• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Villager is already perfectly balanced and they know it~!

Fights with Corrin sure are interesting! When I'm Corrin and see a Villager doing tree stuff I like for them to be in position to axe and then wham! Side-B stick em in place, get em away from there!

And pocketing that...strange water ball thing can lead to such awesome follow-ups with all that stun! I could grow a tree in that time! To use it when you already have a tree, then chop it twice to kill, I bet you'll have just enough time!

Bayonetta I don't have much experience with, how do you guys feel about Bayo vs Villager?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Bayo-Villager is such a strange matchup.
Both have the option of camp all day, Baw has chip damage and Villager their projectiles. Going in is also an option but both have tools they want to avoid (Bae's setups/counter, Villager's strong hits).
Then we have Villager's weight/gravity/fall interacting strangely with her combos, so they are not as reliable.
I think the best Villager has is to harass her offstage and aim to gimp Bae, but her recovery is so flexible that it can be difficult.
I'm not sure if Bullet Arts break Balloons.
:196:

diop

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I've been playing here and there since the game came out for 3DS but since November I've been kinda going to tournies and such to take it seriously and now I've really decided I think Villager is the character for me so I just recorded fifteen minutes of footage and was hoping maybe you guys could watch and tell me if there's anything I'm just plain doing wrong with the character? Moves I should be utilizing more and less, or whatever.

Any help'd be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYzowUO__Y4

Wonderf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wonderf
3DS FC
5172-2136-8763
Hey, so I've been playing here and there since the game came out for 3DS but since November I've been kinda going to tournies and such to take it seriously and now I've really decided I think Villager is the character for me so I just recorded fifteen minutes of footage and was hoping maybe you guys could watch and tell me if there's anything I'm just plain doing wrong with the character? Moves I should be utilizing more and less, or whatever.

Any help'd be appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYzowUO__Y4
So in my humble inexperience eyes, I don't see anything wrong with your Villager play, its pretty solid, I personally love your use of d-tilt in the first game against Little Mac. For next steps/ pointers, if you want to fthrow someone, I'd recommend to just dthrow fair instead. Try not to dash attack too much and if you want to dash attack, I would recommend to maybe short hop slingshot instead (if the character is not short) because of the lower ending lag and it has the sameish range as dash attack. Your Villager play is solid. Good luck!

diop

Smash Rookie
Yeah, if I ever F-throwed someone it was probably an accident. I try down throw in the dash upsmash at low percents if they're a fastfaller/big 'cuz I saw Ranai doing it to Zero's Sheik but I have absolutely no idea how it works because it only connects like 10% of the time and that's simply from the opponent doing nothing about it, otherwise I go nair for the guaranteed hit and either up-air or fair depending on the di at higher percents. I know I was really bad about dashing against Mewtwo, felt pretty dumb about my death to him but I just generally have no idea what to do against that character. Normally I do short hop d-air unless I feel confident that they're not gonna shield since I like the pot propping them up, and i was like this dude's just reflecting I'm gonna go dash in not thinking about how it's a projectile.

Thanks though, I wish i had a better way of practice though since I feel I don't have a lot of tricks with stages since I'm always just on Omega.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Hello Villager mains.

I've recently been dabbeling in playing the Villager and am finding it a quite enjoyable playstyle. I don't think she'll ever replace Dedede as my main ('sides, noone on the roster is that beautiful), but I could see her becoming a secondary.

A bit odd, since I've never touched an AC title in my life, but look at this cute face:

So, yeah. Hi.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Bayo-Villager is such a strange matchup.
Both have the option of camp all day, Baw has chip damage and Villager their projectiles. Going in is also an option but both have tools they want to avoid (Bae's setups/counter, Villager's strong hits).
Then we have Villager's weight/gravity/fall interacting strangely with her combos, so they are not as reliable.
I think the best Villager has is to harass her offstage and AIM TO GIM BAE, but her recovery is so flexible that it can be difficult.
I'm not sure if Bullet Arts break Balloons.
Wrys lol.png

girl gets both her up b and side b back when she gets hit. I have better chances of gimping ZSS than gimping Mayonetta

Hello Villager mains.

I've recently been dabbeling in playing the Villager and am finding it a quite enjoyable playstyle. I don't think she'll ever replace Dedede as my main ('sides, noone on the roster is that beautiful), but I could see her becoming a secondary.

A bit odd, since I've never touched an AC title in my life, but look at this cute face:

So, yeah. Hi.
+1 for best villager skin

Last edited:

diop

Smash Rookie
Do you guys use watering can for anything? I gimped a Dr. Mario with it but I feel like anyone with an average recovery still makes it back easy.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Do you guys use watering can for anything? I gimped a Dr. Mario with it but I feel like anyone with an average recovery still makes it back easy.
theres a world of fantasy where i can watering can cloud into oblivion

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It does block certain rather weak projectiles for what is worth.
It's also nice to use once in a blue moon to stuff approaches.

diop

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I was trying to practice the move on some guy who seemed kinda new in For Glory for a while and was like well it's a great out-of-shield option for disrespect. No punish, just piss on 'em and walk away.

De Wolfe

Smash Cadet
Theres no better feeling than pushing someone into a sprouting tree with the watering can and koing them from it. But in general the occasional watering can to push someone away can frustrate people sometimes because its kind of trolly.

diop

Smash Rookie
Word, I've actually never thought of strategizing that. I always like they do some laggy move and I water the tree and it pushes them away and I'm like you lucky son YOU LUCKY but I gotta be sure to trap them between the tree and me and just water early to knock them.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As a user who likes to try out customizations, there is a Villager customization that I did make, which can be a potential monster.

Yup, this custom gives Villager the Critical Hitter bonus effect, and while Pocket Plus does have a weaker damage multiplier than the default Pocket, the multiplier decrease is moot when you have a chance of dealing 3x your normal damage.

The -15 speed may make Villager slower, but his recovery is still good with Lloid Rocket and Balloon High Jump around.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I know next to nothing on equipment so i would just do max attack/max speed/hybrid

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know next to nothing on equipment so i would just do max attack/max speed/hybrid
What Critical Hitter does is that it gives your fighter's attacks a 20% chance of dealing 3x their normal damage. So if an attack normally deals 20% damage, it may have a chance of dealing 60% damage if the fighter is equipped with the Critical Hitter bonus effect.

Of course, a bonus effect that powerful has one heck of a penalty on the stat boost value, as the stat boost value can't go higher than +27 (+19 for the badges) with the Critical Hitter bonus effect. As a result, the stat drop value can be quite large, even with the lowest possible stat boost values.

diop

Smash Rookie
When you guys are flying off the edge and side-B'ing to cancel momentum do you face the lloid toward the blastzone or toward the stage? I do to the stage, but I feel to the blastzone is probably better since the animation puts you further away from the blastzone I'm just afraid of holding away and sailing my self to the blastzone and dying with bad DI and poor timing on the rocket.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
It's better to point the lloid towards the blast zone. During knock back, just hold back and mash special to buffer the lloid. As soon as the Lloyd spawns, start holding towards the stage. Don't be afraid about dying from holding back, you can't kill yourself this way even though it might seem like you could.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So this is me from bracket on Friday:
https://youtu.be/jp7pOrlQqzM?t=1m27s

I'm wondering what happened that made the hitlag SO long for Ryu, that I was able to chop it twice before he could do anything. Is this a common exploit that can be done?
You got pushed off the ledge, cancelling your first Axe Chop and allowing you to perform a second, aerial one.

diop

Smash Rookie
That auto-cancel axe chop is actually sick, been doing it to a couple people in For Glory.

BannaBake

Smash Rookie
Ike LOL. If you shield while he uses his up B and doesn't snap to ledge, it works almost every time. Marth works, and so do Falcon and Ganon, especially if they use Side B

EDIT: Someone said Cloud and that works WAYYYYY too much

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Highlights from patch 1.1.5 so far:

- Nerfs for Shiek!! Fair is nerfed, needles have a little less range and her kill setup from grab got reworked. Dthrow to uair is broken but fthrow to bouncing fish works at kill %.

- Zss got some nerfs too.

-Mewtwo got a weight and running speed increase. Has shieks run speed now!

- They gave Samus some hitboxes =D yaaaay.

- Buffs for zard, zelda, gannon, jiggs, greninja, DHD.

- Mks death combo got nerfed. I don't know if it still works at later %s?

- Final touch got nerfed. Doubles is saved!!!! Also Clouds uair got a minor nerf.

- Corrin got some big nerfs including counter.

- Villager *seems* unchanged so far.

Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-5-patch-notes.433162/

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Corrin was nerfed? Shoot.

And Mewtwo got a speed increase too?!?!?!

I've been busy so I didn't know there was a patch. :(

Pusha

Smash Rookie
Ike LOL. If you shield while he uses his up B and doesn't snap to ledge, it works almost every time. Marth works, and so do Falcon and Ganon, especially if they use Side B

EDIT: Someone said Cloud and that works WAYYYYY too much
Also works on luigi side b and up b if he doesn't snap, little mac (amazing against him), Shulk if he's not directly under the ledge.

There's probably more but for now thats all I know.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It dropped out nowhere last night.
I assumed so since my alerts count went through the roof when I got up this morning...

But still, nice to see they're still doing patches, even if there is no more DLC on the way.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey everyone, bit of a late notice but I'm hosting a tournament tomorrow from 2:00-3:30 pm EST time. I'll post the password around 30 minutes before it starts. Here's the info. and rules.

Tourney Name: RnW's Tourney #2
Up to 100 participants. So enter the password quickly!!!
The winner will be the participant with the most POINTS, not most wins.
Time limit per match: 10 minutes.
3 Stocks each match.
You get to select a preferred stage.
The Smash Ball is the only item on, and is on the "high" likelihood of appearing.
Mii Fighters are allowed.
Custom Fighters are NOT allowed.

Good luck to everyone!!!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry guys, slight time change! It will now be from 7:00-8:30pm EST time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So the tournament is up but won't start till 7. If you guys want in, the Tourney ID is 62277070272286. Password is Overdrive.

Top Bottom