• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vancouver Tournament

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
On the week of October 8-14, we are planning to host a major tournament in the Vancouver, Canada area. I'll have more info up as soon as I can.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
On the week of October 8-14, we are planning to host a major tournament in the Vancouver, Canada area. I'll have more info up as soon as I can.
add me on msn as well: browncurry@hotmail.com

I suggest making the tournament on a holiday of October 8th (Sunday) or October 14th (Saturday) October 14th would be way better though..

Let us know the rules and such also when u can..

Whos the "we" in your group?

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
The fee is going to be $5 and the prize is unknown yet. There's going to be one prize - first place.
Rules are:

-5 stock, 1 battle
-We will vote on whether items should be on or off.
-The date has been changed. It'll be either September 23/24 or October 28/29.
It'll probably be hosted either around the Lougheed Mall area or North Van.

As soon as I know everything for sure, I'll update again.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
The fee is going to be $5 and the prize is unknown yet. There's going to be one prize - first place.
Rules are:

-5 stock, 1 battle

May I advise you or the tournament holder to look around at the Tournament Discussion page to look at rules and such. 5 stock 1 battle is not that good in my opinion, many people here play a set best out of 3 at least, 4 stock too.
Items are turned off too, because a while ago it was shown that without items on people can show off their skill a lot better.

Add me to MSN for information and such. chinkboi253@hotmail.com

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Rules are:

-5 stock, 1 battle

Sorry but if they are 5 stock, 1 battles, items on or any combonation of these I will not be going.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
I suggest using these rules for your tournament to be big and successful..

SSBM B.C. Rules:

Singles: Double Elimination

Stock : 4 stock
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals; Higher stock/percent wins, if exact draw, then match restarts with each player having one life and lasts until one wins.)
(Round Robin for seeding into double elimination brackets.)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, in the Semi Finals (losers and winners) we go to best out of 5. Finals are best out of 5 match.
Stages: 1st stage random, following by Advanced Slob Picks -- Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
*Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking.
Random stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Kirby64.
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Mini Hyrule,Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt. All other stages allowed.
Entrance Fee: TBA
Pot: 60/30/10 Rounded up or down in the fairest possible rounding to make it easy to split.
Items: Off

Additional rules:
Double Blind pick may be called at any time
Banned stages can be picked if both players agree

Teams: Double Elimination

Stock : 4 stock
Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals.)
(Round Robin for seeding into double elimination brackets.)
Rounds: Best 2/3 matches, in the Finals (losers and winners) we go to best out of 5.
Stages: 1st stage random, following by Advanced Slob Picks
Random stages: Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64 -Dreamland.
Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Mini Hyrule, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt. All other stages allowed.
Entrance Fee: TBA
Pot: 60/30/10 Rounded up or down in the fairest possible rounding to make it easy to split.
Items: Off
Ties broken by lives/percentages, if exact tie, super sudden death
Team Attack ON
Life Stealing Allowed

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
Due to popular demand Items are now off :ohwell:
Some rules from the so called "BC rules" are pretty good, so these are the official final rules:

-Entrance Fee: $5
-Singles - Double Elimination
-4 stock
-Items Off
-Time limit: 8 minutes (10 for semi-finals and finals)
Higher stock wins, or if a player has a more than 50% advantage.
If exact draw, then match restarts with each player having one life and lasts until one wins.
-Rounds: Best 2/3 matches.
-All stages random.
-No stage may be used twice in a single match.
-All stages can be randomly picked except for the banned stages:
Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Hyrule Temple, Green Greens, Mute City, Flatzone, Mushroom Kingdom
-Pot: 50/20/10 Rounded up or down in the fairest possible rounding to make it easy to split.

Date: October 28,2006 Time: TBA Place: TBA

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Due to popular demand Items are now off :ohwell:
Some rules from the so called "BC rules" are pretty good, so these are the official final rules:

-Entrance Fee: $5
-Singles - Double Elimination
-4 stock
-Items Off
Higher stock wins, or if a player has a more than 50% advantage.
If exact draw, then match restarts with each player having one life and lasts until one wins.
-Rounds: Best 2/3 matches.
-All stages random.
-All stages can be randomly picked except for the banned stages:
Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Hyrule Temple, Green Greens, Mute City, Flatzone, Mushroom Kingdom
-Pot: 50/20/10 Rounded up or down in the fairest possible rounding to make it easy to split.

Date: October 28,2006 Time: TBA Place: TBA
Those "BC Rules" have been established firmly over the past 4-5 years. At a professional level you would see rules much like these and nothing else. It is your tournament so you host it how you will. IT's 5 bux. I'll probably be in as long as the rest of Richmond Crew is down.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
By the way the Xygote games SSBM tourney might be on October 28th as well since the tourney will be either October 22nd (sunday) or October 28th (Saturday) so i suggest changing it to a different date.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Ugh. I suggest banning some more stages.
I noticed Venom/LakeHylia/Fourside/Brinstar(The one with the lizard thing) aren't banned but MuteCity and JungleJapes are.
I suggest changing it a bit because some people can really abuse these stages. Especially Lake Hylia and Brinstar should be banned atleast.

Banned stages: Hyrule Temple, Venom, Fourside, Mini Hyrule, Yoshi's Island 64, Brinstar Depths, Onett, Flatzone, Icicle Mt. All other stages allowed. Is how it should be.

But at least most of the stages you chose were right to ban. But its sounds a lot better now.
*Hopes the location is near*

Metà

Smash Master
Can you hold this in November or something? I don't want to sound whiney, but I can't go to Xygote, GameClucks, AND this. Meh, I'll just have to choose one or two to go to. Probably Gameclucks.

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
Well, its at the end of October.
And theres no real good time in November to hold it so yea its gonna be the 28th.
An official site for the tourney, http://vanssbm.cjb.net, should be up later today.

Edit:
Termina and Brinstar Depths have been added to the banlist.
The two in debate right now are Mute City and Yoshi's Island 64.
If you want them on or gone, post here and explain why.

Metà

Smash Master
Yoshi's Island is almost always banned, because some characters can camp excessively well on the clouds. Mute City is usually allowed for counterpicks, because there is no randomness, and no places to hide.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Diffintily Yoshi Story 64 since people can hide on the clouds and camp like Meta said. Mute City can and should be used for Counter Picks since theres not much randomness and no places to camp and such.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
"When & Where
The tournament will be hosted on: Saturday, October 28th, 2006 at 1:00 PM.
The location will be just south of the intersection of Whiteley Court and 27th Street in the Lynn Valley region of North Vancouver, just south of Lynn Valley Mall. There will be directions from the mall and from the Lynn Valley Rd and Mountain Hwy exits from Highway #1, pointing to the location of the tournament. For directions to the tournament location, go to How To Get There."

Hmm... i thought it would be vancouver... but i guess I'm going there now. Hmm.... I never really got to play the actual locals in NVan.... but it will be interesting... see you there guys =D

I don't mind Rainbow Cruise for the tourney, i think its for counter picking if its bad we can always use that "each player can ban one stage" rule.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Mute City should be allowed since its not really random (Cars come at the same time.)
Yoshi 64 should be banned due to camping. Like the others have said.
Also All stages should not be Random.

First match should be random and then for the 2nd and 3rd match it is the loser picks level then the winner of the previous match may change character if he/she chooses not to change character then the loser of the previous match may counter pick character.

Stages on Random for Singles - Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium, Final Destination, DreamLand, Yoshi Story, Fountain of Dream.
Stages for counter picking - All other stages that aren't banned.

The reason why those 6 should be on random only are because they are the most balanced stages to start with and won't give any serious advantage to another player.

Same thing should apply for doubles but ban Fountain of Dream for doubles due to lag.

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
Official Tournament Rules - Final Edition

-Singles - Double Elimination - Entrance Fee: $5
-Doubles (2on2 team battle) - Double Elimination - Entrance Fee: $3 for each person
-4 stock
-Items off
For Singles: Higher stock wins, or if a player has a more than 50% advantage. If draw, Sudden Death Mode. (1 life)
For Doubles: Higher stock (added together) wins, or if a team has a more than 100% advantage. If draw, Sudden Death Mode. (1 life)
-Rounds: Best 2/3 matches. Best 3/5 matches for finals.
-First stage is randomly selected from the following: Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Battlefield, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams
The loser of the battle can pick the next stage to battle in from any stage except for the banned stages: Icicle Mountain, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Hyrule Temple, Green Greens, Flatzone, Mushroom Kingdom, Termina, Brinstar Depths, Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue
-Banned stages can be picked if both(or all four for Doubles) players agree - EXCEPT for Hyrule Temple.
-After the loser selects the stage, the winner may change their character. Then, the loser may change their character.
-Stalling tactics such as Wallbombing will result in disqualification.
-For Doubles: Team Attack on
-For Doubles: Life stealing allowed
-Winnings: 50%/20%/10% of pot rounded up or down in the fairest possible rounding to make it easy to split.
-Date: October 28,2006 Time: 1:00 PM
-Place: 27th Street @ Whiteley Court, North Vancouver, BC (Close to Lynn Valley Mall)

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Uh, 50/20/10 only adds up to 80 >_> Using the 20% to fund the venue or whatever is fine, but you shouldn't try to hide it =p

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Uh, 50/20/10 only adds up to 80 >_> Using the 20% to fund the venue or whatever is fine, but you shouldn't try to hide it =p
Maybe he just assumed we'd know that. Anyways yeah I'm definetly coming to this. Richmond crew is gunna take top 4 spots so WATCH OUT!! :psycho:

EDIT: WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! 1,000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111oneone

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
Lol, how did I try to hide it:laugh:
I guess I forgot to mention it though
The remaning 20% is going towards funding the tournament

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
The Nanaimo Crew.......sucks lol
We probly wouldnt crew battle money match, if thats what you mean by MM.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! 1,000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111oneone
Traitor, should have done the 1000th post in the BC thread >=( I want to come to this considering I want to help run a tournament at SFU Surrey. I should go to more than just that one time at Wally's XD I'll see how my schedule is. I think this tournament is the weekend before my second IAT project is due.

eszutu

Smash Rookie
Traitor, should have done the 1000th post in the BC thread >=( I want to come to this considering I want to help run a tournament at SFU Surrey. I should go to more than just that one time at Wally's XD I'll see how my schedule is. I think this tournament is the weekend before my second IAT project is due.
I think someone mentioned to me that there's a Smash64 club on the burnaby campus where they play smash in a room all the time

Patooty

Smash Ace
Bold, John :p

btw my Peach is pretty good now :) I've only really used it on Adam and Ryan. And in one inexplicable match when Eric's DK was going stock for stock with my Peach until the end :psycho: . I might have used it on some other people too but meh. I think it's too long since we smashed... Also, I'm dissappointed NorthVan tourney turned out to be $5 entry :\ Does anyone(Eric, Adam, John) wanna get a ride with me and chip in for transport fees? :D

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Hey I was wondering. Is there a chance that you can get a VCR for one of the TV so I can do some recording for like semifinal/final matches?

And Tiep, I might not get a ride from you. Because Jeff wants to go to and don't want him to bus alone.

Slippy Toad

Smash Cadet
Yea I think we'll have a couple of vcrs in place
Also, does anyone here play Starfox Assault? Cause we're thinking of holding a SFA mini tourney after the Smash tourney. (First Assault tourney ever :o)

Top Bottom