• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video proof Slipping/tripping is stupidest thing in the history of Smash

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
There's really no point. After playing a game and having this happen to me,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfzrmqIYP_A @ 00:38

I think it's the dumbest thing Sakurai has ever done in the history of Smash.

This was just a friendly match and wasn't evenly matched either. SH91 was trying out his Ike and my Fox is pretty matured, but imagine a very close match and tournament. It's like randomly spawning exploding capsules all over again, but there's no fix (as of yet)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I used to not care as much, but I didn't realize it would make you lag so much that you can get hit by an Ike fSmash

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
You know, people say get over it, but after a month of playing Brawl, and it's happened to everyone, they're all just going to complain about it.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
That really does suck for you.
But aren't you able to tech out of a trip instantly?
You have to wait until he's flat on the floor, you get invincibility frames when you are getting out of it. This was also Wi-Fi so I could not get out of it even if it looks like I had a 1-2 frame opening but if the fSmash was a little earlier and local fight, it's impossible to avoid.

You have to wait until he's flat on the floor, you get invincibility frames when you are getting out of it. This was also Wi-Fi so I could not get out of it even if it looks like I had a 1-2 frame opening but if the fSmash was a little earlier and local fight, it's impossible to avoid.
I'm so sure if it's right as you hit the floor, I thought I'd had seen it when the character is starting the trip that the player can hit shield to tech out of it but I'm not sure. I don't have the game so you're probably right.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
That really does suck for you.
But aren't you able to tech out of a trip instantly?
No.

I haven't played the game so this is just a guess, but I'd be shocked if there weren't some frames of complete vulnerability after the fall that you can do nothing about. I could be wrong about that, we shall see, but when you trip right smack in the middle a combo sequence, you can't always anticipate a random trip. I'll wager that even the most skilled players in the world won't always be able to always react instantly.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I really like how people can say "get over it". Random tripping is a horrible, horrible disadvantage for all Brawl players. It definately should not be taken lightly in the competitive scene.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I'm so sure if it's right as you hit the floor, I thought I'd had seen it when the character is starting the trip that the player can hit shield to tech out of it but I'm not sure. I don't have the game so you're probably right.
When I mean flat, I mean when you have that sitting down animation. It's like when you get attacked and lying on the floor, you can press A and attack while being invulnerable, but when you're in the motion of tripping up to the point where you're sitting on the floor you're completely vulnerable, that's why I said if the fSmash was a little earlier it's impossible to get out of.

And WastingPenguins is right, in a fast paced you don't expect to randomly trip and to realize you're tripping, realize there's an attack coming and timing your recovery, ugh

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I really like how people can say "get over it". Random tripping is a horrible, horrible disadvantage for all Brawl players. It definately should not be taken lightly in the competitive scene.
This is me pretending to care...

Okay done.

Honestly, I don't give ****, learn to adapt or don't play it at all.
Whining isnt going to make it go away.
I don't care if you think it's "HORRIBLE!"
It's in the game, so put up or shut up.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Actually, after watching it again, I DID try to get up. There are two frames of recovery motion before I got hit. Every time it happens, I say it's because "Sakurai hates you"
Technically the game can be patched, but I doubt Sakurai will ever do it.

If brawl makes you trip, Stand up
Ha... nice comedy relief.

When I mean flat, I mean when you have that sitting down animation. It's like when you get attacked and lying on the floor, you can press A and attack while being invulnerable, but when you're in the motion of tripping up to the point where you're sitting on the floor you're completely vulnerable, that's why I said if the fSmash was a little earlier it's impossible to get out of.

And WastingPenguins is right, in a fast paced you don't expect to randomly trip and to realize you're tripping, realize there's an attack coming and timing your recovery, ugh
Alright, thanks for the clarification. Me thinks it might be able to be teched out of initially (for some reason that's really odd and against logic) but needs testing.
In the mean time, tripping really is the worst thing ever.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Actually, after watching it again, I DID try to get up. There are two frames of recovery motion before I got hit. Every time it happens, I say it's because "Sakurai hates you"
Technically the game can be patched, but I doubt Sakurai will ever do it.
Why try to fix something that isnt broken?
If it was a glitch I can see a need for a patch, but it isn't...soooo
People just need to learn to deal with it, I honestly LIKE the tripping(Twlight Zone)
It makes people think, and lets you try to figure out how to play more stradigy like.

I like how this game makes you think about your attacks before you execute them instead of just running and bashing the crap out of your opponent. Tripping just adds to it
Want to avoid tripping? Change your attack pattern.

Zjiin

Smash Master
lol, it's not like you couldn't have gotten up right after that and not gotten hit. Deal with tripping or play a different game.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
I like how this game makes you think about your attacks before you execute them instead of just running and bashing the crap out of your opponent. Tripping just adds to it
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard on the topic of tripping. We should just forget about running on the ground altogether.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard on the topic of tripping. We should just forget about running on the ground altogether.
Lol, k whatever you say.
I never said STOP RUNNING Just think before you attack seriously.

And honestly, just DEAL WITH IT.
It's not GOING ANYWHERE..just put up or shut up learn to adapt and play.

I don't know about you but I welcome everything In Brawl INCLUDING tripping.

I think that's the idea of Brawl.
I know most people here hate reading to far into what the DOJO has said, but one of the statements on there said a majority of fierce battles end up in the air. I think the game's setup is discouraging us from using the ground a lot... I think this was done because that's how Melee was played. Mostly right off the ground, not even that far into the air.

EDIT:
Lol, k whatever you say.

That's good you're a pretty little conformist, but this is an incident where it very obviously couldn't have been avoided once he hit flat on the ground after the trip. It is a problem for the players who are competitive.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Stop failing, dude. There's nothing beneficial or strategic about randomly falling over. There's no way to counter it because you don't know when it's going to happen. It was a dumb idea to include it in the game. Period. Thus it is reasonable to complain about it. If you don't want to hear complaining about something that is generally gay, then just don't respond to this thread.
But don't act like "oh I actually like tripping, it was such a good idea".

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
You must get over it!

If it's a disadvantage for everyone, then it's fair.

If you want to ban all randomness, you'd better ban G&W, Luigi, and Peach.

I could be wrong about this, but I expect that there is some in-game mechanism for safely recovering from tripping. Maybe once everyone plays the game for a few months, we'll already know how to recover from it and the only thing that it will do is interrupt our combos.

Please stop pointing to individual instances of player failure and blaming it on tripping.

That is all.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, that was the stupidest tying I've ever read. Triping has nothing to do with your attack pattenr, it's totally random, so WTF would changing your attack pattern do?

EDIT: This was directed at DarkShdowRage

Zjiin

Smash Master
Anyone who complains about tripping is probably someone who hasn't played the game yet. When i trip, i know to respond fast and the invincibility frames have saved me in a lot more siutations than it has killed me.

For those of you who can't take it, i know a great game for you that has no tripping and is nearly the same. Super Smash Bros Melee!

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
You must get over it!

If it's a disadvantage for everyone, then it's fair.

If you want to ban all randomness, you'd better ban G&W, Luigi, and Peach.

I could be wrong about this, but I expect that there is some in-game mechanism for safely recovering from tripping. Maybe once everyone plays the game for a few months, we'll already know how to recover from it and the only thing that it will do is interrupt our combos.

Please stop pointing to individual instances of player failure and blaming it on tripping.

That is all.
No one said tripping wasn't fair. Short Fuse is saying that it is DUMB. It doesn't benefit anyone.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I hope there is some way to quit the tripping thing (excepto for luigi and his FS.

Action replay, maybe?

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Stop failing, dude. There's nothing beneficial or strategic about randomly falling over. There's no way to counter it because you don't know when it's going to happen. It was a dumb idea to include it in the game. Period. Thus it is reasonable to complain about it. If you don't want to hear complaining about something that is generally gay, then just don't respond to this thread.
But don't act like "oh I actually like tripping, it was such a good idea".
I'm going to wait until I've played Brawl for a while before I take a stance on tripping. That does not in any way change the fact that tripping is in the game, so if you're going to play the game, you'd better get used to it.

I repeat, for effect: GET OVER IT.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
*scratches head* have people honestly not seen the video. I did try to recover, you can check the video. My recovery attempt was about 2 frames before getting smacked by the fSmash. I wasn't invincible in those 2 frames. I came back to beat ShadowHero1991 but that's not the point, the point is, it's the dumbest thing ever. Sakurai has done some silly things in the past but this one takes the cake. That was the point I was trying to get across.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
No one said tripping wasn't fair. Short Fuse is saying that it is DUMB. It doesn't benefit anyone.
I never said that he said it wasn't fair. I was only indicating that, by his own admission, it is fair, since it is a disadvantage for everyone (though I'm not sure I buy that yet).

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Why try to fix something that isnt broken?
If it was a glitch I can see a need for a patch, but it isn't...soooo
People just need to learn to deal with it, I honestly LIKE the tripping(Twlight Zone)
It makes people think, and lets you try to figure out how to play more stradigy like.

You can adapt a strategy to play around an entirely random occurence? That'd require some elaboration.

Zjiin

Smash Master
*scratches head* have people honestly not seen the video. I did try to recover, you can check the video. My recovery attempt was about 2 frames before getting smacked by the fSmash. I wasn't invincible in those 2 frames. I came back to beat ShadowHero1991 but that's not the point, the point is, it's the dumbest thing ever. Sakurai has done some silly things in the past but this one takes the cake. That was the point I was trying to get across.
You didn't recover fast enough. Period.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I'm going to wait until I've played Brawl for a while before I take a stance on tripping. That does not in any way change the fact that tripping is in the game, so if you're going to play the game, you'd better get used to it.

I repeat, for effect: GET OVER IT.
No one said that he/she wouldn't play the game because there is tripping, but there is nothing wrong with bringing light to the fact that it wasn't a good idea to include it in the game.
That's all Short Fuse is saying.

It's ridiculous how many people around here are unwilling to acknowledge that Brawl might not be as perfect as they'd hoped.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
Tripping doesn't bother me all that much. We've already been playing with characters such as Peach and G&W that have these kind of random elements that can heavily influence a match. Now it's just extended into the basic gameplay. Be prepared and ready for it and it'll rarely influence the outcome of any given stock; when it does, chalk it up to bad luck. The times tripping has cost me a stock so far aren't any more common than Peach pulling a bomb or stitchface, really.

Claymore

Smash Rookie
Lol, k whatever you say.

You don't have to sound like a fanboy about it, you can welcome it but he is entitled to not liking it there (as many many people are not happy about it, for valid reasons). You say to incorporate tripping into strategy, but from all testing it is random. Playing a complete sky game to prevent it from happening is just limiting options of the characters moves and makes it so that the game is slower paced (pretty predictable if all your moves are aerials or specials in the air, no shield, limited time to get attacks out etc).

However, I do agree with you on the fact that it is there, it is not going away, learn to at least minimize it happening in a situation where you'll get toasted. But you cannot adapt to something with random odds of happening. Only limit its occurrence. It's still going to cost matches sometimes, and that's the dilemma, was it player error, or was it random chance that just fate was not on your side. Having the latter happen is disheartening, you may had been a better player or very very equal, but instead of your opponent making a slip and you taking advantage of it, or a well played mind game, you slip instead because the Smash gods deem you should and you eat sword in your face.

I'll love smash and it will be awesome, but I wish options were there. I.e. Tripping On/off.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
You didn't recover fast enough. Period.
There was a 1 frame delay between landing from the trip and me starting the recovery move. 1 frame = 1/60 sec = 16.66ms
And this was on Wi-Fi so considering the lag my controller input timing was probably perfect. Inescapable. Period.

As I said before, I wasn't too upset about tripping, until it makes me lag into an inescapable Ike fSmash. Now all i can say is "Wow, that was really stupid Sakurai. What were you thinking?"

Top Bottom