• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
well, i'll take the blame on this one since they did ask me and i input it into bracket. but ya, i'll be vigilant to avoid that in the future.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
melee:
1. x
2. lada
3. death arcana

wii u is kind of a messed up story. we never finished wii u singles to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but the aguilar brothers were the top 3, so they just took the pot. but getting to that point was kind of messed up too. here's the story:

1. x and lada met up in winner's semi, and lada wanted to concede because it was getting late and he figured he would lose anyway. i honestly didn't care about this because i thought it was true and i wanted to move the tournament along anyway.
2. after not being able to convince lada to play the match, x convinced lada that he should take the loss and go through losers instead of lada. i figured i was gonna allow the last thing to happen, so why not allow them to switch since that's still one less match we have to play :-/.
3. x indeed goes through losers and ends up meeting death arcana in loser's semis and death lost. the winner of this match was guaranteed 3rd and a split of the pot. could death have beaten lada instead this night? who knows?

honestly, as the person running the bracket, i should have not let this happen, so apologize to those who participated. in the future, i think we'll have to implement a rule that states that if you concede a match, you concede the rest of your matches, and perhaps even any tournament winnings. that should prevent situations like this from happening again. if you have a better solution, i'd love to hear it as i don't really want this to happen again :-/. once again, sorry for the way things were run tonight.
So basically in both melee and wii u, the Aguilars didn't play a single one of their matches against each other to fix the bracket for themselves. Again.

Anyways a good idea for how to help grow the scene is not let Chris be a total **** and ask the new players why they came to lose their money, yell in players ears during matches, visibly piss people off, etc. No wonder not as many players return as we'd like. Just a thought.
There's nothing you can really do about this tbh. All them conceding is doing is actually providing you the courtesy of knowing that collusion is taking place. You can't stop anyone from fixing the bracket if they're winning everything and nobody is good enough to stop them. You can put your rule in place and you still can't do a dam thing about someone losing on purpose to get a better matchup or splitting the pot in grand finals, they don't have to tell you anything.

If people don't like it they have a couple options:

1. Step up and improve to the point where they're capable of beating them.

2. Waive entry fees for weeklies and only charge a venue fee. Then the tournament becomes about just having fun since there is no pot to collude over (that opens up a whole other can of worms though)

That's about it.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing you can really do about this tbh. All them conceding is doing is actually providing you the courtesy of knowing that collusion is taking place. You can't stop anyone from fixing the bracket if they're winning everything and nobody is good enough to stop them. You can put your rule in place and you still can't do a dam thing about someone losing on purpose to get a better matchup or splitting the pot in grand finals, they don't have to tell you anything.

If people don't like it they have a couple options:

1. Step up and improve to the point where they're capable of beating them.

2. Waive entry fees for weeklies and only charge a venue fee. Then the tournament becomes about just having fun since there is no pot to collude over (that opens up a whole other can of worms though)

That's about it.
Ya, i agree for the most part, but just brought it up so we can self-govern a little. I definitely don't want to encourage the behavior by doing or saying nothing about it when it happened.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
part of my dream last night had me finding out i got permab& from smashboards

wangston

Smash Lord
**** you all. Smash is a kids game grow up. Stop stealing little kids monies.

But for real though. I was smashing the other day and it wasn't fun. I realized I only enjoy smash with people I like and with people that are fun to chill with. If I'm not playing with my homies I would rather not play.

Last edited:

A4Foot1Giant

Smash Rookie
NNID
A4Foot1Gnt
does anyone know how to get 20XX to allow me to play solo? I've tried forcing it with the d-pad up input. But when I go into game it immediately ends.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
So we had the first U of U weekly today, and it was a pretty successful turnout. We plan on having the weekly every Thursday up at the U, so if you live on campus or nearby you should come check it out. (We'll add the details to the smash calendar thing)

Also, we were getting some flak for having a weekly at the U when there is already a weekly in Salt Lake, and it should be made clear that we are not trying to split the smash scene in Salt Lake City. There are a lot of people who are unable to go to the Friday weeklies at 801 Labs, whether it be due to prior weekend plans, lack of transportation, or whatever else. We wanted to make the weeklies up at the U another opportunity for smashers to get together and play once a week, and hopefully these weeklies can help expose new players to competitive smash and expand the Utah smash scene.

Also, shout out to @ Tsuteto Tsuteto and other TO's who host weeklies and tournaments for us. Even with our relatively small crowd we had some difficulties running the bracket at times, and I can only imagine how stressful it would be to run a tournament like Neumont in a timely manner. Thanks guys.

@ A4Foot1Giant A4Foot1Giant Make sure it is set to a timed mode, if you play with stocks the match ends immediately because you are the only person with stocks and therefore the winner.

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
@ N nqztv @ Tsuteto Tsuteto Can we talk about switching up the Provo Game Den weeklies to make melee the main/weekly event now instead of smash 4? The turnout the past month and a half really seems to be favoring melee.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
So we had the first U of U weekly today, and it was a pretty successful turnout. We plan on having the weekly every Thursday up at the U, so if you live on campus or nearby you should come check it out.
If it starts around 2 PM, then I can probably stop by, since I have classes on Thursdays until around then. But if it's too late, I might just rather head home.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
@ N nqztv @ Tsuteto Tsuteto Can we talk about switching up the Provo Game Den weeklies to make melee the main/weekly event now instead of smash 4? The turnout the past month and a half really seems to be favoring melee.
do you even know what you're talking about? it just had 20+ entrants last tuesday
if anything it should be smash4/melee only

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
we'll see how pm goes for this upcoming provo game den weekly. if the turnout is not on par with smash 4, then i'll consider switching it up to melee/smash 4 since the saturday weeklies will feature pm anyway.

If it starts around 2 PM, then I can probably stop by, since I have classes on Thursdays until around then. But if it's too late, I might just rather head home.
make this happen people! if not, i will host a smash fest at the hackerspace every thursday at 2pm. i'm already there every thursday night so i can probably just head up earlier in the day.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
First time on in over two months and first thing I see is Chris and his bros rigging brackets and causing more drama. Why was his ban from tourneys lifted again?

Also, if anyone cares, I'm an engaged man now. Wedding will be in June.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
First time on in over two months and first thing I see is Chris and his bros rigging brackets and causing more drama. Why was his ban from tourneys lifted again?

congrats! is that your subtle way of telling us we'll never see you again? ;-)

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
What nqztv said. It's only been twice that Melee capped out, but if significantly more people keep coming, yeah, we could see a split. But until it basically becomes 45 people from a rough estimate for just melee, it's staying around.

Damn straight I care. You're sending me an invitation bro. Or, y'know, bring it by to Smasher's Tale on March 21st at Kafeneio's. Since you should compete, or something.

And let me know when wedding is as soon as possible so I don't schedule the next Smasher's Tale on the same day. Unless you want to do a co-op wedding/tourney XD

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
And let me know when wedding is as soon as possible so I don't schedule the next Smasher's Tale on the same day. Unless you want to do a co-op wedding/tourney XD
Priest: I now pronounce you Man and Wife! You may now play Smash with the bride!

Anyway, congrats, Kenny. I hope you will stick around in our scene, though.

Last edited:

Pumpk1nz

Smash Apprentice
Also, we were getting some flak for having a weekly at the U when there is already a weekly in Salt Lake, and it should be made clear that we are not trying to split the smash scene in Salt Lake City. There are a lot of people who are unable to go to the Friday weeklies at 801 Labs, whether it be due to prior weekend plans, lack of transportation, or whatever else. We wanted to make the weeklies up at the U another opportunity for smashers to get together and play once a week, and hopefully these weeklies can help expose new players to competitive smash and expand the Utah smash scene.
There are also a lot of us who like to play more than once a week. So I don't really see why this is a problem. I didn't realize you guys were already starting this up. I'll definitely try to come by next week.

What nqztv said. It's only been twice that Melee capped out, but if significantly more people keep coming, yeah, we could see a split. But until it basically becomes 45 people from a rough estimate for just melee, it's staying around.

Damn straight I care. You're sending me an invitation bro. Or, y'know, bring it by to Smasher's Tale on March 21st at Kafeneio's. Since you should compete, or something.

If melee has the highest turnout, wouldn't it make sense to make melee the main weekly event, and then alternate sm4sh and pm? I haven't been coming to the provo weeklies lately do to geographic, and time constraints, so my input isn't really important. Just not sure I understand the reasoning. Also I had to reread that second part of the post a couple times because I thought you were calling his fiance an "it" lol.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
-Time to drop more knowledge bombs-

Did you know, our biggest numbers for melee only came after the switch to our current schedule? Its almost like sm4sh attendance is bolstering our melee attendance...

well...

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
just reminder for the salt lake weekly tonight at 353 east 200 south, salt lake. entrance is in the back of the building between crown burger and twilite lounge. i'm going to try and leave provo at around 4pm, and so i'll probably be a little after 5 to set up and stuff, so we should be ready to go at around 6pm.

last week was like a melee fest, so if you want your game to be represented at the weekly, come out and show your support. we'll have systems set up for wii u, melee, and pm.

Stitch4

Smash Cadet
do you even know what you're talking about? it just had 20+ entrants last tuesday
if anything it should be smash4/melee only
Here are the statistics for the past 2ish months with turnouts(@ Tsuteto Tsuteto correct me if I'm wrong):

Jan 27th : PM singles-11 Wii U singles-12
Feb 3rd: Melee singles-20 Wii U singles-18
Feb 10th: Was PM doubles and singles so doesn't really factor in (but the numbers were 12 for singles and 4 teams for doubles if you were wondering)
Feb 17th: Melee singles-32 Wii U singles-16
Feb 24th: PM singles-12 Wii U teams- 5 (10 entrants for those who can't do the math)
March 3rd: Melee singles-32 Wii U singles-20+ (according to @ Death Arcana Death Arcana )
Neumont: Wii U singles-32 Melee singles-67

Now I'm no stats wizard, but seeing that the number of Wii U singles entrants is always higher on weeks where there is Melee instead of PM definitely suggests a correlation. I would argue that people like melee the most, and there are some who enter both Wii U as well (as melee) those weeks even though they are mainly there for Melee. It could be that people like Melee and Wii U equally while not liking PM as much, so they enter both when they are on the same day and just don't go during PM weeks. Also, having different games start at different times could be a factor. But the raw number of melee entrants in events the past 2 months has really gone up, so that's why I brought it up.

I'm just sayin. It's food for thought.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman
just reminder for the salt lake weekly tonight at 353 east 200 south, salt lake. entrance is in the back of the building between crown burger and twilite lounge. i'm going to try and leave provo at around 4pm, and so i'll probably be a little after 5 to set up and stuff, so we should be ready to go at around 6pm.

last week was like a melee fest, so if you want your game to be represented at the weekly, come out and show your support. we'll have systems set up for wii u, melee, and pm.
Nortah melee's coming down! Pepper your angus B O Y S!!

FableSSB

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, my tag is Fable. I'm from New Jersey and I've been in Provo for a couple of days and I'm leaving tomorrow. Is anyone down to play some friendlies Saturday anytime between like 8 am to 4 pm? I can drive to SLC too and anywhere in the area.

I mainly play Melee by the way, but I'll play any game.

Last edited by a moderator:

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
How X acted tonight during both the Melee tournament and the the Sm4sh tournament was unacceptable. He was constantly badgering other players and talking smack during and in between matches, and was patronizing towards everyone I saw him play. If we want the Utah smash community to grow and for people to keep smashing, we can not allow this kind of behavior. Smash meetups should be friendly get-together's where everyone can have fun and play smash, and hostile attitudes towards everyone will only drive away new smashers and shrink the smash community.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
How X acted tonight during both the Melee tournament and the the Sm4sh tournament was unacceptable. He was constantly badgering other players and talking smack during and in between matches, and was patronizing towards everyone I saw him play. If we want the Utah smash community to grow and for people to keep smashing, we can not allow this kind of behavior. Smash meetups should be friendly get-together's where everyone can have fun and play smash, and hostile attitudes towards everyone will only drive away new smashers and shrink the smash community.
I'm really surprised that the TO would allow that to happen...

JMeisterJ

Smash Cadet
Tell me, is he one of the two brothers? I went to the provo weekly and there were these brothers who acted the same way. I mean I know trash talk is always gonna happen, but mainly (I know this will sound dumb) it's friendly trash talk, but at the end of the match they're still respectful to their opponent. And honestly I feel the same way, I wish salt, in victory or defeat, would just get people kicked out of the tourney. But that's my own opinion, I know it's not "right" but still

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
i'm not saying it didn't happen, but i didn't witness it, so i can't say if how they acted was innappropriate or not :-p.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Honestly if you have multiple reports of their behavior that should be enough to make a judgement.

Your response to this, kind of pisses me off just for the fact that people have been complaining about this for as long as I have been around and nothing still has been done to keep this from happening.

But whatever I guess. Nothing will change. Sorry for the people who have to put up with that kind of stuff.

/rant

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Tell me, is he one of the two brothers? I went to the provo weekly and there were these brothers who acted the same way. I mean I know trash talk is always gonna happen, but mainly (I know this will sound dumb) it's friendly trash talk, but at the end of the match they're still respectful to their opponent. And honestly I feel the same way, I wish salt, in victory or defeat, would just get people kicked out of the tourney. But that's my own opinion, I know it's not "right" but still
Yes, X is Chris, the Falco/sonic. He's the one you're thinking of.

Seriously, Chris is the kind of guy who loves this stuff, and he does it at smash tourneys because he knows the smash scene is mainly slightly nerdy pushover kids. (sorry it's true) he'd never do that stuff if there was any chance of someone actually doing something about it. But last time he got banned, it lasted about 9 days, so he's not worried at all.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
i'm not saying it didn't happen, but i didn't witness it, so i can't say if how they acted was innappropriate or not :-p.
I think both you and Tsuteto were busy packing up all of the setups, which is why neither of you saw anything, but everyone watching the Smash 4 grand final definitely saw it happen. It wasn't friendly smack talk you would have with your friends playing smash at your house either, he was being nasty to Sly during the entire set. I didn't say anything at the tournament last night and I really should have, but next time I am not going to just sit there while he puts other players down. It's really ****ty behavior and even if he is one of the best players in Utah how he acts towards people who are not as good as him should not be tolerated.

Myco_Sam

Smash Rookie
I heard X using discriminatory language last night. Also he was totally trash talking Project M and when I asked him why he signed up he said he did it just for the money.

Chiknai

Smash Rookie
I don't know much about X, last night was the first night Ive ever saw him. I did notice that his name was called out for a match and he was nowhere to be found. Running things on his time not the tournament time it seems. Which is disrespectful, needless to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom