• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Sure, documenting any Villager changes would be nice, I aint opposed to that, where else would it be stored? It's history that must be secured or something!
But speaking of the Villager stare though... I just don't get how the majority doesn't like red default Villager, like... he's the best!
View attachment 47940
But, but... female pink! <3

Sonsa

Smash Champion
The other alts are great too! Just confused on the red hate. Sure he's a meme or whatever, but the meme as I understand it is that he looks murderous and creepy. But that's true haha I love it!

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
The other alts are great too! Just confused on the red hate. Sure he's a meme or whatever, but the meme as I understand it is that he looks murderous and creepy. But that's true haha I love it!
I do switch between them!

I've been thinking of restarting New Leaf again, but I might go for the Pink Girl... any name suggestions? Pls? :3

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Default has been growing on me lately now that the meme isn't as popular. I like to swap between turnip top, purple shirt, and default. Mainly purple shirt tho.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ya know what's weird, I think purple is the most..."normal" looking, like the one least plotting murder, just a chill dude, and he's super stylish and nice and all...but I don't think I've ever used him! Probably because I want Villager to look intimidating, psychotic, and cute. Eh, maybe that's not that weird. He does still look off with no eyebrows though. But he does kinda lose cuteness as he looks... older? Like my age or something? Looks like he has a vine, I dunno, y'all probably know the vibe I'm getting.

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
What feel do the other villagers get from chillager. It's the only alt I play and I'm kinda wondering how people perceive him.

Savy

Smash Rookie
Why does everyone deny Villager got changed? Fast falling F-air or B-air, or even touching the ground before the animation is over makes A TON of landing lag..Like..Megaman U-tilt amounts...

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Why does everyone deny Villager got changed? Fast falling F-air or B-air, or even touching the ground before the animation is over makes A TON of landing lag..Like..Megaman U-tilt amounts...
...? Not really...? I've got updated Wii U and outdated 3DS version and seems the same to me...

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
What feel do the other villagers get from chillager. It's the only alt I play and I'm kinda wondering how people perceive him.
I assume by chillager you mean the one with the light blue shirt, in which case I just think he looks...off. Idk kinda like he's too tired to be fighting, or maybe the shirt color turns me off. It's definitely my least preferred male villager.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Light blue Villager? Seems chill to me haha, everytime I see him I'm like "Heyyy, this guy!" He looks...some people say high, I dunno sure, he just looks like he's going with the flow. Like, plantin a tree, chill, oops, got hit with a Falcon Punch, eh whatever it happens, yknow? Really calm dude. I like him, but rarely use him. He's my 2nd preferred male Villager after default though. Yellow Villager is my least preferred personally.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Light blue Villager? Seems chill to me haha, everytime I see him I'm like "Heyyy, this guy!" He looks...some people say high, I dunno sure, he just looks like he's going with the flow. Like, plantin a tree, chill, oops, got hit with a Falcon Punch, eh whatever it happens, yknow? Really calm dude. I like him, but rarely use him. He's my 2nd preferred male Villager after default though. Yellow Villager is my least preferred personally.
don't let @ AnchorTea AnchorTea catch wind of this

Linkdude74

Smash Cadet
I'm a red shirt, or light blue guy myself.
Edit: wow there really aren't a lot of us villager mains on here. the Zelda social thread has over 1000 pages.... We have 19

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
oie_u2SeMpGcna9l.jpg

oie_33gLaGc0KSwH.jpg

oie_M16KvdbPyOMC.jpg

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Thought I'd introduce myself here, being a Villager main! How's everyone doing? General thoughts on Mewtwo / Patch? Love to hear them! :3
Hey welcome!

Feel free to hang around here...It's warm.

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Hey welcome!

Feel free to hang around here...It's warm.
Shall do, I'm enjoying it... I've always wanted to find a wee community of folk to hang out with, and I stumble among a lot of threads but then I stop getting notifications, as I'm not on a lot! I have so much other stuff going on and it's hard to settle down on SB... I'll be sure to keep checking back here!

You mean the male? Nope.

Also Slingshot and Lloid have never been changed to my knowledge... I do remeber that in patch v1.0.3 or v1.0.4 there was some confusion about FAir's latest hit, but its always been 2.5%. It was an issue of someone testing it in a mode that rounded it down and someone else testing it in a mode that rounded it up

Idk about Lloid though, never heard of that.

Also also we do have a thread for documenting changes, its in the stickies... Also also also Ive been testing pocketable stuff and nothing seems to have changed aside from trampoline and spring jump, Ill go check out items, smash run, and master hand stuff next

Also also also also wow I have catching up to do

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
realizes @zeezee has a stream now and his first opponent is @ AnchorTea AnchorTea is his first opponent and I'm all like

Seriously though Anchor tea great stuff out there

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh wow, didn't know that! I'd love to see yall play and get in on the action!

Linkdude74

Smash Cadet
@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans , Why do people have to try and ban everything that is "OP"? I really hope the recent pikachu infinite doesn't make people reconsider customs. I was turned off by customs at first as well, but after I played with the villager 1322 set I saw a world of opportunity with them myself. We might even find infinites with everyone if we try hard enough. It would feel like Smash 64 at that point, where everyone has a 0-death on every other member of the roster so everyone is broken, but because everyone can do that it is true balance. what's seriously so bad about Timber counter anyway? Like, can people explain the arguments against it? I see nothing wrong with it. Should we ban Diddy banana too if Timber counter is banned? I just don't the hate on customs anymore

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
@zeezee , @ Player-1 Player-1

I was wondering how I can improve certain aspects of my play:

1) Ledge trumping - I seem to constantly forget to ledge trump and can't do it quickly enough or follow with a bair, how are you so good at it.

2) Spotdodging - I have a bad habit of never spotdodging.

Also, I'm starting to use the c-stick for my fairs and bairs but I can't do them as quick as you guys do, any way to improve that? (Yes, I have learned autocanceled aerials, I can do them quickly with the standard A+direction but not the c-stick.)

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Man, people have weird controls for how they play. Mine is basically standard(GamePad) except I switched the back buttons with grab and shield.

Player-1

Smash Legend
@zeezee , @ Player-1 Player-1

I was wondering how can I improve certain aspects of my play:

1) Ledge trumping - I seem to constantly forget to ledge trump and can't do it quickly enough or follow with a bair, how are you so good at it.

2) Spotdodging - I have a bad habit of never spotdodging.

Also, I'm starting to use the c-stick for my fairs and bairs but I can't do them as quick as you guys do, any way to improve that? (Yes, I have learned autocanceled, I can do them quickly with the standard A+direction but not the c-stick.
I don't think Villager's options out of truming someone are that good. If you're trying to directly attack someone after a trump there's generally 2 ways that I know of going about it which are falling bair and rising bair. Falling bair seems like you have the better chance of hitting someone, but it's still not guaranteed and if you miss you dont have invincibility upon regrabbing the edge again so if the opponent goes over you then you can get punished hard. Rising bair doesn't seem like it works as often, but it's safer, but still not without risk. Attacks will straight up beat out pellet and I've been hit out of trying to rising bair after trumping someone because of it. So I thinik it depends on the character since every character has a different trump animation, but I think if you're going to trump someone you should trump them and then just get back on the stage and try to see what they do next and just base your next play off of that.

I don't know how to tell you to not spot dodge, you know you have the habit of it and I think that should be enough for you to work on just not doing it.

I'm not sure what you mean by slingshot for us being faster than for you, do you mean like the speed that your fingers from your jump button to the c stick? Generally if I'm doing a rising slingshot then I use the A button and if I'm doing a late slingshot then I use the c stick and so if it's late then you should have plenty of time to get your fingers from the jump button to the c stick

Figured I'd post here since the social's been seeing some good activity

My el gato hd60 came in today, so today's the day I post DIRTB stuff. I'm kind of rusty since I haven't practiced it in a while, but I can still do DIRTBUS semi reliably. It's DIRTB specials that will be demonstrated in slower speed. Idk if I want to make a whole video, I'll probably just make webms/gifs since that would be easier (I have absolutely zero experience in making videos)

also @ Linkdude74 Linkdude74 wanting to control something that is OP isn't wrong, banning is.

Well okay no, let me lay out my thoughts more clearly.

There is a distinct line between "OP" and "broken". "Broken" is when something literally can't be beat. Brawl MK's IDC is broken. Brawl MK's frame safe planking is broken. Wobbling is broken. Brawl's jab locks and chaingrabs that could be done back and forth across a stage ad nauseum are broken. Pikachu's infinite in Smash 4 with Meteor QA and TWave is broken. They can't be beat, nothing can be done about them, they remove all of the victim's options until the aggressor decides to finish. These are things that should be banned

Maybe Diddy is OP. Maybe Counter Timber + Extreme Balloons are OP. But they shouldn't be banned. They can be beaten. They restrict options, but they do not entirely remove options. DThrow > any aerial is pretty stronk, but it's not broken. Once Diddy nails the target with an aerial, they can do something about it. They get their options back. It can be beaten. CT + EBT restrict options for a limited amount of time within a limited amount of space. But the other player still has options available to them that allows them to beat the strategy. Tweek showed this against ADHD.

For the record, I do think something should be done about custom Villager planking, though that's mostly my prejudice from Brawl speaking. I don't, however, think that banning customs or banning custom combinations is the answer.

Also I forgot who mentioned it but you can still Pocket all colours of Pikmin, not just Purple.

Last edited:

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans , Why do people have to try and ban everything that is "OP"? I really hope the recent pikachu infinite doesn't make people reconsider customs. I was turned off by customs at first as well, but after I played with the villager 1322 set I saw a world of opportunity with them myself. We might even find infinites with everyone if we try hard enough. It would feel like Smash 64 at that point, where everyone has a 0-death on every other member of the roster so everyone is broken, but because everyone can do that it is true balance. what's seriously so bad about Timber counter anyway? Like, can people explain the arguments against it? I see nothing wrong with it. Should we ban Diddy banana too if Timber counter is banned? I just don't the hate on customs anymore
Idk about the pikachu infinite perhaps you are right and everyone can eventually get it.

But the timber counter in an infinite banana for 13 seconds.
It is not the same as a banana b/c it goes away after 2 hits (mb 1 air hit, but 2 trips on ground?), you can catch it in midair (you can even throw a fair at the same time as catching the banana), and the most important thing is that you can fall on it with z to pick it up without tripping. The point is that you can use the banana to your own advantage.
Tripping sappling is plainly an insane advantage for you, sure you can "just avoid it" but in so many situations it just limits your opponent's options hard.
Obviously Villager ain't #1 in tournaments. But it is still silly.
Insight on my perspective: I am the person who plays default Villager in a customs tournament b/c I just personally dislike em. Am I saying customs should be banned? Im neutral to it (neither would miss nor be glad).

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Disallowing extreme balloons and counter timber together in the same moveset would be one way to stop the planking. It would suck of it came down to that, but it would at least be better than banning counter timber altogether.

I think the best way to balance counter sappling is to reduce its timer by half every time someone trips over it. This would make it difficult for both players to know for sure when the sappling is going to die and help prevent cheesy stuff like villager just knocking/throwing the oponent away and planting another sapping immediately.

Anyway, It didn't seem like the dev team was too keen on making many changes at all in the last patch (other than Diddy Kong) and it's a bit early to say for sure but it looks like customs are completely untouched. I have my doubts that they will do anything about the op customs anytime soon.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Disallowing extreme balloons and counter timber together in the same moveset would be one way to stop the planking. It would suck of it came down to that, but it would at least be better than banning counter timber altogether.

I think the best way to balance counter sappling is to reduce its timer by half every time someone trips over it. This would make it difficult for both players to know for sure when the sappling is going to die and help prevent cheesy stuff like villager just knocking/throwing the oponent away and planting another sapping immediately.

Anyway, It didn't seem like the dev team was too keen on making many changes at all in the last patch (other than Diddy Kong) and it's a bit early to say for sure but it looks like customs are completely untouched. I have my doubts that they will do anything about the op customs anytime soon.
well aside from the gamebreaking stuff. cuz wasn't the olimar and fox glitch b/c of customs for olimar and customs for fox? well i thought that's what it was anyways, and that glitch was removed.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Hi guys!

Can anyone please critique my play if they have time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHMsf1S6EM

There are 4 matches.

Villager vs Shiek (in BF) 9:05 - 13:48
Villager vs Shiek (in Town and City) 4:35 - 8:48
Villager vs Diddy (Delfino) - 0:15 - 4:20
Villager vs Mario (BF) 14:47 - 16:23

There is random noise in a small part on the video, please ignore it or tone down the volume. Thanks and sorry about that.

I hope it's interesting to watch, I have a long way to go before I ''git gud''.

Thank you and have a great day.

Edit: Removed wrong video, now it's the correct one.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hi guys!

Can anyone please critique my play if they have time? (esp. @zeezee , @ Player-1 Player-1 , @ Antonykun Antonykun , @ AnchorTea AnchorTea , @Darklink401)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmf-TW5rWiY

There are 4 matches.

Villager vs Shiek (in BF) 9:05 - 13:48
Villager vs Shiek (in Town and City) 4:35 - 8:48
Villager vs Diddy (Delfino) - 0:15 - 4:20
Villager vs Mario (BF) 14:47 - 16:23

I hope it's interesting to watch, I have a long way to go before I ''git gud''.

Thank you and have a great day.
ehhhh wrong link
Unless... today is 420 day

Last edited:
Top Bottom