• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO: Showing how Uair and DThrow True Combos into Knee

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
A video I whipped up really quick to show that it's possible to combo into Knee with Uair and DThrow and it registers as a true combo.

It's fairly hard to do even with the conditions being met, so this is something useful to share with people who don't believe that these combos are possible.

Rad

Smash Ace
Even if it's not 100% guaranteed the risk to reward is very high in a lot of situations.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Even if it's not 100% guaranteed the risk to reward is very high in a lot of situations.
I agree. I do think grounded Uair into Knee is going to be very vital to Falcon's meta in the future. It's very reminiscent to the uair scoop into knee in Melee...just need to test to see if you can DI out of it.

Rad

Smash Ace
I'm not 100% up to date on mechanics but uair will always be stale right?

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Sometimes uair going stale is good for Falcon, though. Easy combos!

Here's a tip to make this combo useful: be fast. Dashgrab is godly in this game, if you grab someone out of freaking nowhere and d-throw him/her IMMEDIATELY, they probably won't have time to react and thus be unable to DI out of your Justice's way.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I agree. I do think grounded Uair into Knee is going to be very vital to Falcon's meta in the future. It's very reminiscent to the uair scoop into knee in Melee...just need to test to see if you can DI out of it.
Well the uair into knee is fairly impossible to DI out of unless they're playing Jiggs or something. I mean they can make the job tougher but at the right percents you can always adjust to match the DI from a landing uair. It's only when you stretch it too far that they can DI out of it (so at really high percents where you have to use your double jump to chase). Or from dthrow, which people are starting to figure out how to DI away from (though certain characters are still susceptible to it and there will always be missed DI).

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
One of my favorite ways to set up D-throw Knee against people has been to pivot grab when they give a good opening rather than regular grab and throw them before they can readjust their DI, since most people have the sense to DI away from Falcon during D-throw, quickly pivot grabbing them can make them DI D-throw pretty much the worst way possible. At early percents the bad DI gives you a free Nair into at least Uair, and of course the knee at higher percents.

Eriol-kun

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eriolkun
3DS FC
0619-3946-4344
Kinda want to see someone more experienced than me show it with at least the first few highly rated characters so far (so like, Diddy, Sheik, RosaLuma, Yoshi, etc.) because I can consistently get the training mode register uAir -> KoJ as a true combo but never dThrow -> KoJ even experimenting with different percentages on Sheik.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Someone who owns the game needs to let us know if staling is actually like Brawl or not.

In Brawl, testing combos in training mode didn't work because nothing ever staled, and all hits registered as 100% damage (first hit in ACTUAL games registered as 105%, and you could actually only do '100%' base damage from scaling if you queued up your moves perfectly).

I haven't gotten to experiment with the game quite enough, and knowing if it's the same would really help with crafting up combos because different % ranges will actually be different based on uair staling.

I do love this discovery by victra, even if the % ranges turn out to vary ever so slightly.

Dekar173

Justice Man
So it's exactly like Brawl in that regard. What about in actual matches? Is it the queue system where it starts off with 9%, 8% etc. ? If so when you stale your uair 2-3x it's definitely not going to chain into fair at the percents noted in training mode.

This is crucial information for understanding whether things will actually combo outside of training mode, and for helping us develop new combos.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Overall, the stale move qualities in Smash 4 seem fairly similar to that of brawl. I haven't run any deep tests, but in Home-Run Contest the Captain's f-tilt damage percents decreased as shown below, with each number representing a consecutive hit:

9, 8, 8, 7, 6

I imagine that they decrease by a certain percentile. However, after reaching a certain point the damage began switching between 5 and 6. I can't say that sweetspots were not a factor in this, as it was just a quick test I ran. I didn't measure how knockback is affected, which is the true factor that comes in to play here.

EDIT: Given some thought, when the knockback is affected, wouldn't that just make it all the easier to set up the next uair? It should also give the defending player less time to initiate a counter or dodge the attack.

Last edited:

Dekar173

Justice Man
Went ahead and messed with training mode/staling to find out if it works the same way as Brawl, and it does.

This means basically that if you want to find out new combos, you're gonna need to do so using normal games in order to find out actual % range (if that's your sort of thing).

It's great to know uair > fair and dthrow > fair actually DO combo, but Smash 4's limitations have wasted your time in finding % ranges :/

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
You should see if it works only on certain characters or a lot of them, but knowing that it's a true combo makes me really happy, now we just need a true combo for the falcon punch...

Top Bottom