• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
"what? captain falcon has different collision boxes depending on costume color?!"

welcome to utah, where we complain about costs, but want more weeklies. cause why pay $5 a week to play with 30 high level players, when i can pay $3 twice a week to play the 16 noobs who live next door ;-).
Can I get a source on the first part about falcon?

And with the second part, the last spring of rebirth smash event we had was $10 venue $10 sign up as well, and we had 0 out of state players attend. In addition, only of a fraction of the Nortah smashers came down to play, and a lot of players from the U of U, SLC, and Provo weeklies didn't go either. Even at the last Neumont we had only ONE out of state player who came and swept our bracket. Charging higher prices for weeklies does NOT encourage new players to want to play in our scene, and good Utah players are going to show up to up to events regardless of how expensive they are if they think they can win some money. Money doesn't seem to have much to do with whether or not out of state players want to come smash with us, if we want good OoS players to come to Utah we need to communicate with them more. That being said I think it's cool that a bunch of them are coming down this week.

Lastly, if we're going to be patronizing to anyone who's wondering about what's going on in our scene and tell them to read the first post, could we at least keep our info up to date? The last spring of rebirth (which happened in March) is still the main bolded event in the post, and there isn't a link to the next smashers tale's page there either. Maybe we should make a big *** bold and underlined "Look here for info on upcoming weeklies and tournaments" or something.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Lastly, if we're going to be patronizing to anyone who's wondering about what's going on in our scene and tell them to read the first post, could we at least keep our info up to date? The last spring of rebirth (which happened in March) is still the main bolded event in the post, and there isn't a link to the next smashers tale's page there either. Maybe we should make a big *** bold and underlined "Look here for info on upcoming weeklies and tournaments" or something.
Ugh... @ Tsuteto Tsuteto has caught a bad case of Z'z-itis. I request another change in first post ownership to the much more diligent @ N nqztv !

Last edited:

Dnae

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0104-2706-5564
Smasher's Tale info: https://www.facebook.com/events/421331714658203/

I'm going to highlight this in particular since i know most of you are concerned on such:

I don't mind if somebody pays for you, but I do get a little frustrated with the whole "I'll pay you later" or "I'm in a match" thing. You know the sign-up times, so sign-up in advanced. Don't have the money right then? Have someone spot you.
Im so sad i cant go :'( are these regionals every 4 months?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

And with the second part, the last spring of rebirth smash event we had was $10 venue $10 sign up as well, and we had 0 out of state players attend. In addition, only of a fraction of the Nortah smashers came down to play, and a lot of players from the U of U, SLC, and Provo weeklies didn't go either. Even at the last Neumont we had only ONE out of state player who came and swept our bracket. Charging higher prices for weeklies does NOT encourage new players to want to play in our scene, and good Utah players are going to show up to up to events regardless of how expensive they are if they think they can win some money. Money doesn't seem to have much to do with whether or not out of state players want to come smash with us, if we want good OoS players to come to Utah we need to communicate with them more. That being said I think it's cool that a bunch of them are coming down this week.

Weeklies shouldn't be the 10 and 10 thing. This isn't a weekly. I've been talking to oos players for a while about this tourney. Tim was just slow on getting the event page up. I understand money is an issue for some players. However, its a much larger incentive for us to get Vegas and Idaho to come to our events. It's an opportunity for us to improve at a much faster rate.

Because lets be frank. We are the absolute worst in the nation when it comes to smash.

Last edited:

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
When's next melee tournament (weekly or not) entry fee etc. Let me know here and I should make it... No promises

nqztv

Smash Journeyman

it was brought up in a vegas thread. here's the link. i doubt anyone would be able to use that knowledge to gain any advantage though so it's merely a trivial fact to know if you want to be pedantic.

i've been told that several nortah smashers don't like @ Tsuteto Tsuteto 's tournaments so it's no surprise that some of them didn't show up. i don't know why you say a lot of the other players didn't show up. your comments about money are a bit ill-timed since sk92--one of vegas' best players--just started talking on facebook about coming, but only if we can get like a 50+ person tournament to make it "worth it" to come. was someone being patronizing? @ Tsuteto Tsuteto has had to deal with a lot recently, so i'm sure updating the first post was pretty low on his priority list, especially considering that there are community-updated google docs with all the information someone needs linked on the pinned post of the utah smash facebook group, in the descriptions of the utah smash facebook group, in my signature, and yes, even on the first post of this thread :-p.

Ugh... @ Tsuteto Tsuteto has caught a bad case of Z'z-itis. I request another change in first post ownership to the much more diligent @ N nqztv !
i decline :-p. @ Tsuteto Tsuteto is the main t.o. and is in utah for the long haul so he should maintain ownership instead of having it change every year or something :-p.

When's next melee tournament (weekly or not) entry fee etc. Let me know here and I should make it... No promises
check out the utah smash events google doc. it is probably the most maintained consolidated list of utah smash events. despite that, it's a good idea to join the utah smash facebook group and follow this thread to be aprise of any last minute changes that may arise.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey, to be fair, I DID change it often, I was just always like a week late every time.

Also, its surprisingly hard to find good title names like every week.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Because lets be frank. We are the absolute worst in the nation when it comes to smash.
idk man wyoming, north and south dakota, montana, etc.

p sure we got them all beat

southern utah though might be the worst though maybe. we cant even get st george melee guys to learn tech skill.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Montana is better than us(based on how they did in melee and pm at gem state rumble comparatively) . Wyoming doesn't exist as far as I know.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
idk man wyoming, north and south dakota, montana, etc.

p sure we got them all beat

southern utah though might be the worst though maybe. we cant even get st george melee guys to learn tech skill.
It was hard to watch some of southern utah videos for melee.

@ Dark Ryu Dark Ryu
I'll come own you. 10 MM?

Atticus_22

Smash Cadet
In need of a dubs partner, preferably someone that can come lab one day this week. Maybe Remi? Anyone else?

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i will need a handwarmer though i havent played it in over a year

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey it looks like we might have two idaho vehicles coming down. Could anyone house the second one? (2-5 people. not sure on exact numbers yet)

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
SMASH DEN WEEKLY:

Smash 4 will be at 6 PM, followed by Melee at 8 PM. You're late, you're not in. That is all.

Spank3d

Smash Cadet
Hey it looks like we might have two idaho vehicles coming down. Could anyone house the second one? (2-5 people. not sure on exact numbers yet)
Do any of the Idaho guys need housing? I have space at my house for a few guys. I'll make a post on their Facebook page as well.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
So it's my understanding Soutah will have enough people for a crew battle at Smasher's Tale.

We'll spend all day gitting gud and give you a run for your money.

Jearbear357

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jearbear357
3DS FC
3136-6787-2727
Anyways, Hi I'm Jearbear357 and IRL name is Jeran Kilpack. I'm a smash 4 player, 15 year old, R.O.B. main, and live in Sandy, Utah. Now that school is over, I've been thinking participate in weeklys for smash 4. I don't expect to win, but just to have a good time and meet lots of utah smashers, because I thought we had no scene. If you want to add me on wii u, my NNID is "Jearbear357" and my 3ds FC is "3136-6787-2727"

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
I plan on going to the S.L,C. Weekly today with a friend or two. I've never been to a tournament before and I don't know what to expect. We mainly want to play in the Smash 4 tournament at 8:00 P.M., however I might want to play in the 6:00 P.M. Melee tournament as well just for fun.

With that said I have a few questions:
- What time should I be there to play in the Melee tournament? what time will it end?
- What time do I need to be there in order to play in the Smash 4 tournament? What time will it end?
- How much money should I bring for myself? do I pay both the venue $5 fee and the $3 Buy in fee or do I only play for one? Do I need to pay a fee for both the Melee and Smash 4 tournament? I don't plan on bringing my set up.
- Do I need to pay for parking?
- Are wireless Wii U Pro controllers or Wii Classic controllers allowed or do I need to use a GameCube Controller? are wireless GameCube Wavebird controllers allowed?
- Are custom moves allowed?
- Is there any time to take an eating break?
- Is there anything else I should know before going?

Last edited:

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
SALT LAKE LABS WEEKLY:

Schedule for tonight will be Melee at 7 PM, with Wii U at 8 PM. Venues opens at 6 PM. $5 venue, $3 entry. Venue waived if a set-up with customs (Evo sets) and Mewtwo is brought.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
@ clydeaker clydeaker
With that said I have a few questions:
- What time should I be there to play in the Melee tournament? what time will it end?
A: 7 PM is when Melee sign-ups close. Try to be there earlier than that (venue opens at 6 PM). Event usually goes for three hours tops.
- What time do I need to be there in order to play in the Smash 4 tournament? What time will it end?
A: 8 PM is when sign-ups close. Try to be there earlier than that (venue opens at 6 PM). Event usually goes for about 3 hours tops.
- How much money should I bring for myself? do I pay both the venue $5 fee and the $3 Buy in fee or do I only play for one? Do I need to pay a fee for both the Melee and Smash 4 tournament? I don't plan on bringing my set up.
A: You would be paying for each thing. Venue is for everyone, where as the entry is for those who are entering that division.
- Do I need to pay for parking?
A: No. There's parking behind Crown Burger, where the laundromat is.
- Are wireless Wii U Pro controllers or Wii Classic controllers allowed or do I need to use a GameCube Controller? are wireless GameCube Wavebird controllers allowed?
A: The only controllers not allowed are the Game Pad and any modded controllers that give added functionality (e.g. macros)
- Are custom moves allowed?
A: Yes, and are the standard for tournaments currently. They are based on the custom sets that are used by Evo coming up. Feel free to ask players about them for more info.
- Is there any time to take an eating break?
A: Generally there's time between matches, or we can tell you how long it'll be until your match. Communication with your TO (Tournament Organizer) is key here. If we don't know where you are, you might be DQ'd.
- Is there anything else I should know before going?
A: Have fun! That's the most important thing. Talk with people, learn, etc. We'll try to be helpful. Respect of course goes a long way too. From how thorough you were with questions though, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Top Bottom