• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utilizing different pikmin effectively

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm just really slow, but how much do you guys actually rearrange your pikmin to use at opportune times? I feel like im at the bay of relying on whatever pikmin comes next. Which makes me wonder : Is there a set order they're plucked in or anyway to control which pikmin you will pluck next?

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
In Brawl it was said that the stages have different ratios for the colors, but as far as I know it's just random.

While we're at it, how does Down-B work in PM? Does it call on the next Pikmin in the chain or does it still order by color?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just really slow, but how much do you guys actually rearrange your pikmin to use at opportune times? I feel like im at the bay of relying on whatever pikmin comes next. Which makes me wonder : Is there a set order they're plucked in or anyway to control which pikmin you will pluck next?
If you're serious about maining him, you'll learn that depending on the situation, there are some pikmin better equipped for different situations. For instance, you survive to the next stock with all your pikmin flowered? white pikmin give the flowered (brawls equivalent of poison) on hit with any move that involves them, and can rack up damage really early without the risk of them being thrown; and vice versa, a purple pikmin can kill really early compared to the others, and is pretty much garunteed at later percents. Just to throw in another example, if you've got two blue pikmin (or one)? don't feel bummed for your luck (i say this because many don't feel the blue are as valuable), they still hit well and combo just like the others, for hitting they're sort of the "normal" pikmin, and then you have the added benefit that their throws kill amazingly.
okay, i hope that long winded post helped, also in answer to your second question. short answer? no

long answer...?
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl it was said that the stages have different ratios for the colors, but as far as I know it's just random.

While we're at it, how does Down-B work in PM? Does it call on the next Pikmin in the chain or does it still order by color?
I'm actually doing an experiment to test if that still applies in PM, I'll post the results later today. but the whistle orders them by color rather the next pikmin.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Just think about what each pikmin excels at, then use your own judgement for when said pikmin would be best.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually doing an experiment to test if that still applies in PM, I'll post the results later today. but the whistle orders them by color rather the next pikmin.

I hate to go back on my word, but something important came up with a friend today so i wasn't able to finish this up. just covering myself in case anyone was actually waiting on it. I'll have it up by thursday (i work tomorrrow)

GeZ

Smash Lord

You're going to have a ***** of a time. It's still in place, but the percent chances vary so slightly and so often from specific parts of each individual stage, that it doesn't have any real impact on Oli's stage choice.

Also this thread should be getting the most action in the Olimar forums, as it discusses the main thing Olimar players NEED to do. Without bettering your ability to be Pikmin conscious you'll never really tune up your Olimar game. I want to see this character get better treatment but as far as I can tell, only new arrivals are really seriously picking him up. It's damn near heartbreaking :drsad:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You're going to have a ***** of a time. It's still in place, but the percent chances vary so slightly and so often from specific parts of each individual stage, that it doesn't have any real impact on Oli's stage choice.

Also this thread should be getting the most action in the Olimar forums, as it discusses the main thing Olimar players NEED to do. Without bettering your ability to be Pikmin conscious you'll never really tune up your Olimar game. I want to see this character get better treatment but as far as I can tell, only new arrivals are really seriously picking him up. It's damn near heartbreaking :drsad:
Once he starts to get developed, people will realize, the grass is greener on the other side :088:

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
General situations for each pikmin.

Red-Should be used for kills if you have no purple. Throws are average, can be used to combo with.

Yellow-They have a good angle on the sideb toss, they're throws are good for comboing.

Blue-Really grabs, average at anythng else.

White- Flowers can be used to rack up damage, if you throw them and let them attack a bit. You can just call them back so they don't explode for more damage potential.

Purple-Switch too these if you want to punish with a single attack, always found having two of these can work wonders with any 2 pikmin.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
General situations for each pikmin.

Red-Should be used for kills if you have no purple. Throws are average, can be used to combo with.

Yellow-They have a good angle on the sideb toss, they're throws are good for comboing.

Blue-Really grabs, average at anythng else. ( highest DMG grab and slightly bigger grab range"I think" )

White- Flowers can be used to rack up damage, if you throw them and let them attack a bit. You can just call them back so they don't explode for more damage potential. ( Once they flower, if you pummel someone during a grab, they will poison said character. This poison will do 14DMG and all atks poison last for different durations. Charging a smash atk will also alter this time. )

Purple-Switch too these if you want to punish with a single attack, always found having two of these can work wonders with any 2 pikmin.
added a few things~

Yea, you didn't add in yellows are good for comboing . Once they flower, they gain the eletric effect. This effect has more hit stun. Flowered whites, are good at everything, except living. Suicidual basturds.

Something else to know, is pikmin toss with purples is a good approach from mid range. Simply SH side b (input atk.) Once the person is around 70-80+(Depending on weight) you'll want to do what I call, " the pikmin slide." This technique is a shout hop, side B waveland. This is nessary for following up with a purple pikmin at higher percentages, due to how far people will be knocked back. This can also be used to retreat. The timing is some what strict. Oh and don't forget, just tossing a purple pikmin is enough to gimp.

Aside from that, I haven't found any hidden jutsu :nifty:

I've been considering making a guide(s) for Olimar. I'm just lazy :ness:

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
This is probably the dumbest question ever, but when Olimar is standing still, how do tell which Pikmin you are going to use for the next move?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
This is probably the dumbest question ever, but when Olimar is standing still, how do tell which Pikmin you are going to use for the next move?
EX: let`s say you have a red pikmin, a yellow pikmin, a blue pikmin, and a purple pikmin. Let`s say they are currently ordered red, purple, blue, yellow, olimar (from back of the line to front of the line. The first whistle would put them at red, purple, blue, yellow, olimar, then the second whistle would put them yellow, red, purple, blue, olimar, the next would put them at blue, yellow, red, purple, olimar, and I think you get the jest. Now let`s say you had a red, a purple, and two blues ordered red, blue, purple, blue, olimar. The first whistle would put them at red, purple, blue, blue, olimar, the second would put them at blue, blue, red, purple. I`m going to make a visual chart soon.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Oh... I wasn't talking about that. But that is also helpful. I was wondering, when all the Pikmin are huddled around you while you are standing still, how do you know what Pikmin you are going to use for the next move without running, or jumping etc?

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Oh... I wasn't talking about that. But that is also helpful. I was wondering, when all the Pikmin are huddled around you while you are standing still, how do you know what Pikmin you are going to use for the next move without running, or jumping etc?
Oh, in that case there really isn`t as far as I can tell (unless you only have one pikmin and then it`s fairly obvious)

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
If this is the case, you'd have to make a mental note of which pikmin is your first and second.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Some tidbits that have been missed so far.

Red does more damage than the others and is often in competition with Purple for doing the most normal damage.

Yellow has the second worst knockback but makes up for it by having a bigger hitbox than other Pikmin.

Blue has third worst damage after Red and Purple but actually has second best knockback and also knocks people back more horizontal than Purple making it a way better horizontal killer.

Everyone should hate White unless its level 3 cause its stupid.

Purple has great damage and priority and is a good projectile with Side-B, and does have more knockback than the other Pikmin but its knockback angle sends opponents at more of a diagonal up angle which tends to keep opponents from dying. Purple really excells at Star KOing though.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Some tidbits that have been missed so far.

Red does more damage than the others and is often in competition with Purple for doing the most normal damage.

Yellow has the second worst knockback but makes up for it by having a massive hitbox

Blue has third worst damage after Red and Purple but actually has second best knockback and also knocks people back more horizontal than Purple making it a way better horizontal killer.

Everyone should hate White unless its level 3 cause its stupid.

Purple has great damage and priority and is a good projectile with Side-B, and does have more knockback than the other Pikmin but its knockback angle sends opponents at more of a diagonal up angle which tends to keep opponents from dying. Purple really excells at Star KOing though.
I don't know if you said this before, and this problem isn't the thread for it, but what do you feel about Olimar in PM?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I think Olimar is a fairly strong character. The thing that holds him back the most is RNG IMO.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
Question from another Olimar scrub: How do you find time to re-order Pikmin? I always feel scared to start whistling because I think my opponent will hit me, and the best thing I tend to be able to do is just run away like a chicken with my head cut off until I have the order I want, and then if I whiff an attack I just end up feeling really dumb.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Mostly, I don't. I'll reorder to get the highest knockback Pikmin in front when the opponent is off stage but otherwise I just make due with what I have.

A lot of times I'll switch my Pikmin order by using F-air over whistling too because when you whistle sometimes its hard to tell what Pikmin is going to be in front because whistling has an order in which it works that goes like this.

Call stray Pikmin back to the line

Reorder Pikmin to be in their "default" order (Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple)

Switch order of Pikmin.

So sometimes you have to whistle multiple times for the whistle to start switching. The fun part is that when you recall your Pikmin in the first whistle you have to wait for them to be in line for the second step of Whistle to take effect. So you could whistle 3 times quickly and still not have done step 2 sometimes.

Just switch with an attack, it's so much easier.

Soniv

Smash Cadet
I didn't see it mentioned here, but white pikmin grab range seems pretty nice for spacing, and gives them at least some more utility before they become flowers.

edit: unless I'm just going insane and imagining that white pikmin have a slightly longer grab

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
White pikmin rocks when you pikmin toss it as a flower and then grab opponent with another flowered pikmin

Soniv

Smash Cadet
I'm having more trouble than I feel like I should getting Pikmin Slide to work.

It might just be that I'm a bit rusty and missing the timing, but the window seems very small. Anyone have any random tips that might help? Or is it just me being dumb and just needing more practice?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'm having more trouble than I feel like I should getting Pikmin Slide to work.

It might just be that I'm a bit rusty and missing the timing, but the window seems very small. Anyone have any random tips that might help? Or is it just me being dumb and just needing more practice?
I slide my finger from x to b. The timing is rather small.

i am unsure if this is true
But it ish!
Believe it!!

B.W.

Smash Champion
Actually, it might not be. Electricity doesn't have more hitstun in Melee/PM I don't think. I think it does in Brawl (but I've never played Brawl), but I'm almost positive that it's not a thing.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Well, in brawl the eletric effect did have more hit stun an since this goes right over brawl. I'd assume that would apply in PM as well. I'm gonna get confirmation from the PMBR in a few.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Not sure if this was said already, but do Red Pikmin have slightly stronger aerials? or did they remove that from Brawl for PM? (cuz ik it was in Brawl)

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
They do more damage than most other Pikmin. Sometimes Purple does more damage though. But yeah, the aerials, and grounded moves from Red hurt more than at least 3 other Pikmin.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what would happen if a character, like Kirby, inhaled a flowered white pikmin? Would he blow up in a insta-kill or would he just take like 50%?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm still looking for ways to find out how to view pikmin hitbox attributes.

plz understand, and ty for patience

B.W.

Smash Champion
Can Wario/Kirby/Dedede eat the Pikmin? I've yet to see it done.

It should be an instant kill Star KO imo, just cause that'd be neat and cannon.

Also, thanks for the THE MAN, Aerodrome.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Electric attacks (including electric pikmin) do not have additional hitstun, in any of the games. They have a hitlag multiplier of 1.5x (I think) which both makes them easier to hitconfirm and follow up on, but also easier to DI/SDI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom