• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vectorman's Roy! (Advice please!)

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
im dissapointed in all of you. where are the dair combos because im telling you it can combo in all direction not just down. and not only that but it goes like 360 around him not just like 180 like marth. roy is the best... im a bit rusty now but since winters coming i am going to show you guys my trick and how theyr used. i dont think u guys really see roy as wat he is. A totally different character than everyone else.
He's like a faster SHFFL'ing Marth with less attacks.

D-air combos into d-smash, and other aerials at higher percents.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Just on the subject of roy's approach. It's always safer just to stay at max range and poke. But for mix-up purposes, sometimes you may want to approach. In the area of shffling, roy has no absolute safe moves, but his nair and uair can made somewhat more safe by crossing your opponent up. In my opinion, nair is actually roy BEST air for a shielding opponent because of it's recovery. I'm not trying to argue with sethlon, because if you wiff you really will be in trouble.

Awstintacious

Smash Apprentice
How do I beat ROYS! ASFOTEIHFS. I played Marty, an older smash player in atlanta who apparently has quit the game for the most part, but he messed me up. I was trying to imitate his playstyle, but I don't see how some of his attacks linked.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
i usually wd bkwrds and fux pplz up all dayz lol jussayin
Well if you're WDing backwards, then you're not approaching. I was commenting on the subject of approaching. When you come forward with an aerial, one of five things can happen. From best case to worst case senerio...the opponent can get hit, two attacks can clash or trade, the opponent can shield the opponent can hit you out of your air, or the attack can wiff completely. Roy's approach can be very unsafe in general, but there's a lot of things you can do to add safety, like approaching at the weak point of the dash dance and waiting till the opponent is in a defensive state, ect. Attacking a shield directly doesn't mean it's an automatic shield grab for your opponent. If you hit with the first hit of nair on the way up from a short hop and hit with the second part on the way down, Roy can recover in enough time to .....insert whatever. And if you cross your opponent up, it takes away a lot of your opponents options. The problem is actually hitting your opponents shield instead of wiffing or getting hit out of your air. anyway, that's all i got for now.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Roy really doesn't have an approach at all -_-

None of his moves have enough hitstun or knockback to be safe

I just DD/WD until an opening or I'll try to side-B through moves before getting in there

My approach is usually max spaced SHFFL f-air to d-tilt to jab and then maybe a spaced side-B

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hey Roy boards, I'll most likely be livestreaming every other day of the week, i need to have my roy ready by apex, so any/all advice given would be loved...

not to mention i've dropped Yoshi, ........forever.... too many haters, and i'm just a bit fed up with everything... so now i'm a become a Roy player, hopefully you guys welcome me... sorry :(

"sigh"

thanks .. i'll do my best you guys

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Who was a hater on your Yoshi? it was mad pimp and all i ever saw was love for it. Besides u know what they say hater gonna hate. Anyway gl with your roy and i will be sure to check out some more vids when they come up.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Hey Roy boards, I'll most likely be livestreaming every other day of the week, i need to have my roy ready by apex, so any/all advice given would be loved...

not to mention i've dropped Yoshi, ........forever.... too many haters, and i'm just a bit fed up with everything... so now i'm a become a Roy player, hopefully you guys welcome me... sorry :(

"sigh"

We are so getting Roy dittos at apex. I'll stalk you uncontrollably, or something til you **** me in dittos.
but how are there yoshi haters?

camerino1

Smash Lord
That's awful, no one should do that, every character needs rep and you were the best Yoshi I've ever seen in your videos that I've watched. But, Roy needs rep too and I'm glad that a really good player like you picked him up, you'll do great with him. Be sure to kill some Fox's. :)

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace

"sigh"

Don't drop Yoshi, especially if it's your best tournament character -_-

At least don't completely stop playing him, like I did with Marth. Now my Marth is worse than my Roy.

Play G&W too, he's fun and edgeguards like a beast

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Vuduujin!!!!

Sick Weegee man!..

and yeah, i'm teaming with my best friend Axe actually.. :)

sorry if you wanted to team :(

side note:
Shoutouts to Sethlon, those of you who don't know he played in a tourney yesterday, and got past pools w/his roy, and repped him well.. he had a tough bracket, but he did well.. just makin sure he sees this

<3 sethlon

Top Bottom