• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vanish Glide. (Read before flaming)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've been thinking...

Why is it that when you do a Vanish in the air, or sometimes off the ground, Sheik goes upwards and in the direction you're holding, but when you do a Vanish Glide, she moves perfectly horizontal?

I can't seem to figure it out. I mean, you're pressing Up+B when you're on the ground, so, theoretically she should just stop in place, like usual.

You'll notice that if you run and Vanish, she slides a little bit while remaining perfectly upright. So, I've tried manipulating "DACUS" to work with this, but nothing has really worked it.

(It just hit me that perhaps if you do a DACUS, well, DACUB in this case, right at the edge, she may fly farther. I can't test this out right now though, so I'll update this later if I find anything.)

Anyway, does anyone know exactly why it is that Sheik continues moving forward during a Vanish Glide? What new properties does she take on that would allow this. If we can figure it out, there might be a way to recreate the move without using an edge.

Any ideas?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik only jumps during the initial part of the aerial Vanish, and she gains ridiculous momentum during the rest of it. Since you're canceling the ground Vanish into an aerial one, you don't get the jump part and thus just keep flying forward.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
So then, shouldn't there be a point in the move where you can jump and do the same thing, without a ledge?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Is there a way to control her momentum like this in the air?

As in, Vanishing aerially makes Sheik moves upwards. So, shouldn't there be some way to make her move forwards, or even downwards when in the air? Or, is there a way to do the vanish glide without a ledge - as in, on the floor.

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
I'll try and explain it from what I understand. Ankoku, correct me and explain it if I'm wrong please:confused:?

You glide horizontally when you do a vanish glide, because it's the ground version of the Vanish. It's being performed on the ground and you're sliding off the edge in the middle of it into a glide. When it's grounded, it's most likely not programmed to have any relation to aerial movement/momentum. So it just keeps all your momentum as you slide off (horizontally and I'd be willing to put my money on vertically as well), that's why the timing differs on the distance the glide travels.

When it's the aerial version of Vanish, it all but completely stops horizontal momentum. So no, it's not possible to do it or anything similar if you're using the aerial vanish.

Anyways, to answer your question, no. It wouldn't be possible to do anything momentum related with vanish (other than vanish glide) because:

- 1) a grounded vanish has ground momentum stopping physics and aerial vanish pushes you up too high to even experiment with getting grounded during it (maybe with edge popping, but there's still the issue of no horizontal momentum during the move).

- 2) The word glide means being airborne or relating to it. If there was a way to keep the momentum while using vanish and being completely grounded, it'd be called a Vanish Slide :laugh:.

As a side note: I'm gonna test out the vertical part with a Mr.G&W uair. It could be a useless trick for a laugh in doubles friendlies or something lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Aerial Vanish maintains whatever momentum you have throughout and doesn't let you maneuver it very well. Beginning also makes you do a jump, which generates the initial momentum. Standing Vanish ends all your acceleration and lets friction slow you down. Sliding off the stage turns it into an aerial Vanish with whatever horizontal momentum you had left.

Top Bottom