• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilt

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
leiraD here. Wanted to get a feel from other Samus players about when you use utilt. I know the move is prety quick, puts on good damage, and can spike, but somehow I can never find the right time to throw it into my game. The only time I use it consistently is against little make when he's trying to recover. I'd love to get some feedback or video from you guys as to what circumstances are a trigger for you to throw the utilt out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong
Utilt is good when an opponent is approaching from front-above you. To be honest, utilt is not that fast. But generally, I use it as a mix-up.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Yeah Up Tilt is slow, not really a move you can use on reaction, I reserve it's use to pokng people trying to recover and for Roll reads. It's good in that in can cover a SH approach or a Roll/Dash in, so I like to do it pre emptively after a retreating bomb, but generally this move requires a good read to be landed

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Huh... Just checked the frame date. Why not use u-angled fsmash? It's faster and has more knock-back. Any particular reason other than just as a mix-up?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Well it covers a lot more space and is more active, and landing it leads to a lot more reward if they don't tech

Last edited:

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
Also I think uair combos into utilt and not f Smash... Not sure on that.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I use Utilt alot actually, I find it rewarding when i can either Dtilt combo with it or with certain characters I've managed to combo it into itself 3 times. like mentioned earlier its great for SH approaches, and it frustrates a player who cant seem to penetrate it as their jumping and dashing around and you just stand your ground kicking them in the head.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Months ago I used f-tilt liberally, up-tilt sparingly. Now I'm the complete opposite, I throw out this move all the time and f-tilt is the lesser used. If you haven't been following the combo thread, up-air sourspots do not combo into up-tilt but leave a 5-frame window which is difficult for some characters to do anything within and often makes teching extremely hard.
I love this move, I just wish it couldn't be teched at all. The same for d-air.
The cooldown is what makes this such a good neutral game option. Up-tilt -> spotdodge, up-tilt -> d-tilt. Up-tilt -> up-B, Up-tilt -> SH-AD. Up-tilt has the broadest range of true-combos and some of the best.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Months ago I used f-tilt liberally, up-tilt sparingly. Now I'm the complete opposite, I throw out this move all the time and f-tilt is the lesser used. If you haven't been following the combo thread, up-air sourspots do not combo into up-tilt but leave a 5-frame window which is difficult for some characters to do anything within and often makes teching extremely hard.
The cooldown is what makes this such a good neutral game option. Up-tilt -> spotdodge, up-tilt -> d-tilt. Up-tilt -> up-B, Up-tilt -> SH-AD. Up-tilt has the broadest range of true-combos and some of the best.
That's really helpful. I'll look into some of those combos.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I too have been adding more and more Utilts to my game. Currently up to Half&Half Tilt/Utilt....with those little things tho...Utilt maaay become my new best friend!

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
U-Tilt has it's uses combined with perfect pivot:

Also when your enemy is above you on a plattform it can be a pain for your enemy.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
U-Tilt has it's uses combined with perfect pivot:

Also when your enemy is above you on a plattform it can be a pain for your enemy.
Such a good video. This is the video that convinced me I needed to practice my PP -> u-tilt.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I keep my up tilt uses to pressuring shields on the ledge above me and the occasional edge guard mixup

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
and can spike,
Unfortunately this isn't the case.

The move looks like it should spike because the animation is almost identical to Captain Falcon's up tilt, but unlike Falcon's up tilt, it does not spike (which is a bit odd considering it can hit the opponent into the stage when they are grounded, but not when they are in the air).

It does however still have a lot of knockback so if you manage to land one on a recovering opponent and the percentage is high enough, you'll probably KO them anyway.

If done on grounded opponents the up tilt can actually set up into jab locks.

I tend to use up tilt pretty sparingly because it has a pretty long startup on it where you are pretty easily punished. It does have uses, but spiking is not one of them.

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Unfortunately this isn't the case.

The move looks like it should spike because the animation is almost identical to Captain Falcon's up tilt, but unlike Falcon's up tilt, it does not spike (which is a bit odd considering it can hit the opponent into the stage when they are grounded, but not when they are in the air).

It does however still have a lot of knockback so if you manage to land one on a recovering opponent and the percentage is high enough, you'll probably KO them anyway.

If done on grounded opponents the up tilt can actually set up into jab locks.

I tend to use up tilt pretty sparingly because it has a pretty long startup on it where you are pretty easily punished. It does have uses, but spiking is not one of them.
Just relaxed that, lol. @ KayJay KayJay was right about pputilt. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom