• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
DOUBLE POST FOR GREAT JUSTICE

The Fight Circuit thing made me think to myself, I should update the actual rankings, so I did, and here they are: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312281

Staz/Yaz/Wang are all lower than they should be just straight up because the rankings take your top 4 scores from the past 10 tournaments, and those 3 have only been to 3 of the last 10, and are a tournament short. Also, I added in the ranking points from the excel file so you can see the point distance between people and all that. The points are out of a 400 max. Ill also be updating every 4 tournaments from now on (since the excel file has 32 tournaments in its history that works perfectly lol) so now updates should be more regular.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=312281

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Why do we go back over the past ten tourneys? No one cares how good you were 10 tourneys ago. If someone placed first in tourneys 1, 2, 3, and 4, and then doesn't place top 5 in the next six tourneys (or doesn't even show up to them), they shouldn't be anywhere near being a contestant for first place. And it would take seven tourneys before his point value would start to diminish and other people on the rankings are able to catch up to him.

Tl;dr: make it best three tourneys out of the last five, or two to three out of the last four. (I believe attendance Should be rewarded, not the other way around) The last 10 is way too many. Results from almost a year ago shouldn't have an effect on current rankings.

Edit: or just make it an average of your points over the past three or four instead of taking the best few. That would be best IMO

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I did that before, but straight up people only average coming to about 5-6 of the past 10 tournaments.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Dude, then the rankings would be WAY off.

You/Chris/Kevin/Me have been to 7 of the last 10, Mars/Samson/Jelly 4, Marco 5, DS4 8, Staz/Yaz/Wang 3.

And the average wouldnt work as well due to things like people leaving early, or just straight up having ONE bad day wrecking them. Trust me, Ive messed around with doing it other ways lik that, this way is most accurate as far as I can tell.

And Just to humor you, Ill go through the past 4 and average them, then tell you top 10

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I don't care what it is, I know it won't change much. I'm just saying in general, I don't feel the past ten tourneys is the best representation.

That's also a good reason a panel along with a Result based rankings is probably the best. That way if there is something like leaving early or whatever affects it, they can take that into consideration.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it cause I don't really care. I'm just pointing out reasons/options that might be better. Thanks for the efforts you make.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
This is what it would be:
1. X
2. Lada
3. Kenny
4. Mars
5. Dryu
6. Zz
7. DS4
8. Wang
9. Cherry
10. Yaz

11. Jelly
12. I See

Top 5 are fine, but 6 and on are where its bad. I should not be 6 lol, Wang > DS4 > Me, Cherry in top 10 is funny, and Yaz being that far down, as well as Steve not even ranked at all is bad. Like, its not too far off just straight up because almost everybody has been to the Kafeneio tournaments, but usually we dont get 25 or so people with everyone attending every time for it to work well this way.

And I respect you for giving your opinion as well as giving suggestions, but Ive already tried at least 10 different formulas, options, etc and this was the one that worked best. A couple months ago I literally put a good 8 hours into straight up number crunching to see what worked best, and this way is what seemed the best.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
How long have you ceased on using a panel system to vote on the rankings? You sort of completely ignored Kenny's point about needing a panel.
When I was running the power rankings, having a panel was kind of a pain for me to organize since people were often missing when we needed to discuss rankings (it shouldn't be that bad now, though, since almost everyone shows up to the Kafeneio), but it spelled for the best results possible. And I also agree that 10 tournaments is a bit much, especially if the results aren't skewed so that older tournaments add less to one's score.

All in all, a panel is needed to really be accurate. There's a reason why people still use the panel system today after all these years.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
You haven't even seen me play =/. I am the only one in Utah that has beaten Juptile in tournament....dont know if you played him Minato but he is beastly and got 2 rounds away from making top 32 at EVO.

Honestly I would love it if he beat me....if he does he needs to get off his *** and start playing in our scene....but I seriously doubt he will beat me.

Does X have any videos?
the real bowser
and lol Chris would probably own him

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
lol, no way chris would own him. He almost got double perfected at the Kafeneio tournament.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Smash fest at my new place on Friday, anyone down? I know Marz, DS4 and iSee wanna be there. I want it to be mega hype, with as many people as possible. I wanna get better and that only happens by playing more people. So post on here if you wanna come. Or text/call me.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Id be willing if I can get picked up. I dont get off of work on Friday until 6 though, so if its earlier than that it may not be worth it for me. Also, Im going to the doctor in a bit cuz I think I might have had strep throat since Sunday/Monday, so if it turns out I do have it and I dont feel better by Friday, I wont be there.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Lame yo. I can start it as early as noon and go as late as people are down for.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
Hell yeah Rocky! Let's get urrybody out here, yo. Wangston, you gonna be able to make it with your busy schedule? -_- [lulz]

-Mars-

Smash Hero
lol imma just start posting every vid i watch with a ginger in it and say its you and every emo vid is Devon.

Top Bottom