• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Virtual Console/HD Remake Concerns

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As the top-selling game throughout the GameCube's entire lifespan, it's definitely a shoo-in that Melee is absolutely going to be rereleased somehow, via a Virtual Console release - the most likely outcome - or an HD collection release, a la Wind Waker.

However, do you think there are going to be issues?

For example, the rerelease of 64 is generally disliked due to frame skipping issues... Do you think it will be the same case, and if it is, how will it be dealt with? Because if it is rereleased, the majority of brand-new Melee players will have that version - that's just simple logic.

Last edited:

polypuff

Smash Rookie
As long as nintendo makes more super smash brothers games, I dont think they will spend time remaking an old one.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
As long as nintendo makes more super smash brothers games, I dont think they will spend time remaking an old one.
Look at Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

I'd personally prefer just a Virtual Console release, but I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of a remake.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Frameskipping would definitely be a problem if released on the VC, but a physical rerelease a la Wind Waker, combined with the GameCube controller adapter, and possibly throwing in extra trophies through Amiibo, it could be a viable alternative to the original Gamecube and disc. Melee is getting expensive, after all.

Whether or not it would be considered the same game is different. NTSC and PAL have small differences that make competitive gameplay very different in some cases. Would the rerelease of Melee on the Wii U be just another version of the PAL, so it's NTSC, PAL, and then NTSC-U? Wind Waker got a bunch of alterations when it released, (most importantly the addition of SELFIES!!!) who knows how it could be altered? Would they even keep the NTSC version? Since PAL was released last, and is thusly the "most perfect" in Nintendo's eyes, would they just rerelease the PAL across all regions?

Most importantly, would Daisy's third eye be in? All of these questions could affect the outcome of Melee.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Frameskipping would definitely be a problem if released on the VC, but a physical rerelease a la Wind Waker, combined with the GameCube controller adapter, and possibly throwing in extra trophies through Amiibo, it could be a viable alternative to the original Gamecube and disc. Melee is getting expensive, after all.

Whether or not it would be considered the same game is different. NTSC and PAL have small differences that make competitive gameplay very different in some cases. Would the rerelease of Melee on the Wii U be just another version of the PAL, so it's NTSC, PAL, and then NTSC-U? Wind Waker got a bunch of alterations when it released, (most importantly the addition of SELFIES!!!) who knows how it could be altered? Would they even keep the NTSC version? Since PAL was released last, and is thusly the "most perfect" in Nintendo's eyes, would they just rerelease the PAL across all regions?

Most importantly, would Daisy's third eye be in? All of these questions could affect the outcome of Melee.
If they add Melee to the VC, I'm pretty sure they'll be careful with the frame rate this time if they know what's good for them. The 64 scene is comparatively peanuts, but they know and have openly acknowledged that the Melee scene is significant. It would be suicide to mess up the game they love when the original release is rapidly becoming not-an-option.

As for the versions, I think we'll all each be getting the one released in our own region.

Last edited:

LLDL

Smash Hero
I can't see them doing a physical release because they'd have to re-make the game. As I understand, wind waker HD is a complete remake, not built or based off of the code from the old wind waker. Do you really want them to try and make melee from scratch? No, just have them send it to the virtual console, good as new.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Recreate the entire game from scratch no, make it a virtual console release is the best option.

Top Bottom