• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Variable Mixes- Turning the Art of Smashing into a Musical Crescendo

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
So if a character is caught up in a combo or just continuously being hit, the music will add rolling trumpets to emphasise the action. Or when the match is in a 1v1 situation and both players are far from one another, the music calms down to a lulling drum roll as both characters stay safe/keep the match slow. When a player is at high percents, the music picks up into harsher chords, and when all the players are at high percents, the music becomes almost drowned in these tense chords looking for a win.

Nintendo is a HUGE fan of variable mixes and has been putting it in their games for at least as long as Mario 64 with the underwater theme and various super star remixes. This kind of subtle immersion can have a huge impact on how the game feels, even though the effect can be dismissed as having "no real impact," in spite of that being total bull****. Plenty of people just can't play to crap music and it's a real concern, so in the same line of thought, certain tracks having variations to fit the battle mood can have a big impact on how the game is played.

If it weren't for auditory cues, we would be at a huge disadvantage when reacting since our reaction is so reliant on discerning sounds when animations don't fully telegraph moves, and that's the same principle that applies to variable mixes. Auditory feedback is a great way to communicate between players in much the same way as a percent meter is. Do we NEED to see the enemy's percent, when we should be able to just know how close they are to death based on the previous attacks done to them? No, but it still helps convey the information easily to the player. There's nothing wrong with the game doing this in other ways, and mixed tracks are a fun venture for players on a less serious level as well, just by the immersion they provide.

So thoughts on including tracks with variable mixes into the game?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think this is pretty cool, but would you have to create original music for this so as to not tick off fans of the older music?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It would definatley be neat if they could find a way for it to work. I'm personally unsure that it could work in situations other than one-vs-one.

There is something similar to organic music in Brawl: the weather/music changes on Yoshi's Island. I could see more things like that being implemented. Or like the music changes in MK1/2 in Melee when time is about to run out.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I think this is pretty cool, but would you have to create original music for this so as to not tick off fans of the older music?
I think the best way would be to still have the My Music option, with the "main theme" of the stage being a variable mix of whatever song is chosen to represent it.

I just thought how cool it would be if the Mario stage main theme mixed the Overworld and Underground themes like Peach's Castle Melee does, except with VARIABLE MIX.

But yeah, there would still be normal tracks for the stage, and one or two or whatever big main themes using the variability.

Top Bottom