• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uuhggag Mr. Game and Watch...

Keoki

Smash Cadet
Hey I've been on smashboards for a long time now but i never joined until now. I'm a mario main and i was wondering if you have any tips on how to beat G&W. The way i play mario, i mainly rely on gimping my opponent with cape, fludd, and fair/bair (mainly cape and fludd) since mario's kill power isn't amazing. However, caping mr g&w's b-up gives it back to him unlike most chars, so caping doesnt work (i thought only snake got his b-up back, guess i was wrong. my brother mains snake and g&w, lucky me.:() also fludd isnt too effective because he has his parchute so his horizontal recovery is good, and so is his vertical. So all i really have to edgegaurd with are fair and bair, but his b-up is fast and good and he can attack/airdodge out of it. Attacking him when hes on stage is hard too. he can spam his super power smashes like there's no tomorrow, so whenever i get near him he spams d-smash till he hits then follows up by having his turtle eat my shield so it can nab at my face. im no pro, so i decided to come to them for help. Plz tell me whether mario can do good against g&w, or if i should just choose a new second to counter pick him. So...

Your thoughts?

Bl4nk

Smash Cadet
Game and Watch have few weaknesses, but his biggest one is his incredible light weight. He is very hard to gimp, but in return you can smash him out of the screen even though you don't have as much power as Donkey Kong. Fsmash and usmash kills G&W at pretty low percents.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
FLUDD all his aerials, he's one of the few characters that truly can be shut down using the FLUDD. I doubt anyone is near good enough to use the FLUDD like that but it's still something useful to know. I still don't like the FLUDD but it's starting to look better and better everyday.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Just play it slow & be aware of what he can potentially do far as hitting you. If he uses smashes constantly, no rush. Let him stale his moves. Bair/Dair are his main damage racker moves. Once you learn the moves and possible approaches GW capable of doing it becomes easier to combat.

Try not to shoot too many fireballs at him. I usually only use them when i'm at arms length. If he manages to bucket 2, great. It will be on his mind consantly, (I only need 1 more) Hopefully he blindly uses the laggy bucket move with wishful thinking. Then you can punish his light self with a smash.

Everybody plays mario differently.. Me, as Mario I love keeping my forward smash KO fresh. Rest of the moves I go crazy with if it can potentially connect at that point in time. Up smash I use often, but only if my backs away from him. Has more range that way & more likely to hit him. Down smash is another I use to damage rack. Nair/Bair, Occasional Dair depending on the situation.

Edit: Judge Judy is correct. Fludd is not only a gimp tool. For example; A short charge fludd at GW while he's doing his Dair, will halt him right above you, you come in and Uair him, Up smash, Bair, ect ect. Whatever's convenient at connecting. Short charged fludd's don't have long duration's either, long enough to halt the opposition for you to hit though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Like seriously, pick a different character. This matchup is so demoralizingly bad, and I know this since I main both characters. For everything you have, G&W can do something better. The only good news for Mario is that he's hard to hit with the D-throw D-smash combo.

Just play it slow & be aware of what he can potentially do far as hitting you. If he uses smashes constantly, no rush. Let him stale his moves. Bair/Dair are his main damage racker moves. Once you learn the moves and possible approaches GW capable of doing it becomes easier to combat.
Moves only stale if they hit. Besides, G&W can unstale all of his attacks by U-air stalling.

G&W is really hard to approach because his D-tilt outranges everything you have. His aerials outprioritize even your Up-B. His kill moves can't be punished easily because either the hitboxes last forever or because they have no ending lag.

They key to winning IMO is having a lot of balls for powershielding his attacks. And outranging whatever you can with pivoted F-smashes.

Keoki

Smash Cadet
Ok so i guess ill practice more with mario but ill probably just end up choosing a second for this matchup. So anyone know a good counterpick to G&W? i heard D3 and Dk were good but i really dont know

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Ok so i guess ill practice more with mario but ill probably just end up choosing a second for this matchup. So anyone know a good counterpick to G&W? i heard D3 and Dk were good but i really dont know
Marth and Snake are pretty good against him.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Like seriously, pick a different character. This matchup is so demoralizingly bad, and I know this since I main both characters. For everything you have, G&W can do something better. The only good news for Mario is that he's hard to hit with the D-throw D-smash combo.

Moves only stale if they hit. Besides, G&W can unstale all of his attacks by U-air stalling.

G&W is really hard to approach because his D-tilt outranges everything you have. His aerials outprioritize even your Up-B. His kill moves can't be punished easily because either the hitboxes last forever or because they have no ending lag.

They key to winning IMO is having a lot of balls for powershielding his attacks. And outranging whatever you can with pivoted F-smashes.
FLUDD really helps during this match-up but playing defensively only goes so far, G&W is really hard to offensively play against. The match-up is really bad for Mario but you have enough tricks up your sleeve to keep G&W from having total control. I personally hate fighting G&W cause I can't play offensively well at all against him and it gets old fast.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth I wouldn't recommend as much because he gets D-throw D-smashed, and also because I think he's a more difficult character to use, but he goes about even if you can space and counter right.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman

Moves get stale when you use them. Doesnt matter if ther connect or not. Hard matchup, but not impossible.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Marth I wouldn't recommend as much because he gets D-throw D-smashed, and also because I think he's a more difficult character to use, but he goes about even if you can space and counter right.
umm yea Marth is good against G&W.. He outranges him, kills G&W at like 70% with a tipper, and ***** him with side B

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lol true. When does Mario's smashs even kill mostly anyways? maybe 120%s? Or 90%s for GaW?

Edit : Wow im so sleepy. i meant to say was, if he bucketed the fireball it has starting/ending lag but meh. you get my drift

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Lol true. When does Mario's smashs even kill mostly anyways? maybe 120%s? Or 90%s for GaW?

Edit : Wow im so sleepy. i meant to say was, if he bucketed the fireball it has starting/ending lag but meh. you get my drift
Mario's Fsmash is real nice when fresh. I always try to save my Fmashes.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
umm yea Marth is good against G&W.. He outranges him, kills G&W at like 70% with a tipper, and ***** him with side B
Just saying, Snake is better vs G&W than Marth. If slightly. Also Marth is a hard character to pick up IMO.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's the hitlag of the attack that made it last that long. B-airing the Luigi's mansion pillars has a similar effect and causes the attack to last 90 million years.

The only time G&W would EVER use Judgement in a serious match IMO is a B-boosted Judgement from the ledge. Which is extremely situational at best. Or MAYBE a techchase Judgement from a D-throw at low percents.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oddly enough, I don't have that much of a problem against Mr. Game and Watch. Metaknight is a much harder match up for Mario in my opinion. When I fight Mr. Game and Watch, I usually change my playstyle. For starters, I only use fireballs when he's point blank range in order to avoid the ever dreaded bucket. Second, I don't concentrate on gimping him as much as I do with other characters. Like Snake and Sonic, his recovery gives him a big vertical lift so using FLUDD to try to gimp him is pointless and so is trying to cape him because he'll gain back his recovery anyways. My goal is to KO him with an usmash or fsmash (both can be done relatively easily at about 100% on a medium sized stage). I reserve the FLUDD to stop his fair and bair approachs and to set him up for a fsmash to the face when I predict his dair. I reserve the cape for his dair too.

One of the things you have to remember about Mr. Game and Watch is that he has a lot of moves that can easily be spammed so it's not a good idea to stay close to him for long periods of time. Dtilt and dsmash are especially annoying and getting stuck in his jab will make you want to punch a baby. You should also treat him like you would the Ice Climbers or King Dedede and try not to get grabbed. If you do get caught in his dthrow, press left or right immediately upon hitting the ground to avoid the dsmash. Your opponent may, however, use the dthrow as a sort of tech case by either using the jab or the judgment hammer in the direction that you roll. At higher percentages, it will have to be a risk that you'll have to take. You have a 1/9 (a little more than 11%) chance of instantly being killed by the judgement hammer but you also have to keep in mind that your opponent has to be able to read your movements to pull it off if you decide to roll so try not to be predictible.

I'll add some more comments later but it's pretty late where I live and I really don't few like saying too much else. :laugh:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I do know that a well time utilt > GaW's dair. Also, Like fatmanonice, I slightly alter my play style. I use less fireballs and I concentrate on racking up damage. AAA and SH Nair are good and quick and are lovely for being damage builders.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
How do you counter his B-Air? He can just keep SHing you with it, and there's nothing I can do but run away... and when I get to the end of the stage, I'm forced to simply shield or get turtle shell'd.

Also, is there a way to take advantage of those who spam his smashes? Especially his D-Smash.

Top Bottom