• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vallejo,CA NorCal Melee/Brawl Tournaments!

Irow

Smash Ace
Alright, this is Irow from ABD.

My crew and I are currently looking at venues around the city to host, what we plan, to either be Monthlies or even Bi-Weeklies. We would like to host Bi-Weeklies, but it really all depends on the place we can get.

What we would like to know, is if people can make it over here. Vallejo seems like a pretty good distance between San Francisco and Sacramento, so I think it'd lower traveling costs between the two areas. If you are willing to come, how often? Is it even a good idea for a Bi-Weekly? Or just keep it to a Monthly? We need input.

There are a lot of fast food places in Vallejo, and most of the venues we're looking at are very close to them. I very much would like to host these, but I really need input from NorCal.

We plan for these tournaments to sell drinks and snacks. These would primarily be used to help pay for the venue. Instead of charging a venue fee, just buy rice krispies/Juice from us. Depending on the place, we'll have to charge a venue fee anyway. But I've noticed a lot of hungry smashers before, and I'd like to keep people from starving if they don't want to go to fast food. Any other ideas to offset venue fees?

Entrance fee will most likely start off at $5 for Melee events, $10 for Brawl. We'll change the fee depending on venue. I'd like for all events to be $5, but it's not looking too hot.

Please give any input at all. Basically, we need to know if we have NorCal's support in this - because it will fail without it.

Also on sidenote, there will most likely be a smashfest at my house on Halloween. It's very limited space. So Message me if you'd like a spot. My AIM is Irow Syblane.

Irow

Smash Ace
Alright man, sounds good. I haven't been on here in a while. I'm pretty much on AllisBrawl most of the time.

Just keep on spreading the word. I need input on how to run this ****, and people to post here or let me know that they'd be willing to come regularly.

I'm trying to start this up before the year ends, quickest would be in a couple weeks to a month.

Irow

Smash Ace
Wait, what? What would I be searching for?

I'm trying to let people know about a possible tournament a group of Vallejo smashers would be hosting. I wasn't aware there would be a thread for such purposes. Does my topic not warrent it's own thread?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Melee, you say?

Hmm, across the bay. We'll see; come Halloween and if I've nothing to do, I'll probably go.

Irow

Smash Ace
Yeah, it'll be Melee too. People always say how's it's a better game, so why not give them a place to play?

But I'm pretty sure Brawl would have to take priority, considering there would be more Brawl players than Melee.

If you want details about the Smashfest, my AIM is Irow Syblane.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Yeah, I have no issue with that; I'm just not too interested in Brawl as a competitive game in and of itself :/

Thanks for the info etc.

rayecho

Smash Ace
Bi-weeklies are easily the best idea. Melee should be the main event, just because its such a better game. Brawl might come second.

Irow

Smash Ace
I don't think that could be feasible, considering that Brawl does have a larger player base. I would only swich to a Melee main event if the community showed up more than the Brawl players.

That isn't to say in the future, if these Bi-Weeklies become sucessful, I won't host a large all-Melee tourny.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you personally enjoy both anyway, alternating them isn't a bad idea

revisiting the same tournament every 2 weeks is honestly a bit much to me anyway, and for the most part, melee and brawl appeal to different demographics here

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
I might travel for melee since it's on the way to see my gf anyways. 10 bucks for brawl? That's harsh, not that I play the game but still. There would likely be two, maybe three, others from Davis willing to travel. You should hop on down to Davis if you get the chance.

Irow

Smash Ace
You see, the entrance fee is ten for Brawl for a larger pot/ or to pay for some of the venue.

I can easily change it to five if people complain.

rayecho

Smash Ace
If or when you guys get this venue, the entry fee shouldn't be 10, 5 is the good'o'l fashion price everyone knows and loves. If you guys want, you could do a set for prizes if a venue fee is needed(first place gets 100 etc......) or just take like 10 or 15 percent out of the pot. Having to pay for a venue fee itself sucks so I hope the food thing goes well.

Norcal will support this 100% since tournaments dont happen often, TAG is a while away, and Enders is dumb ;P

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I live in Napa and would be happy to come to bi-weeklies, as long as it's at a decent venue and not in some guy's garage.

pockyD

Smash Legend
10 is fine, especially if a 5 entry causes the pot to basically become something ridiculous like 25% of the entry fees

don't screw the winners (and it's not like I ever win, so this isn't out of selfishness - it's out of principle), screw everyone equally

Irow

Smash Ace
Eh, I know a lot of people miss NorCal Bi-Weeklies - I just thought that this could serve as a replacement. I'm very passionate about running this right. Right now, we're trying to negotiate with a couple of venues... but people here aren't too sure about a videogame tourney, hopefully somebody has a change of heart.

The first one might end up being at my house, just for tourney running experience.

pockyD

Smash Legend
if you have to put up any significant amount of money for the venue, biweeklies won't be a great idea, as you probably won't get the turnout that you'd need to adequately cover the venue fee

monthlies would probably work out better (and if you do this, make sure to try not to conflict with the other monthlies that go on)

Irow

Smash Ace
That's what I was thinking if I couldn't find a cheap enough place.

How much do you think is a good price for a venue used for a biweekly?

Man, Vallejo sucks. Time to keep looking...

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
yeah monthlies, biweeklies are too often and people will say "well i can miss this one they'll be another in a few weeks" as opposed to the next month

pockyD

Smash Legend
That's what I was thinking if I couldn't find a cheap enough place.

How much do you think is a good price for a venue used for a biweekly?

Man, Vallejo sucks. Time to keep looking...
I wouldn't do biweeklies at all if you had to put in a flat amount for the venue (as opposed to, say, a percentage of the pot). Attendance will fluctuate far too wildly

Irow

Smash Ace
Alright, I'll try to work something out with the venue owners. I mean, there are a lot of places in Vallejo that would be suited... I mean a LOT. It just comes down to the owners. How much would be a good percentage?

If I can't, then a monthly it'll have to be.

There are far too less tournies in NorCal.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Agreed there definately need to be more tournies.

I am moving to Nor Cal soon, this weekend actually.

I hope to start up a scene like I did here in So Cal.

I started the Shuffle and Cut weeklies. Which are now twice a week one day brawl and one day melee.

Irow

Smash Ace
Oh dope, where are you moving up to?

I just want to open up gates for new people to get in at a higher level of play, and give more practice to our better players.

I want NorCal to **** hella harder then it does now.

Miles.

Smash Champion
I am moving to Sunnyvale.

So you are like a hour or a little more away.

Thats not to bad.

I most likely will try to host a smashfest/ Tourney at my casa in early october, unless I fly to Texas forf a smash tourney.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i'm in the cheese's crew, and we got hella melee players here

a few for brawl too

so yeah if u can hold melee we'd b down =) gl with the venue

quak

Smash Champion
alternating would be a very good idea

i would only go to the ONLY melee tournaments

im not the only one with this mentality

Naota21t

Smash Champion
alternating would be a very good idea

i would only go to the ONLY melee tournaments

im not the only one with this mentality
Theres also people who would only go to Brawl tournaments (aka everyone on the Norcal power rankings lol).

Or you could be hella sick and go to both tournaments, like me. Chyeaaaa

Irow

Smash Ace
I'll probably do alternating if enough Melee people show up. I mean there has to be a large enough player base to warrent it's own day.

And right now, it's pretty much fact that there are more Brawl players than Melee players here.

Hell, Axis had like 300 people - and most of them were from NorCal (because it was hosted here)

If I can only hold a tourney once a month, it'll most likely be a Brawl primary, and Melee secondary. Yes, I do realize that Melee is the better game, but it's just there are simply more Brawl players.

Top Bottom