• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique.

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Hi Trypt.

-First thing I would work on a bit would be implementing some short hops and fast falling.

-I like your use of aerial needles. It's also good to throw some ground needles occasionally; especially to force that Marth to approach. Fully charging them up and keeping them until the time is right is good too. Mix it up some. Especially against defensive Marths.

-When recovering try and get out of the habit of using your 2nd jump early. Saving your 2nd jump is usually the best option because you can use it to sweet spot the ledge, do a surprise aerial, or link it to an up-B to sweet spot the ledge.

+++I really like your use of wavedashing backwards and wavelanding and generally keeping mobile. Honestly those are things I need to work on myself.

~Dug

p.s. Like your name. When I play the occasional MMORPG I go by Trypticon and some other transformer names :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Try to work on incorporating more grabs into your game. It's really not safe to continue dash attacking their shield and even ftilt can be punished if misspaced. Grabs destroy Marth. They lead into fairs, uairs, or ftilts, which lead to fairs or uairs. Also, Sheik has a CG on Marth at certain %'s.

Trypt

Smash Cadet
First of all, thank you both for your tips!

First thing I would work on a bit would be implementing some short hops and fast falling.
This is something I've been working on slowly, short hopping with Sheik is pretty difficult and usually when I'm mid game I can never really get it off, I can shffl perfectly in practice mode or against CPUs, but with pressure on me I can't ever actually pull it off, except against Peach, because I die if I don't, haha.

I like your use of aerial needles. It's also good to throw some ground needles occasionally; especially to force that Marth to approach.
Recently (as of the last 2-3 days) the Marth I play with, Dr. R, has started approaching with shffl'd nairs, and I can't find a say way to get through it. I'll be posting videos of this soon and hopefully you guys can help me out.

It's really not safe to continue dash attacking their shield and even ftilt can be punished if misspaced.
This is a problem I have on most of the cast. I can't really approach Marth with aerials or else I just get tilted/smashed back, so I'm not sure how to come at him on the ground, or even how to get in when he's coming at me. I end up resorting to dash attack because it's fast but I end up getting sheild grabbed/cc'd, etc.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Recently (as of the last 2-3 days) the Marth I play with, Dr. R, has started approaching with shffl'd nairs, and I can't find a say way to get through it. I'll be posting videos of this soon and hopefully you guys can help me out.
I believe Sheik can CC Marth's nair at low %'s, but don't quote me on it. Other than that, Marth's nair hits pretty high, so you could probably intercept it w/ a low attack like dtilt.

This is a problem I have on most of the cast. I can't really approach Marth with aerials or else I just get tilted/smashed back, so I'm not sure how to come at him on the ground, or even how to get in when he's coming at me. I end up resorting to dash attack because it's fast but I end up getting sheild grabbed/cc'd, etc.
Well, for me, the best thing to do against Marth is to bait out his moves so that you can punish the lag of his moves. Most of Marth's attacks come out fast but have some quite punishable lag. DD/WD around a bit, pretend to approach, but then WD back and see if you get a reaction that you can capitalize on. An AC fair can usually string into a jab>grab or just a grab. You can also utilize your aerial needles to try to setup some grab situations. Don't eliminate dash attack completely, since it comes out fast and does send them at quite a nice trajectory, but use it much more sparingly.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
This is something I've been working on slowly, short hopping with Sheik is pretty difficult and usually when I'm mid game I can never really get it off, I can shffl perfectly in practice mode or against CPUs, but with pressure on me I can't ever actually pull it off, except against Peach, because I die if I don't, haha.
I have full faith you can learn how to SH against more than just Peach.

SH fair & bair are good counters for nair because of how their hitboxes mesh against his.

Alternatively, hit under it. DD dash attack, or some kind of tilt.

Sheik doesn't 'approach'. Just try to out-bait him right now. SH fair & bair are invaluable for this.

Also, aim your dash attack further behind him if you're running into shield grab issues because you can just cross him up with it.

Generally you want to be behind Marth anyway, if I remember anything about the MU at all. In close quarters it's kind of one big movement dance. And you just don't want to commit first. You can duck his grabs at some range. I forget what this means in terms of shield pressure and the dance.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Oh, I was playing around with Marth the other day, and I noticed that whenever I used a very badly spaced nair and my body ran into the opponent, I'd hear a 'thunk' sound (kind of like a weak knee from Falcon) and the opponent would still get hit, albeit very lightly. Is Marth's body also a hitbox for his nair? O_o

Trypt

Smash Cadet
Thank you guys so much for your tips! I'll try not to bait him into punishable approaches, and hopefully I'll see more consistent success. I'm not sure what you meant by "AC (auto-canceled?) fairs. I know the term, but I'm not sure how to do it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Thank you guys so much for your tips! I'll try not to bait him into punishable approaches, and hopefully I'll see more consistent success. I'm not sure what you meant by "AC (auto-canceled?) fairs. I know the term, but I'm not sure how to do it.
Wait a sec...you DO want to bait Marth into punishable approaches. Yes, AC does indeed mean Auto-Cancelled. Basically, you try to time the aerial so that Ωyou land during the very end of the move's attacking animation. Aerials can also be auto-cancelled if they're grounded right before the attack's hitbox comes out, but that doesn't really help you much, does it? In particular, Sheik's AC fair has very low lag, so it can usually be covered afterwards with a quick jab or grab. You can even move out of there if you so desire.

Top Bottom