• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Tutorial: Recovery with Meta Knight

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. I'm not sure if anyone posted in here back when I did, but it's been a few months since I've been active in the MK forums. I was hoping to come back and see some huge developments. Unfortunately, that hasn't really happened. I've only seen Snake suddenly considered cheaper than MK, which I honestly did not see coming!

Please don't bash MK in this thread. There are plenty of others for that. My personal opinion will remain my own, however.

Ok, introductions are over. Here's my disclaimer, followed by the and then my own commentary:

DISCLAIMER: This video will not make you good at Meta Knight. The things shown in this may or may not require minimal practice. You are not better than me, and if you are then I'm clearly wrong, but this video is not. Some of my comments may seem obvious to some of the readers. I tried to write this with everyone in mind. That being said, I hope you take something good away from here or leave something better. Happy Brawling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ufiN3dEeA4 - Sorry for the lack of music or special effects...I'm not an expert in video editing and I didn't have time to play with it.

"Below the stage" is defined by me as the below the horizontal line that could be drawn from the grab-able edge of the stage.

Notes on the Shuttle Loop

Ok, there are a few things I'd like to say. First and foremost: The Shuttle Loop DOES have the best recovery capability. I showed the "trick" that failed in the video, but for anyone who wasn't paying attention, I didn't start the up-and-down immediately. If I had, I would have been able to recovery easily. In fact, it can recovery from areas I labeled as "dead areas" at the end.

However! The Shuttle Loop puts you in a gliding stage that is very predictable. Unless you go under and around the stage**, you leave yourself open to attacks from your opponent, EVEN IF YOU JUST KILLED THEM. This is because you are recovering from so far away (see video) that they are already back in action.

Also, it's easier to make a mistake when recovering with the shuttle loop when you start from below the stage.

Conclusion: Only rely on the Shuttle Loop when starting safely from ABOVE the stage or if you suspect you are in a "dead area."

**Going under the stage is dangerous in itself. You may get stuck when trying to go up to the edge. Also, it's not possibly to traverse the area below every stage.

What does this mean for your Meta Knight?

- Well, this means that if you didn't chase people off the stage as far as possible from fear of running out of jumps, then now you can.
- If you didn't chase people off and ruthlessly slaughter them, then now you know just how far you can go. Basically as far as you want to!

Other Notes

- Even if you are immediately below the stage and out of jumps, you can still recover by using the Drill Rush toward the nearest edge. Just don't curve it too early. (Only tested in FD...it's a pretty wide level, though)
- The Mach Tornado and Drill Rush both give you excellent defense if you are trying to recover after being knocked off. The Drill Rush also sweet spots.
- DANGER: The Mach Tornado does not sweet spot. If it ends while you are directly next to the edge, you will fall to your death. When using the Mach Tornado to recover, you MUST have risen a bit above the stage before it ends...but hopefully you made it on top.

Extra

I'm willing to update the video and this thread with any information I think of or is contributed by the community. This includes typos, errors, orginial ideas, etc.

Also, I can make other videos if I get bored. Just let me know what you want to know. I can make demonstrations or tutorials. Just keep it to Meta Knight.

Any demonstrations in match-ups will unfortunately be against a level 9 computer. I do not have friends that play every character well. I promise to record several matches and choose the best one where I can pause and point out important notes. I don't mind making these, but hopefully I won't get any of these requests.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
This will most likely help those new to Meta Knight; however, there is some incorrect data.

Starting with the video:

At 0:33 you could of easily recovered if you "glided" properly.

At 0:54 you could of grabbed or landed on either side of the stage.

In your stated "wrong" situations like 1:33, you could of recovered using 'stage trimming' ( see my video here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jZy1v0_S2wU ) - thus making the statement at 1:50 not entirely accurate.

Your drill rushes were pretty good - altho you didn't make mention of all situations and how to recover when drilling into the stage from below.

No dimensional cape coverage but it's pretty self-explainatory.

Perhaps a little more in depth on making the glide last longer by going up and down.

Few other tricks not covered.

Over all not too bad! Definately will help new MKs get started.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
A quick note. This little project was done very quickly. I didn't have a lot of time, but I had gotten bored of playing around with computers. I appreciate the feedback, and here are my responses, broken up into sections corresponding to your own.

You're right that at :33 I could have recovered if gliding properly (I covered this in the notes in my post). Same with :54. By the time you reached the other side (when gliding properly), you could actually gain significant altitude (although by the time I ever got that high, I was too far from the edge to fall back onto it...it's usually better to aim directly for the edge.)

You're wrong about 1:33. I couldn't have used stage trimming (nice trick, btw...I didn't know about it). The point about it being wrong was that if you timed the Mach Tornado after your jump incorrectly, you just simply wouldn't gain enough altitude before the Tornado ended. I was referring more to momentum in that example than the part where I bounced off...although running into the edge of the stage like that is definitely WRONG. So saying it was wrong was correct either way. When I update the video, I'll be sure to clarify that. By the way, I'd like to include "stage trimming" in the update. Do you know if anyone is credited for having discovered it?

I didn't make mention of all the drill rush uses in the video, but I explained a good deal of it in the notes that followed.

Nope, no dimensional cape stuff. I don't use it much, but like you said, using it would be pretty straight forward.

And I don't mind going more in depth on making the glide last longer (and gaining more altitude) when I update.

What are some other tricks I didn't cover? I'll be covering a few of my own discoveries next time that involve ways to out-maneuver your opponent while being edge-guarded, but I may not know all the tricks out there. I pulled myself away from the community for a few months to let things develop.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Will do. I'm off rock climbing in the mountains up near my girlfriend's house in Vermont for the weekend. When I get back, I'll work on making an updated tutorial. Here are some things to look foward to:

- Music
- Better transitions and flow (tips for this are welcomed!)
- In-depth look at gliding properties.
- Demonstration of stage trimming.
- Info from my OP

Keep suggestions and comments coming. If you have any questions, just let me know.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
I'll be sure to do that! I'm assuming you have an excellent technique that I can put into the video :p

On a more serious note: Any suggestions are fine as long as they are relevant. Even if it's obvious. If it wasn't in the video, then I can put it there. I came up with a lot of ideas of my own, and the list was so long, I'm considering a couple things:

A) Splitting my ideas into two or more videos.
B) Making a more general tutorial on Meta Knight's specials.

If anyone has any nice tricks using the Dimensional Cape, that would be excellent. Besides a fancy (but unnecessary) edgehog, I have yet to see anything particularly useful for it. If that remains the case, I will continue to exclude it from the video.

waks

Smash Journeyman
Nice vid man. Dimensional Cape can be a fancy (or faster?) way to hug the edge instead of running off the stage and pressing back asap so you hog the edge. Just not sure which is faster.

IceDX

Smash Ace
NNID
TheIceDX001
Nice vid u should have focused a bit more on pressing down then up after the shuttle Loop to gain hight bc some people aret awere of this or aret use to it ....Dimencional cape can also be used for an effective recovery.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Nice vid man. Dimensional Cape can be a fancy (or faster?) way to hug the edge instead of running off the stage and pressing back asap so you hog the edge. Just not sure which is faster.
Yeah, I mentioned that in my last thread. It's fancy, and makes you look cool. But it's not really necessary. I do believe it's slightly faster, but it's also more dangerous and the very small amount of speed you gain isn't really worth it. It's only something to use if you really want to look cool lol

Nice vid u should have focused a bit more on pressing down then up after the shuttle Loop to gain hight bc some people aret awere of this or aret use to it ....Dimencional cape can also be used for an effective recovery.
Yeah, I'll be going more in depth into this next time. When recovering from far away and below the stage, though, it's very very easy to accidentally dip too low (and die immediately), even if you only go down a small amount.

I'll be demonstrating the lowest point you can go (in FD, and perhaps Battlefield) before you just suicide with that method. And I'll also demonstrate how to use it properly to gain height (and lot's of it). I'll use the classic Temple demonstration to show definitive proof that it can be done (in case anyone happens to be skeptical) and then I'll apply it to use in a regular tourney stage (again...FD, and perhaps Battlefield)

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Wow, my thread made it into a sticky. I guess whenever I get around to stealing my Wii back from my brother, I should brush up my skills and actually remake this vid like I said I would.

Top Bottom