on the eShop, such as the Mole Mania example used.
I make $20 a week, which is alot for a disabled person to make, but I have to think (Gonna use some examples): Do I REALLY want to spend that much money on an old videogame (No matter how good it is) or do I want to go to Gamestop and get an entire, modern game packed with content for the same price of close to it.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I make $20 a week, which is alot for a disabled person to make, but I have to think (Gonna use some examples): Do I REALLY want to spend that much money on an old videogame (No matter how good it is) or do I want to go to Gamestop and get an entire, modern game packed with content for the same price of close to it.
That's harsh (your situation that is). I feel for ya mate.
And is'n to about new vs old game. It's about what games give you the best experience and more fun. There's a lot of games new and old that are worth the money and some that are not. Just have to work out which ones you like.

Booster

Smash Lord
That's harsh (your situation that is). I feel for ya mate.
And is'n to about new vs old game. It's about what games give you the best experience and more fun. There's a lot of games new and old that are worth the money and some that are not. Just have to work out which ones you like.
Considering Nintendo released Donkey Kong Jr. Math, the worst game they ever developed besides Donkey Kong on Atari 2600 but then that was better, it's not safe to assume that the worst fighting game ever Karate Champ (NES Version) won't be released on Virtual Console.

Seriously I'd rather play Sonic 06 then DKJR Math.

Fun Fact: Donkey Kong Jr grew up to be the Donkey Kong we see in Donkey Kong Country games. Way to show you're better then your dad Donkey Kong Jr.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'd rather pay $20 for something like Earthworm Jim or Tetris Attack than I would, say, Assassin's Creed. EWJ and TA catch my interest, but AsC doesn't, despite having much more content.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Compare the VC price to launch price of the game. Super Mario Bros. 3 was about $50 at the time, and now it's about $5.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
This thread has inspired me to write an editorial piece on my Nintendo blog in a few weeks.

I think the reason Nintendo is doing this is not only to support newer franchises by showing people where they came from, but also to give nostalgic parents a reason to play the same thing their kids are playing.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The VC is way too limited in terms of what they actually have available(N64 should already be there, and GC VC should be released with the GC adapter) and is often overpriced. I'd prefer GB games $1-2, NES $3, SNES $5, N64 $8, and GC $10. A good VC library would make the Wii U release droughts much more bearable. The eShop is poorly designed, and this is really unfortunate because Nintendo has the best library of classic games by a country mile, and a VC system anywhere near what the competition has would be a major selling point for the system.

Top Bottom