• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367

PAC-MANIA - VIDEO LIBRARY & CRITIQUES
Welcome! Please read the Thread Guidelines before posting!
Thank you!

Videos posted here are subject to community critique.
All library videos will be organized into the following categories:
  • Multiplayer
    • 1v1
    • 2v2
    • Fights with custom movesets
When posting a video link please write down the player names, the characters, the date that it was recorded, and any other important notes about the video (such as the name of a Tournament, Format, Series, or Tutorial).
Example: Ale (Pac-Man) vs Rain (Rosalina & Luma) - 9/23/14 - UMEBURA 8 (event)
So, without further delay...

VS.
216 videos (total)
SEPTEMBER - 12 video said:
AUGUST - 23 videos said:
JULY - 23 videos said:
JUNE - 10 videos said:
:4ganondorf:
Tornado vs Vex - 6/3/15 - Friendlies

:4rob:
Maziyah vs Alphonse - 6/7/15 - Smash Attack #8

:rosalina:
BSP vs Dabuz - 6/5/15 - Friendlies [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

:4sonic:
BSP vs Bman1K - 6/6/15 - Offline Friendlies [1] [2] [3] [4]
MAY - 16 videos said:
APRIL - 15 videos said:
MARCH - 10 videos said:
FEBRUARY - 32 videos said:
JANUARY - 34 videos said:
DECEMBER - 35 videos said:
:4dk:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 12/26/14 - For Glory [1]

:4diddy:
BSP vs V - 12/21/14 - SALT

:4duckhunt:
Abadango vs Brood - 12/28/14 - Umebura 11

:4fox:
Abadango vs Nietono - 12/24/14 - Umebura 11 [1]

:4greninja:
Goggalor vs Fede - 12/8/14 - For Glory

:4myfriends:
Goggalor vs ??? - 12/8/14 - For Glory [2]

:4jigglypuff:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 12/26/14 - For Glory [2]

:4dedede:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 12/26/14 - For Glory [4]

:4kirby:
BSP vs V - 12/21/14 - SALT [1] [2]

:4littlemac:
Pika Kong vs Diddle Dee - 12/14/14 - Local Tourney

:4luigi:
BSP vs Jonathan - 12/19/14 - The Cove 3.12 Smash 4 Singles
BSP vs MrConCon - 12/23/14 - Wi-Fi

:4mario:
BSP vs Byron - 12/19/14 - The Cove 3.12 Smash 4 Singles
Cars vs ??? - 12/24/14 - For Glory

:4metaknight:
AGES vs tmann - 12/27/14 - For Glory

:4gaw:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 12/26/14 - For Glory [3]

:4ness:
Conda vs Kodystri - 12/24/14 - r/smashbros Reddit Tournament [1] [2] [3]

:4palutena:
Po3T vs Zinth - 12/29/14 - The Salty Runback

:4olimar:
Abadango vs Nietono - 12/24/14 - Umebura 11 [2]

:4rob:
Goggalor vs Big - 12/15/14 - For Glory
Conda vs Miidas - 12/24/14 - r/smashbros Reddit Tournament [1] [2]

:4robinm:
Rich Brown vs Xzax - 12/8/14

:rosalina:
Goggalor vs ??? - 12/8/14 - For Glory [1]

:4wiifit:
Goggalor vs Nar - 12/15/14 - For Glory
BSP vs TKbreezy - 12/23/14 - Wi-Fi (starts @ 3:13:35)

:4zelda:
BSP vs V - 12/21/14 - SALT [1] [2]

:4zss:
Goggalor vs pakohareth - 12/8/14 - For Glory
Pika Kong vs ??? - 12/26/14 - For Glory [5]
ch vs D2 - 12/20/14 - Pre KVO

:substitute:
Cobi vs Misc. FG - 12/6/14 - For Glory
NOVEMBER - 6 videos said:
:4falco:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 11/24/14 - Friendlies [4]

:4mario:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 11/24/14 - Friendlies [3]

:4robinm:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 11/24/14 - Friendlies [1]

:4sheik:
Pika Kong vs ??? - 11/24/14 - Friendlies [2]

:4yoshi:
BSP vs Tyler - 11/23/14 - LSU Monthly 4 [1] [2]
85 videos (total)
NOVEMBER - 39 videos said:
OCTOBER - 32 videos said:
SEPTEMBER - 5 videos said:

&
VS.
&
27 videos (total)

Fights w/ Custom Movesets
21 videos (total)

11 videos (total)
MARCH - 8 videos said:
:4sonic:
BSP vs Bman1K - 3/13/15 - Friendlies [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]
NOVEMBER - 3 videos said:
:4jigglypuff:
Firedemon0 vs FLB | Gigan - 11/10/14 - Portable Platypus Sm4sh Tourney 2
:4sheik:
Firedemon0 vs OreoKirby - 11/10/14 - Portable Platypus Sm4sh Tourney 2 [1] [2]

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Non-Combat Videos and Additional Resources
Knowledge is power. Take a look around and enjoy the new powers.
Thank you!

Guides
Pac-Man Strategy Guide
An in-depth analysis of PAC-MAN'S moveset, techniques, custom moves & combos in SSB4!

Custom Moves
NinjaLink showcases Pac-Man's custom specials while discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Advanced Techniques
Advanced Pac-Man Moves Tutorial
Here are some things that I've discovered on my own while using pac-man that I think other people will find useful. I'm sure some (if not all), have been discovered by other people too, however I don't see too many pac-man players using these moves.

Barrage-Man
The concept here is to cover as much space as possible with the variety of attacks. It is not a single advanced technique or a combo, but it may help spark the creativity that Pac-Man demands in his match-ups.

Hydrant Dashing
Use the water pressure to move across the stage while powering up attacks or readying an attack.

Hydrant Edge Cancel
useful technique
たぶん使う機会あるネタ ~ Abadango

Hydrant + Trampoline Ledge Combo
Place a hydrant near the ledge, then deal enough damage to it to launch it with the trampoline. This video demonstrates the setup in combat speed.

Key Recovery
Short-hop off the ledge, throw the key and then catch it. Now you have your key in-hand.

Side-B Edge Cancel
damn technique
くそネタ ~ Abadango
Glitches
Frozen Villager + Captain Falcon Stage Spike
When Villager takes your trampoline, simply make another one right away. This is freeze village indefinitely. The stage spike simply requires Captain Falcon to DI toward the center of the stage during a throw off stage. Check it out. They are both pretty funny to see.

Hydrant through platform
When you issue a fire hydrant in the sky after the small jump and through the floor, it does not succeed and get the fastest. ~ RED

Power Pellet travelling
Even though the chain is as short as possible, Pac-man travels nearly the entire width of FD.

Power Pellet and Gravitational Pull
It's good to know that you can heal yourself off of Rosalina's Gravitational Pull.
Combo videos
A Pac-Man Short Combo Video
Hopefully this inspires a few people to try out teh PAC POWAH!!!

Bonus Fruit Combos/Setups
Published on Nov 8, 2014
Note: -None of the combos can be air-dodged or tech'd out of.

Galaxian Combo Vines [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]
Here are several videos showing some interesting combos with the Galaxian.

I Eat Dots and Fruits!
This is a Pacman combo/setup video showcasing some of his near limitless trap potential, as well as a section at the end showing how it can all go wrong.

Melon Ricochet
Seems simple enough. Throw melon at hydrant, throw opponent at melon. The melon simply bounces off the hydrant and the opponent bounces off the melon.

Melon Trap + Galaga Trap
Toss the fruit up or down and then place a trampoline on the ground to cover roll options and pummel the opponent. Very strong combo with minimal setup required.
Informative videos
Powerful Pac jump custom
A video showcasing how powerful the power pac jump is

Safe Recovery
Extremely safe Pac-Man recover on stages with walled sides. No more risky side b's over the edge. It gives more vertical distance than a two bounce trampoline plus it's safe with that crazy side b ground priority.

SH Fair Analysis
This is a quickie video I made to discuss Pacman's footsie options against tall characters. This video revolves around SH Fair, or Short-hop Forward Air.
Misc. Videos
Pac-Man Fair Combo Video
Don't touch the orange. Pac-Man will kick the fool who tries to grab it.

Pac-Ladder
Pac-Man1 uses tramp. Pac-Man2 jumps up and uses tramp for Pac-Man1 to land on. Pac-Man1 creates a new tramp for Pac-Man2. Rinse and repeat FOREVER!

Pacman KOs
Short video highlighting some of my favorite KOs from the past month or so. I didn't get to do the bell into footstool combos but one day I'll get it in a match..
PEPESPAIN Smashlab
Additional Resources

Last edited:

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Played a few matches tonight with some decent players, will try to get them uploaded tomorrow but my nets been screwing up so lets see

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
This is a great thread.
Thank you. I've been doing some lurking in other character forums (in other games and other characters) to find some good ideas for new features, and also for things that I don't like. I just can't wait to see some more videos. Pac-Man is probably my favorite character to play and watch right now, but Link is the easiest for me to play so he's still my main.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Thank you. I've been doing some lurking in other character forums (in other games and other characters) to find some good ideas for new features, and also for things that I don't like. I just can't wait to see some more videos. Pac-Man is probably my favorite character to play and watch right now, but Link is the easiest for me to play so he's still my main.
That is good. I'm planning on visiting this thread fairly frequently.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
1:48 in this first video was so cool. Good show! I'll add these videos once I finish watching them and eat lunch. :)

I wish we had more of your videos. Good effort in that tournament. I feel like you were focusing too much on trying to kick the fire hydrant and not the opponent at times though. Maybe use the pellet chain (or whatever it's called) or a strong fruit (Melon, Key, and possibly Galaxian) to hit the hydrant for you?

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
  • I never knew that Pac-Man could bounce off the ground if he aims the power pellet in that direction. Interesting.
  • I don't know why you use the power pellet randomly in the second video at 0:44. You also did something similar in your match against Pikachu
  • I feel you were relying on grabs too much in the second video, which I don't agree with considering how slow it is

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
@ EarthBoundRules EarthBoundRules - Just wanted to let you know that you put the second video twice, but I went ahead and found the fifth match on your youtube channel and added it to the library.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
  • I don't know why you use the power pellet randomly in the second video at 0:44. You also did something similar in your match against Pikachu
Slip of the fingers; I was trying to charge up my fruit instead. I was pretty nervous during the matches.

• I feel you were relying on grabs too much in the second video, which I don't agree with considering how slow it is
Fair point. This is the first Smash game I've tried to play past a party-casual level and I'm improving every day!

Also, I found a combo of sorts... :p

Last edited:

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
So heres my pacman video from a tournament. www youtube com/watch?v=eLmGh59T6iw&feature=youtu.be :4tlink:

Be gentle, I tried to do all the pacman tricks I know.

Also this place won't let me post links till I make 10 posts....Heres to my first post! :4pacman:

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Also this place won't let me post links till I make 10 posts....Heres to my first post! :4pacman:
Despite the "years" that I've been on this forum, I too am relatively new. But together, we can represent "Dustloop" on these PacMan forums. :-)

Welcome to Smash.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Despite the "years" that I've been on this forum, I too am relatively new. But together, we can represent "Dustloop" on these PacMan forums. :-)

Welcome to Smash.
Ah, thanks man, hopefully this pacman video can get some interesting review O:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
So heres my pacman video from a tournament. www youtube com/watch?v=eLmGh59T6iw&feature=youtu.be :4tlink:

Honestly, I really liked that you mixed up your attacks throughout. The TL never really had a chance to adapt to your attacks because they were constantly fresh and active. I'll look it over a little more and see what specifically I think you might want to focus on, but good first video. That TL was pretty bad looking too, but I don't think it takes too much away from the things you did RIGHT. Keep it up.

One quick question though... can you give me the name of this tournament you attended so that I can put it in the Library? If not, I may have to leave that part blank since there's no sign of tournament play aside from you saying it is, you know what I mean?

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
It is this tournament. smashboards (period here) com/rankings/sm4sh-weekly (period here) 2540/event

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
IMO, you used Hydrant too much. Every approach back down, you used Hydrant high in the sky. Toon Link began to charge in and react to your Hydrant for a tilt / running attack.

You aren't chasing off-stage enough. Pac-man has an absolutely amazing off-stage game. The best example is at 0:41, if you fair-fair comboed after Toon Link's 2nd jump, you could have easily gimped Toon Link. (Fair-fair double-jump footstool.... or Fair-fair double-jump nair).

You charged up to Orange, that was fine. Throw the orange to eat up Toon-Link's air-dodge and follow up with an off-stage gimp. Take advantage of Pac-man's insane recovery and fight off-stage as much as humanly possible.

It may sound harsh, but your first two KO's are mistakes on Toon-Link's part as opposed to outplaying on your behalf. An aggressive Toon Link should be using Down-A on your side-B "up the wall" recoveries, or at least throwing bombs down the abyss very safely. Its pointless to try and gimp Pacman in the manner he attempted. Then he fell off the stage as soon as he got back.

Don't be afraid to use the higher-end fruits. Melon and Galaxian are great approach options. Bell is a solid killing-attack (if you're quick enough to "hitconfirm" into an up-smash). Key is a solid killing attack. Good job at using a variety of lower-end fruit... but push up to the later fruit to confuse your opponent even more.

I'm seeing a very large lack of "f-air". Its a great attack to use when your opponent is in the air. Similarly, you aren't taking advantage of fast-falls at all. Make your movement far more erratic and unpredictable, do short-hop fair -> fast fall -> dashins. The short-hop fair is to make your opponent afraid of jumping, the fast-fall -> dash in can capitalize on it when your opponent begins to stand still.

The point of "f-air" is to combo the opponent into a harsh situation. Off-stage, you use fair-fair very similar to Jigglypuff's "wall of death". On-stage, you can on occasion combo "shorthop fair-fair -> up-smash" (very dependent on %)

Last edited:

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks

Adding on to what dragontamer said try breaking the habit of excessively using smash attacks, especially at lower percents as Pac's smashes in general are not very safe and you mostly want to use them as a read or punish for your opponents mistakes. Sitting there charging a smash isn't a very good idea either, you are more than likely going to get punished hard for it and would rather use that time for charging fruit or setting up a hydrant/trampoline. Welcome to smashboards, I hope you find a lot of success here and have a good time.

Anyway new videos, all still for glory

:4duckhunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuKcYprhGoM -- Went into sudden death lol, but overall I think it does a decent job showing the dog v pac matchup.

:4greninja: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1k6INYdVaI -- Ran into a decent Japanese player. He made a few mistakes in this match but I still thought it was overall good enough to have on this thread, at least for the time being.

:4sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ2xL39JDGk -- Same guy switched to sheik after a few frog matches, and played a loooooot vs this sheik as I practically never get any MU experience with this character(the one guy I know who mains sheik isn't often able to play on the same schedule as me). That being said this match I think was a highlight out of the bunch, showed a lot of what both characters can do in the MU and also got a sick utilt hydrant launch

:4sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfKD6nWc24 -- Another solid match vs his Sheik with some lame 3DS quality recording. Also Chrono Trigger remix in the background thats hype

I cant wait for the wii u version to be out so I dont have to deal with this annoying 3DS recording/editing stuff :colorful:

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Whoa lots of from everyone. Thanks for the input ! I have more matches that I will be uploading that I feel are really good. I fought a crazy secede that I couldn't kill. And what not. But anyways I love all fruits I just at the time the ones I used were justified. And some of smashes that come out might of been accidents :x but I will that these inputs in my mind. ALSO, there's a video tthat recently came out about canceling your landing lag into shield. And the way it's done is by doing an attack before you land and then shielding. So essentially you can dodge in the air and then go straight into shield or roll. There's a 4 frame window of doing this as well. Now my question. I'm only capable of doing this with pacmans back a air. His Nair or fair just never came out or I never got the timing. Anyone else seen this btw?

Edit: one more thing to add btw. I hydrant a lot on approaching opponents because if they go for a grab , hydrant beats it. Even if it isn't a grab, it's been beating every ground approachoed attack that I noticed. Now I know not to throw it out all day but against toonnlink I know he's not strong enough to beat hydrant outside of a held smash or chain grapple. Plus it elevates Pac man so being at a different height he can fsmash some opponents tall enough trying to grab him(Granted if the hydrant did hit them already and you jump off and go for a bair) So his options were limit. So i figure it was a nice response. Hope that train of thought is something to think about in pacmans life.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Oh I'm talking about your on-stage recovery when you're knocked up high and attempting to land.

I'm pretty sure within that video, you fell down 100% with hydrant high in the sky. I think its okay vs Toon Link, but some matchups (Rob and Dedede) have such ridiculously good Up-Airs that they can punish you. So you need to be sure to NOT make the habit of always falling down with they Hydrant.

I need to work on it myself, so I'm sorta "teaching you to teach myself" on this issue. But fast-fall nair is actually a decent "falling" option. You don't have to always protect yourself with the hydrant on the way down.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Oh I'm talking about your on-stage recovery when you're knocked up high and attempting to land.

I'm pretty sure within that video, you fell down 100% with hydrant high in the sky. I think its okay vs Toon Link, but some matchups (Rob and Dedede) have such ridiculously good Up-Airs that they can punish you. So you need to be sure to NOT make the habit of always falling down with they Hydrant.

I need to work on it myself, so I'm sorta "teaching you to teach myself" on this issue. But fast-fall nair is actually a decent "falling" option. You don't have to always protect yourself with the hydrant on the way down.
Hmm then you're correct. I just saw that now. I been doing some thing new now to prepare for my falling from the sky....I'll see if I can get it in video.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I know it's not much, but here's one of the few matches I've been able to complete online. There was a good bit of lag in real-time so that why you see me down-b on top of the already planted hydrant and stuff of that kind of dumbness, but don't let that keep you from telling how to better my game. I'll gladly take any criticizing to help make me better. :)

CostLow (Pac-Man) vs Franck (Lucina) - 10/23/14 - For Glory

Edit: Just so you guys know. The game hasn't even been available worldwide for a month yet and we have 28 videos up as of this post. Just imagine how things will go once the Wii U version comes out. lol

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I know it's not much, but here's one of the few matches I've been able to complete online. There was a good bit of lag in real-time so that why you see me down-b on top of the already planted hydrant and stuff of that kind of dumbness, but don't let that keep you from telling how to better my game. I'll gladly take any criticizing to help make me better. :)

CostLow (Pac-Man) vs Franck (Lucina) - 10/23/14 - For Glory
Your opening attack was a down-smash. Don't do that. Down-smash is hugely punishable. If you're gonna throw smash-attacks out, do up-smash because its recovery is decent... but don't get in the habit of using down-smash willy-nilly... before you know how the opponent works. Early in matches, stick with safe approach options and pokes as you try and figure out their strategy.

At 17-seconds, your Hydrant on the ground is poorly done. Lucina's positioning is far too close, even if you bair'd the Hydrant perfectly, Lucina would have ducked-under the hydrant and then punished you. For these sorts of dash-ins, it is safer to use a quick fruit (cherry, strawberry, orange) to zone out your opponent than Hydrant.

At 22 seconds, you land a successful dash attack. Follow it up with a up-air or fair for a little extra damage. Around this percentage, be careful of Lucina using counter... but for the most part, moving for the follow-up is a good strategy to keep the aggression on Pac-Man's side.

At 35 seconds, you were getting up off the ledge when the opponent started an up-smash attack charge. Lucina was out of position, you could have used the "A-attack" get up to attack her with invincibility frames.

At 38 seconds, you missed the first jab. Learn to hit-confirm your jab jabs, because the 3rd jab is very punishable. Never use the 3rd jab unless you're sure one of the first two jabs have hit. Lucina could have used more than just a grab to punish you there.

At 41 seconds, you use a bair while your opponent was charging up a fsmash. This was too dangerous, you should have quick-fallen and then recovered with side-b or up-b. An opponent with better timing could have KOed you.

At 43 seconds, you use a random side-b. Don't do that. Side-B is predictable and punishable. Use it to checkmate landing opponents (When opponents are so low that they cannot air dodge, and position yourself so that you have super-armor frames so they can't hit you out of it), or in aerial combat where it is safer... but on the ground you're lucky that Lucina only managed a neutral B to punish you.

At 1:30, you attempted a Hydrant -> sideB hydrant launch against lucina. You were out of position, too close to the edge. If Lucina didn't hit you out of it, you would have fallen to your death. You're very lucky the opponent hit you.

At 1:35, you use Up-B to recover very high. IMO, this was a mistake, as side-b would have been a fine option. Nonetheless, it was an additional mistake to not take advantage of your opponent's missed attack. You should have fast-fallen as soon as you recognized the opponent's whiff. A fast-fall landing would have given you the time needed to dodge Lucina's running attack after your landing.

You use a lot of dash-attacks. This is punishable by a better player, so you cannot always approach the same way (In particular, they can shield the first hit, and grab you before the 2nd hit). Learn other approaches, such as short-hop fair, or short-hop dair, or melon-based approaches to mix things up a bit. You can't always use the same dash-attack run in, you need to learn to use other approaches.

You're missing a lot of Hydrant -> Bair setups. Here's a hint: go into training mode, and dash off of the Hydrant. Smack that control stick to the side, and immediately smack it back for the Bair. As long as you dash off the hydrant, the timing for the "click-click" is consistent, and you'll learn to pull off the Hydrant -> Bair launch even in the worst of lag.

At 1:58, you should have used orange instead of strawberry. When opponents are off-stage, orange is a superior fruit due to the very "low" knockback angle. You might have been able to gimp Lucina if you used an orange here. Actually, against Lucina, orange is one of the best fruit you can throw at her. Its very difficult for Lucina to deal with.

Edit: Just so you guys know. The game hasn't even been available worldwide for a month yet and we have 28 videos up as of this post. Just imagine how things will go once the Wii U version comes out. lol
We need to be ready to teach the newbies when they come in. Now's the time for us to train up, analyze each other, and improve ourselves.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Your opening attack was a down-smash. Don't do that. Down-smash is hugely punishable. If you're gonna throw smash-attacks out, do up-smash because its recovery is decent... but don't get in the habit of using down-smash willy-nilly... before you know how the opponent works. Early in matches, stick with safe approach options and pokes as you try and figure out their strategy.

At 17-seconds, your Hydrant on the ground is poorly done. Lucina's positioning is far too close, even if you bair'd the Hydrant perfectly, Lucina would have ducked-under the hydrant and then punished you. For these sorts of dash-ins, it is safer to use a quick fruit (cherry, strawberry, orange) to zone out your opponent than Hydrant.

At 22 seconds, you land a successful dash attack. Follow it up with a up-air or fair for a little extra damage. Around this percentage, be careful of Lucina using counter... but for the most part, moving for the follow-up is a good strategy to keep the aggression on Pac-Man's side.

At 35 seconds, you were getting up off the ledge when the opponent started an up-smash attack charge. Lucina was out of position, you could have used the "A-attack" get up to attack her with invincibility frames.

At 38 seconds, you missed the first jab. Learn to hit-confirm your jab jabs, because the 3rd jab is very punishable. Never use the 3rd jab unless you're sure one of the first two jabs have hit. Lucina could have used more than just a grab to punish you there.

At 41 seconds, you use a bair while your opponent was charging up a fsmash. This was too dangerous, you should have quick-fallen and then recovered with side-b or up-b. An opponent with better timing could have KOed you.

At 43 seconds, you use a random side-b. Don't do that. Side-B is predictable and punishable. Use it to checkmate landing opponents (When opponents are so low that they cannot air dodge, and position yourself so that you have super-armor frames so they can't hit you out of it), or in aerial combat where it is safer... but on the ground you're lucky that Lucina only managed a neutral B to punish you.

At 1:30, you attempted a Hydrant -> sideB hydrant launch against lucina. You were out of position, too close to the edge. If Lucina didn't hit you out of it, you would have fallen to your death. You're very lucky the opponent hit you.

At 1:35, you use Up-B to recover very high. IMO, this was a mistake, as side-b would have been a fine option. Nonetheless, it was an additional mistake to not take advantage of your opponent's missed attack. You should have fast-fallen as soon as you recognized the opponent's whiff. A fast-fall landing would have given you the time needed to dodge Lucina's running attack after your landing.

You use a lot of dash-attacks. This is punishable by a better player, so you cannot always approach the same way (In particular, they can shield the first hit, and grab you before the 2nd hit). Learn other approaches, such as short-hop fair, or short-hop dair, or melon-based approaches to mix things up a bit. You can't always use the same dash-attack run in, you need to learn to use other approaches.

You're missing a lot of Hydrant -> Bair setups. Here's a hint: go into training mode, and dash off of the Hydrant. Smack that control stick to the side, and immediately smack it back for the Bair. As long as you dash off the hydrant, the timing for the "click-click" is consistent, and you'll learn to pull off the Hydrant -> Bair launch even in the worst of lag.

At 1:58, you should have used orange instead of strawberry. When opponents are off-stage, orange is a superior fruit due to the very "low" knockback angle. You might have been able to gimp Lucina if you used an orange here. Actually, against Lucina, orange is one of the best fruit you can throw at her. Its very difficult for Lucina to deal with.

We need to be ready to teach the newbies when they come in. Now's the time for us to train up, analyze each other, and improve ourselves.
Ok. Now it's time for me to watch the video over again with your critique in mind. Pac-Man isn't my main for a reason, but I think he'll be a great secondary for me once I get the hang of him. Thanks for the advice. I've noticed that I tend to just launch the hydrant randomly, or just toss whichever fruit I happen to land on when I hit A. I definitely need to learn to tactically use those projectiles more. Clearly, my opponent helped me out a lot by not being that great either.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I know I said it would be soon, but whoops!

:4pacman:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSL3bxJPsew Me and this guy took a few rounds back and forth, this is one of the better sets.

:4gaw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcY92HSURNE This one showed how well Side B can catch people off guard recovering high

:4yoshi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv8EX8M97As I found that N-air works best against Yoshi's attacks it seems.

:4littlemac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxIiflat7Y Just a Little mac fight, nothing really to note.
I'll go ahead and add these now and then watch them later.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I'm no Pac-expert, but I've been playing the character quite often (I main him now) and a tactic that I use that I dont see a lot of Pac players taking advantage of is trampoline onstage. It makes the opponent switch up their game on the spot and that's your cue to harass them with fruits and the occasional hydrant. The move is near useless against air specialists such as Jiggly and MK, but it's still solid for stage control regardless.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I'm no Pac-expert, but I've been playing the character quite often (I main him now) and a tactic that I use that I dont see a lot of Pac players taking advantage of is trampoline onstage. It makes the opponent switch up their game on the spot and that's your cue to harass them with fruits and the occasional hydrant. The move is near useless against air specialists such as Jiggly and MK, but it's still solid for stage control regardless.
Can you provide videos of yourself or someone else using this effectively? I've seen people talk about it, but I haven't seen it done, you know?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I've found recently that you can immediately use your upb out of dash, forcing your opponent to launch up in the air with you. I think this might be good with the proper fruit preloaded.

Also stage trampoline is awesome against Lil Mac. Expect shorthops.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Here are some videos of my older gameplay. Sorry for the poor quality guys, my toaster was broken so I had to use my potato. :troll:

Jokes aside:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SgnrdATaAEk :4pacman:vs:4larry:

Soo many misclicks lol. Found out that our projectiles annihilate his.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jPLVQ9bhuME :4pacman:vs:4robinm:
Very fun match. Got creative with the fruit, but I may have played a little too dangerously at times lol.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHDdmleZs0 :4pacman:vs:4falcon:
Beautiful comeback. Our wall of pain is incredibly frightening lol

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WnNtm7hTJsw :4pacman:vs:4falcon:
Excellent match, awesome bair gimp

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNRfZz3xRg
:4pacman:Vs:4jigglypuff:
Our range is too good

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I just fought Izaw online...and won!
After that he wrecked me about 4 times as sheik XD. But when he finally brought out his link, I had to leave in the middle of the match :(

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbumd6ItJfw :4pacman:vs:4sheik:

Me defeating Izaw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlUjU9eT2AI :4pacman:vs:4sheik:

Izaw defeating me

I believe the key to defeating sheik is to overwhelm her with out fruit and hydrant. Our fair into nair combo also works really well, and our nair breaks us out of her combos about 80% of the time. We just need to keep the pressure on, while not getting too close.
Anybody want to critique? No johns, but I kinda got nervous in both matches because I was so shocked that I ran into Izaw lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom