• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Virginia, let's freakin do this! SoVA wants NoVA, and more! April 14th?

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
I'm liking this idea.. but i'm not sure how i can convice abunch of NoVa ppl to drive 4 hours to go to a tourney w/ little payout.. I'd go b/c Chozen <3 SoVa. and i can Give Blues, Redd, Tak, and Masa a ride.. but everyone else.....

Cow

Smash Apprentice
lol these crew battle lineups contain people who likely haven't even looked at this thread ^^;
anyway, i'm gonna try to talk to the director of student activities today.. the problem is evidently that the school tries to receive licensing for any public event it holds, and since nintendo flat out does not license, that creates a problem. They've stated that you can seek legal counsel to see if what you plan to do falls under fair use, but uh, i don't have legal counsel, and the school doesn't care enough. So I've gotta chat with the lady about either turning a blind eye because quite honestly if nintendo cared, there are much bigger tournaments they could be attacking, or transforming it in name to a 'game day' which just happens to be solely ssbm, and involves a spontaneous tournament. cough.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Alright, bad news. The school's official answer is no. Evidently since nintendo doesn't offer licensing the state itself won't allow it, and they're afraid that as a state institution they're under higher scrutiny. So, it's time for a new venue, and likely a higher venue fee =(
I really don't want any more than a $5 venue fee per person, flat rate.
Options:
1. Try to find the cyber cafe place i couldn't locate down here and see if they'd be a reasonable venue, look for other, public options
2. Tope, you said you could have it at your place. It's a little farther out of the way than I intended, but if it's big enough and doesn't involve a venue fee that'd be awesome. I'm hoping for a turnout at least as large as for c-sticks tourney, so if you think you can house that or higher(Wishful thinking but not impossible) lemme know some details
3. gameon said they'd host the tournament, but uh.. i'd have to ask them to A. let us bring our own tvs, B. Give me complete control over how the tournament is run and C. not even imply that we play on DLP tvs, so they're not really an option.

I'll investigate public venues and see what I can pull.

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
That cybercafe is called CyberWockey, Im pretty sure its in Kiln Creek. If you go into Kiln Creek off of Jefferson, turn left at the first light in there and check out the little strip of stores, it should be on the left.

As far as crews...man, we're stretching when we just assume KM is SoVa. No lie, I'd be thrilled to have him on the crew...but he's not really SoVa if he doesnt want to be. Same for all the Richmonders, since technically this dump is...midVa? Doesnt flow. Oh yeah, and FATS I'll play for my spot on that crew list, I noticed Im not on that jank. I will force a Link into that list if its the last thing I do!

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol KM won't play for SoVa.

He's NoVa 100%.

The richmond crew will play for SoVa.

And yea, myself and some of my collegues will be able to house everyone.

As far as I know.

ChozenOne

Smash Champion
Good Shizz.

Sry.. Mr. Rain, i always forget about team Ricmond..

Cyrain is a beast.. so is Nelo. Isra's pretty good too ;)

I doubt Chu/Azen/Chillin will come.. and Raftbuilder is Md.. soo....

who's on NoVa??

adwillia

Smash Apprentice
so no adam on team sova, but u mention KM ROFLMAO, i see how it is colin.....psych nah im gonna be there tho so put me on the dirrty souf team for real.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chozen = Too funny.

I'm sure we could goad KM, g-reg and kirbstir down along with some MDer's so we could have an actual tournament as well, not just this.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
holy crap, if Tope houses this tourney, all of VA will go. richmond = close to everyone in VA. probably no md crowd though.

yeah we should form midva crew, nova crew, and sova crew. so that way I could play.
Tope do you think there are enough people to form a 10 man midva crew?

TouchingtheVoidII

Smash Rookie
Yo ill probably be down for this cause christopher newport isnt very far from my house and if i go i can supply a cube a tv and at least 1 copy of ssbm. Ill have to check though but sounds like a great idea

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
Aww cmon Otis, do I really have to play for it? I cant just have it? You guys are mean. Pokefloats all over your face. Other remark about Link and how hes crazy, You know you love it. But no seriously, if I need to play for my spot thats cool, I just wanna know how many people plan on counterpicking sheik :). Actually for crews I could play Falco or something else if we dont want a Link, admittedly not great in crews sigh... Also I think Adwillia is a given for the SoVa crew, hes a beast.

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
well the question is are we doing 1 charecter per team? thats what i was thinking. if thats ture then some people may get the ax off the top, unless thay have nice 2nds thay can pull.
and yes rad you have to fight for it. other players have been training with me on a semi regular basis and are comeing along quite nicely. this would actually be a good chance to test there new found skills before the tourny.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
alright, cyberwocky was too small and filled with hdtvs we'd have to move out of the way, and ascendcygaming was small and sketchy and i don't think i'll bother trying to host something in there. Does anyone know estimated rates for renting a conference room or something of the sort at a hotel? I'm sure they vary greatly from place to place and hotel to hotel, but i'm just trying to get an idea of whether or not it's something reasonable to pursue.
Anyone have any info on other venues to consider?

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, in a few months I should be able to have a huge venue for us, but like I said not for a while. My home church just built a rec center and I made sure that video game tourneys were a possibility, so once that is set up we should be able to run a tourney every once in a while with space being a non issue. And Im glad SoVas getting better, sounds like its time for me to start training again muhaha. Oh, and Im working on another jank stage, so be warned...

That said, I propose that for the round robin we only use the neutral stages included in the crews format, since jank stages wont really come into play much in the tourney. Why do I feel like I just shot myself in the foot?

CStick

Smash Lord
whoa, wait...how did this all go into crews?

also, since when was ricky, ECE, and special K SoVA? i'm not bashing them like they suck (cuz they dont), but....like...I thought ECE/Ricky were NoVA and that Special K wasnt even from VA :confused:

Also, we have Lee, Ether, and kitsune to take into consideration, especially after his upset pullings over me and Lee. Also, Rad isnt garbage, so he should be thrown in there somewhere

If Tope, meep, etc. fight for SoVA, then that kinda stacks our crew alot

Tope
meep
Cyrain
Rad
Ether
O-NO
Lee
Kitsune
Rad
CStick
Rahil from what kitsune says
and a few others...

thats ten right there, and i'm sure richmond would have a few more that could bump some others out of the list. i think it'll be better just to wait and see who shows up and how the tourney goes first, cuz i'm sure it will be more clear-cut in deciding by then

..not to mention how some peeps go to school down here but dont live here, so that makes things wierd as well. *coughAdwilliaCowEtc.cough*

I say decide on the actual tourney day. doing this **** online never seems to work

also, what the **** is up with that "teams cant have doubles of characters" crap? SoVA alone has like 5 falcos and 3 foxes @_@

Cow

Smash Apprentice
yeah i'd just decide when we get there, realistically i think we'd just want balanced teams moreso than nitpicking who is from where
but yeah technically... Me, Adwillia, Fats and Xlax all live in Nova but go to school down here.. and if you were picky about that, you'd be losing a hefty chunk of talent, imo.

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
We dont really mine coal, we hoard it in anticipation of the loss of oil when the Middle East catches on fire. All that oil underground just cant be safe!

Much love to CStick for putting me on the list twice. As far as the double char thing, it would be hot to force no double chars, but I dont know if we want to be that extreme. Id be all for it though.

Yeah, we'll just take some friendly time to figure out crews. Another suggestion: people playing for spots on crews need to only play their one character. I mean, its not like were gonna change midmatch that much. Ouch, the other foot! Either way, this is sounding fun, cant wait to find a venue for this. Oh yeah, and we only have love for our commuters. 'Cause SoVa is chill like that. We're like an entire region of KMs, just without most of the skill.

CStick

Smash Lord
Three things:

1)- oops Rad, I'm out of it atm lolz

2)-eff you chozen. I like fishing :(

3)-I'm not nitpicking about it, I'm just pointing it out. i'd personally have no prob with anyone being thrown anywhere. just as long as its fun and somewhat balanced and not a one-sided blowout. but even then, its not my say. If anything, SoVA would need the help lol cuz overall we would only have a 5-man crew otherwise >_>

adwillia

Smash Apprentice
i mean, if we're only doing one char thats a bunch of malarki.....seeing as how my peach isnt as good as cows peach and my falcos not as good as fats's falco nor is my fox up to any level etc etc etc....i mean, am i supposed to play mario LMAO

not to mention, i am under the influence of alcohol so let me know if this post doesnt make sense

edit also i appreciate the support from cstick rad and ono, i just notice i am on absolutely no one's list, and well, gosh darn, im a mini km, just ask him ROFLMAO, but seriously, the king of sova wants to know whats up, and by king of sova i mean cow

Radnortuws

Smash Journeyman
Cow is too busy hacking memory cards to pull multiple stitchfaces in each game when he plays. That kid uses hax, no lie. Our last match was so full of stitchface I got whiplash. It was great. Yeah, an update would be great as far as tourney location and status and all that. We need location!

Cow

Smash Apprentice
well atm we're locationless, Unless something pops up, our current options are..
That karate dojo cstick's friend mentioned? if it's big enough and has tables/chairs/outlets, it sounds pretty reasonable
Tope's? I dunno, first i thought he said he could host it but last post he only said house the people so idk what's up there
A hotel conference room? They don't have pricing online.. but i don't think i can rent one for like 12 hours and not lose some money for keeping the venue fee low. I'm not charging more than $5 for this, that'd be nonsense. I'd rather not charge at all, but I don't exactly have a free place to hold it ATM. There's my apartment, but... it can't hold the kind of turnout i hope this thing will have

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, I could have it at my place.

As far as a solely richmond crew.

I could come up with 10 decent people.

We would get Rad however. XP

I'll let you guys know a date and such in a few days. My house is fairly large, so I don't think we'll be crammed into the garage all cold and stuff, but we'll see.

Would everyone be able to bring enough set ups and surge protectors?

Also I would charge a 1 or 2 dollar venue fee just to buy chips and soda for everyone.

Also I guess we'd do 10$ Singles, 20$ teams, and 5$ per person for crew battles.

So all together that'd be 26$... too much for SoVa?

The requirements for the crew battle would be : Is going to school in or permanently lives in (SoVa, NoVa, MiVa.)

O-NO

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo CA! (for lowlifes that dont know) Teh Bea
You should rename your "crew" to "Team Sock Puppets".. Go home and learn to play some humans you nublets. Doll+Peach=All of SoVa's stock gone.
time for some ssbmath

sock puppets> chozen ^2
o-no = jack of all trades ( - d!ck face yoshi XD)
o-no + chozen^2 < Doll !?!?
cow, ill talk to cstick tomorrow about the dojo guy and ill let you know on saturday.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
having a miva crew would even out the teams nicely, even if tope knocks out 16 stock.

umm, I do kinda like the idea of no repeat characters. I want falco dittos with people too. it's gotten better, but its still not adwillia quality. but yeah, we could have
adwillia bust out his samus (the marth exterminator),
myself as ganon, unless cstick wants to fight for it
Lee = zelda (death goddess)
O-No = Falco/marth = brokenness ftw
cow = peach madness
ether = fox
c stick = marth ( i hope)
Rahil plays a good falcon

this may seem like a team of scrubs, but it'll force the other teams to rely on their secondaries, so we may stand a chance

adwillia

Smash Apprentice
yo i havent played samus in a hot minute, but i think it should go like this

lee- zelda
colin- ganon
cow- mew2........psych peach
ono- falco
ether- ive never seen u play but i hear u have a good fox
rad- link

then i dunno, because i think my marth would be a crew rapist, but thats just from my point of view, and i'd be down to have to fight for the spot to play marth. but if not then it finishes out like this:

cstick- marth
tech(he plays samus right?)- samus
and i'd rock sheik i guess, or just double up on peach, marth, falco

someone tell me how that looks?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i have no clue if i can go to this yet or not....... BUT i will be glad to captain the NoVA team. i am nova born and raised, and once represented team NOVA with adwillia, down in VA beach. our ranks will not be as deep as the VA team, but ill see what kinda team i can put together for this. hopefully this will be good times.

BlackheartLee

Smash Rookie
what yall know about a lv9 c-falcon for anchor!!!!
Wow, the whole time I thought this was supposed to be a friendly thing. Now you're talking about bringing Prof. Bad-as$ himself!? If you're going to bring him in, screw putting him in anchor -- let him lead the team!

That way I can sit back and relax whilst watching the truest God of Smash weave yet another one of his masterpieces.

Cow

Smash Apprentice
.. without midva sova is pretty screwed, haha. not gonna lie
but wherever i go, peach is ready to take some stock off of a clearly better player with well placed downsmashes.

CStick

Smash Lord
FATS: we could play off for ganon, but I would prolly be better off playing my Fox, unless I can bring back my now trashy Marth

and yea, without Midva, there wouldnt even be a solid SoVA line-up, let alone an actual 10-man SoVA line-up in the first place :(

Also, if Tope and meep are gonna form their own crew and **** everyone, then a SoVA crew would look something like this:

CStick-Fox, Ganon, Marth
Rad-Link
O-NO-Falco, Peach
Lee-CF
Ether-Fox, Marth
Adwillia-Falco, Peach, Marth, Shiek
Cow-Peach
Kitsune-Falco
Rahil-CF
FATS-Ganon

I throw Fats in there over Tech for three reasons:
-Tech most likely wont go
-Tech plays a janky insightful style; he isnt really good in just going out there and just playing, he needs to get a feel of how to fight you first, so he would most likely suck in crews where he cant play multiple matches
-Tech doesnt play much anymore (if at all), so there's no telling how he'd perform

Top Bottom