• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Jearbear357

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jearbear357
3DS FC
3136-6787-2727
No@RVKYS. So besides today, where can I find the nearest local tourney where I live. (Sandy, Utah)

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Not really any other weeklies aside from that one. Tuesday is Provo, Wednesday is Salt Lake, and then Saturdays will have the more major tournies, usually in the Salt Lake area.

Jearbear357

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jearbear357
3DS FC
3136-6787-2727
So venue price means that's the amount you have to pay to enter the building and the tourney fee is the ammount to praticipate in the tourney. So you could pay for venue and just watch and play friendlies with everyone?

Oh and where exactly are these venues?

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
venue fees arent just to enter the buildings you can also play friendlies. tourney fee is literally adding you to a bracket. if you show up just for just friendlies you would only need to pay the venue fee

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
it was brought up in a vegas thread. here's the link. i doubt anyone would be able to use that knowledge to gain any advantage though so it's merely a trivial fact to know if you want to be pedantic.

i've been told that several nortah smashers don't like @ Tsuteto Tsuteto 's tournaments so it's no surprise that some of them didn't show up. i don't know why you say a lot of the other players didn't show up. your comments about money are a bit ill-timed since sk92--one of vegas' best players--just started talking on facebook about coming, but only if we can get like a 50+ person tournament to make it "worth it" to come. was someone being patronizing? @ Tsuteto Tsuteto has had to deal with a lot recently, so i'm sure updating the first post was pretty low on his priority list, especially considering that there are community-updated google docs with all the information someone needs linked on the pinned post of the utah smash facebook group, in the descriptions of the utah smash facebook group, in my signature, and yes, even on the first post of this thread :-p.

i decline :-p. @ Tsuteto Tsuteto is the main t.o. and is in utah for the long haul so he should maintain ownership instead of having it change every year or something :-p.

check out the utah smash events google doc. it is probably the most maintained consolidated list of utah smash events. despite that, it's a good idea to join the utah smash facebook group and follow this thread to be aprise of any last minute changes that may arise.
Thanks man :D

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Guys we have 10 Idahomies and at least 5 vegasbros coming.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
>Tune in to the SLC weekly stream
>Jekyll, who's using Fox, against X, who doesn't even live here anymore

Okay

Last edited:

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
@ clydeaker clydeaker

- What time should I be there to play in the Melee tournament? what time will it end?
A: 7 PM is when Melee sign-ups close. Try to be there earlier than that (venue opens at 6 PM). Event usually goes for three hours tops.
- What time do I need to be there in order to play in the Smash 4 tournament? What time will it end?
A: 8 PM is when sign-ups close. Try to be there earlier than that (venue opens at 6 PM). Event usually goes for about 3 hours tops.
- How much money should I bring for myself? do I pay both the venue $5 fee and the $3 Buy in fee or do I only play for one? Do I need to pay a fee for both the Melee and Smash 4 tournament? I don't plan on bringing my set up.
A: You would be paying for each thing. Venue is for everyone, where as the entry is for those who are entering that division.
- Do I need to pay for parking?
A: No. There's parking behind Crown Burger, where the laundromat is.
- Are wireless Wii U Pro controllers or Wii Classic controllers allowed or do I need to use a GameCube Controller? are wireless GameCube Wavebird controllers allowed?
A: The only controllers not allowed are the Game Pad and any modded controllers that give added functionality (e.g. macros)
- Are custom moves allowed?
A: Yes, and are the standard for tournaments currently. They are based on the custom sets that are used by Evo coming up. Feel free to ask players about them for more info.
- Is there any time to take an eating break?
A: Generally there's time between matches, or we can tell you how long it'll be until your match. Communication with your TO (Tournament Organizer) is key here. If we don't know where you are, you might be DQ'd.
- Is there anything else I should know before going?
A: Have fun! That's the most important thing. Talk with people, learn, etc. We'll try to be helpful. Respect of course goes a long way too. From how thorough you were with questions though, I don't think that'll be a problem.
Thanks.
Sadly my parents didn't want me to go at the last minuet because it's next to a bar, The place is in a quote "bad part of town", the people there are supposedly too old for me (I'm 17), I don't know anyone who's organizing it, and the people there could be online predators. Even after I showed them twitch streams, Google earth images of the area, the facebook page, and more they still wouldn't give in.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Thanks.
Sadly my parents didn't want me to go at the last minuet because it's next to a bar, The place is in a quote "bad part of town", the people there are supposedly too old for me (I'm 17), I don't know anyone who's organizing it, and the people there could be online predators. Even after I showed them twitch streams, Google earth images of the area, the facebook page, and more they still wouldn't give in.
Holy **** dude thats some control.

you could ask Tsuteto to meet them.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Control? It's parents looking out for their kid...

I mean, look at the context: "I don't know anyone who is going and it's at this location [which they know is close to a bar]." If you don't know the people, they don't know the people. There is justification for assuming the situation to be less then safe.

Last edited:

Hylian_StS

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hylian_StS
3DS FC
1762-2772-5739
Man... I am extremely dissatisfied with my performance tonight hahah, but I had a really good time over all. Just bummed with the close losses still fresh on my mind. I'll see you guys next week!

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Control? It's parents looking out for their kid...
I mean, look at the context: "I don't know anyone who is going and it's at this location [which they know is close to a bar]." If you don't know the people, they don't know the people. There is justification for assuming the situation to be less then safe.
We're in Utah. One of the areas with the lowest rates of crime in the U.S.

The whole online predators thing is laughable too. Yeah it happens, but those rates have dropped low as well.

They can go and meet the people if they are worried. My parents did. They can find a friend to come with them if they are worried.

What does it being next to a bar have to do with anything?

edit: honestly just have them meet a few of the smashers who run the events and everything will be fine.

Eh blew it out proportion a tad bit. Juts have Tim and a few other guys meet the parents.

edit 2:

So 10 people from Idaho. 5 or 6 from Logan. 10 From Southern utah. 5 from vegas maybe more.

So minimum 30 people on saturday not counting the rest of you guys

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
I agree. Have a few people meet with them. Hell. Have them come and commentate. That'd be awesome. =D

What I'm saying is that, in context, it's not really a controlling thing. It's just a safety thing, and I can understand where they are coming from. To say it's a control has connotations I disagree with.

As for the Bar, things can get really rowdy in and around them, and the general environment wouldn't be the best thing in the world for a kid. I can understand why it'd play a factor in their decision.

Reptilephantom

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
razi#494
I agree. Have a few people meet with them. Hell. Have them come and commentate. That'd be awesome. =D

What I'm saying is that, in context, it's not really a controlling thing. It's just a safety thing, and I can understand where they are coming from. To say it's a control has connotations I disagree with.

As for the Bar, things can get really rowdy in and around them, and the general environment wouldn't be the best thing in the world for a kid. I can understand why it'd play a factor in their decision.
He's 17 though thats hardly a kid. idk though not really our place to judge how people parent.

Edit: I'm trying to convince my scrubby friends from logan to come so it might be 6-8 from logan

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Logistics of age, experience, situation judgement, and maturity aside, you are correct. Not our place to judge. Just saying I understand their concern and that more could of been done to address it.

net1234

Smash Ace
@ clydeaker clydeaker i was 15 once and my parents thought u were all going to r@pe me. and they were right. but then i got good and r@ped everyone back harder

one day u shud come over and we can smash all night long ;P smashing ur bros is hard work tho remember to bring a water bottle to keep hydrated

Last edited:

Razgrizmerc

Smash Cadet
@ clydeaker clydeaker i was 15 once and my parents thought u were all going to r@pe me. and they were right. but then i got good and r@ped everyone back harder

one day u shud come over and we can smash all night long ;P smashing ur bros is hard work tho remember to bring a water bottle to keep hydrated
aren't you still only like 16?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
That's a horrible idea. We've had people that commentated in the past who don't know what they are talking about, and it wasn't pleasant...
Anyone remember the girl that was brought to one of the smashers tale who commentated? Random people shouldn't commentate and its a good example of why D:

Last edited:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Thanks.
Your parents are smart I would have plundered your butthole.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
honestly, if you think the salt lake weekly is the best way to introduce a protective parent of a smasher into the scene, i think you're kidding yourself. the salt lake weekly is like becoming the foundry of utah :-p. the provo weekly is much more sanitized in comparison :-p.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
It's fine. My parents are fine with me going to the Smash 4 tournament this Saturday
Cool. As suggested before, I would have your parents come meet Tsuteto, Nqztv and myself (we will all be there Sat). I've had plenty of parents bring their kids to Neumont (not saying you are one :p) who were worried about the whole idea of the tournament scene, of which I was able to properly explain things and they got a chance to see a good crowd in a decent place (heck, I had a kid who couldn't be over 5 last Neumont)

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Crew battles should actually go down this weekend.

Utah v. BYU rematch
Smash and burn v. RJ
Southern Utah v. The falcons (or some other mid tier). Sorry sotah, but I think to make it competitive, you should take on a limited selection of salt lake. Rocky, soapsuds, rvkys, stream fried should all be there.
Nortah vs Salt Lake - if meleeruler counts, and is there, that cold be interesting.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Crew battles should actually go down this weekend.

Utah v. BYU rematch
Smash and burn v. RJ
Southern Utah v. The falcons (or some other mid tier). Sorry sotah, but I think to make it competitive, you should take on a limited selection of salt lake. Rocky, soapsuds, rvkys, stream fried should all be there.
Nortah vs Salt Lake - if meleeruler counts, and is there, that cold be interesting.
ME from the byu crew is back in california for the summer and Stitch has work all day. so byu/uofu crew battle prob isn't going to happen

as much as we like to smack talk smash and burn, i'm pretty sure they would wreck rj, unless we're giving him a bunch of stocks :-p.

so. u. should just go against our samus'. yes, a 5 person crew from so u vs our two samus mains. they need to work on that matchup. they got wrecked prinny's (peach main) random samus :-p. prinny took like 18 stocks or something ridiculous before so u ran out of players :-p.

nortah (sinz, meleeruler, roguay, pumpinz, and one more) against salt lake (pc, jekyll, net1234, death, and one more) might actually be hype.

and idaho vs vegas pm crew battle better happen!

if we don't have enough time at the venue to do the crew battles, we can head over to the hackerspace if need be. in other words, get your rest on friday night before tourney ;-)!

RVKYS

Smash Apprentice
Sotah vs falcons plsssssss

Also falcon round robin would be cool. As long as soapsuds doesnt decide to be wizzrobe. just playing <3 soapsudz
also, this should be limited to people who actually use falcon in tournament........

Smash and burn vs rj needs to happen before I leave.

Nortah vs salt lake.....seems like r@pe to me. If nortah wants to prove me wrong though, could be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
The rankings have been updated! Please check your information and see if there is anything that needs to be fixed as this will affect your seeding at the regional this saturday!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom