• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video at local tourney/Questions on Stages

GowerewoG

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kielbasalikeabas
Hello!

I'm making this thread because I'm lazy. I tried finding answers on which stages are good for Falcon players, and how to correctly ban stages but I'm not turning up much info. Also, I have some links to a tourney I went to recently and had a few good games. Decent meteor smashes (commentators don't know much about smash though LOL)

I came in 3rd out of 35 people :\

49:36 and 1:51:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2eURREZq0&list=PLk8k4HayvtmpN2mwG0qfe8QV4PG2lv2Bi

Then again here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY97ULql8CI&list=PLk8k4HayvtmpN2mwG0qfe8QV4PG2lv2Bi&index=2

And sadly, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejsRPEZ0TVc&list=PLk8k4HayvtmpN2mwG0qfe8QV4PG2lv2Bi&index=3

I haven't posted in these forums since 2010 so don't complain too hard if I'm breaking any rules on posting a thread :)

Just want some criticism to take my game to the next level..! I know I need to stop falcon kicking.

THANKS! What stages do I ban/choose?!

Aidalator64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidalator64
Stages to Pick: Usually battlefield/miiverse/dreamland are the best stages against most characters as platforms benefit Falcon's combo game. Against characters who abuse platforms or who have platforms more beneficial to their character than falcon's, Smashville and FD become good options too.
Stages to Ban: Ban large stages against campy or walling characters (sonic, villager, samus, links, marth, jigglypuff, olimar, rosalina, lil mac, ect.), ban small stages against in your face characters (shiek, yoshi ect.)
Didn't watch the vids so I can't give any tips, there is also a character matchup thread stickied on the cpt. falcon boards which includes stage picks and bans for certain character matchups
http://smashboards.com/threads/come...-thread-lap-8-zss.399692/page-5#post-19824560

Aidalator64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidalator64
I watched a bit of the vids, learn your u-air to knee percentages and spacing: it is a deadly combo killing between 40%-100% on the whole cast, a well spaced up air can't be punished on shield. I also noticed you never go for dthrow combos o_O, dthrow is cpt falcons best combo starter tool, and instead you went for fthrow tech chases.
Also remember to tech :p

Last edited:

GowerewoG

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kielbasalikeabas
Thanks for the feedback! Been practicing D-Throw to Knee of Justice and finding it's a little unreliable. But when that **** works it makes me feel like a new man.

CrypticStorm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cynicalyis
D-Throw to Knee is only guaranteed on certain characters at certain percents (keep in mind that you'll want a dashgrab to provide some extra momentum). It can work on more characters if they DI in/you read an air dodge from them, but generally U-Air to Knee is the better option as it works on most if not all of the cast (be sure to practice to learn the percentages needed, as well as proper spacing).

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Well you acknowledge your overuse of Falcon Kick which is the first step to fixing the problem. I would take the advice of the others and really utilize your grab and dash attack as string starters. D-throw to knee is never a guarantee, anyone who knows will DI away from you and leave you having to read an air dodge or not, at low percents (0-10) you can just f-throw into dash attack to start an u-air string. Work on your neutral game and extended fox-trot canceling to play footsies with your opponents so they throw something out and allow you to punish. I'll leave a good friendlies match of myself and the 10th PR player here in CT, one of the best ZSS in New England so you can get an idea of how you need to move quickly if you want to keep on top of people. Also work on your wall tech, you got spiked on stage way too many time at early percent.

Keep up on Falcon, we need more representation!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EchOD3GZag

For Stages your strong points will always be Smashville (unless you're against a Sheik/Pikachu), Battlefield, Duckhunt (Unless against Marth/Rosalina(This stage is still our best)). Just know your best stages and know what stages are best for your opponent, against a ROB or Luigi? Better strike Town and city the **** out. Against a Spamhappy Villager that camped the **** out of a 13 year old tournament player with no remorse? Ban the **** out of FD and Town and City! Keep the small stuff in mind and apply it to your game, if you need to research the blast zone data of all stages, understand what strong kill moves your opponents have and ban stages that have blast zones that cater to those specific moves and you'll play better knowing that that stupid Ding Dong combo or Rosalina jank up-air wont kill you at 30 percent off the top of the stage.

Good luck friend!

Last edited:
Top Bottom