• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
guys i love super smash bros they're comfy and easy to wear

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
Please show me where I'm "being troll and trashing every game besides melee" because I'm pretty sure I always say every game is welcome and we even provide a Smash 4 setup even though we are melee players. We just don't pander to a community that doesn't exist and are more interested in becoming better at the game we play than hosting weeklies. Mind your own business.
can't tell if you actually took offense to a comment marked with a ';-)' or are joking, since you literally just said 'we just don't pander to a community that doesn't exist' after a post talking about that local community existing :-p.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
FiGHTYING GAMES ARE MORE SKILL THAN SMASH BROS "PARTY" GAME KIDDOS

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
To clear up confusion: Tonight for the weekly in Provo Game Den is singles for both Melee and Project M. It is a change of schedule and we'll be updating it everywhere. Starts at 6 PM for melee, 8 PM for Project M.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey did anyone at provo game den have a white controller that appeared to be slightly more busted than usual when it went home with them? Because I misplaced my controller and and ended taking one home that's new-ish. Let me know so we can swap back.

Last edited:

B-801

Smash Rookie
Hey I am new to Smashboards, but I have gotten into SSB4 and am really liking it and want to get better. Is there a resource to find local games? I don't see a ton of posts about SSB4 on here, but let's be honest I'm not ready to read 1061 pages of forum stuff.

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
Hey I am new to Smashboards, but I have gotten into SSB4 and am really liking it and want to get better. Is there a resource to find local games? I don't see a ton of posts about SSB4 on here, but let's be honest I'm not ready to read 1061 pages of forum stuff.
Where you at.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
The first post on the first page is (usually) updated with current events happening. Another place to watch is the Utah Smash Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/UtahSmash/) and the Utah Smash Events Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1alpl7HGXELk9OJZ7eXTt95QPDjNXbgJTPk6_YY4cVWw/edit#gid=0)

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
The bracket continued... Isai massacred Wes, a trend which would continue forever as far as I know – Isai may now be known for sandbagging, but he always gave it his full effort against Wes.
So Hugs just mentioned on his stream how Isai never sandbagged against him either, and I just realized Isai must've really hated fighting samus.

Sproll

Smash Apprentice
So Hugs just mentioned on his stream how Isai never sandbagged against him either, and I just realized Isai must've really hated fighting samus.
In the documentary PC Chris mentioned how he always lost to hugs. I'm guessing Samus is a hated (or frustrating?) match up for a lot of people?

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Samus is kind of an awkward weight and floatiness when it comes to comboing if you don't know what you're doing; If she doesn't go straight to the blast zone from a strong hit she's almost guaranteed to get back with bombs and the grapple. She also has the up-b out of shield which is frustrating to get hit by repeatedly, and she's got all of the missile and beam swag. Also she can crouch cancel some stronger attacks at absurd percents.

I don't have THAT much experience playing Samuses (sp?), but I think all of this combined can make Samus a real pain in the butt.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
People just need to learn to use Sheik! There have been some people *coughnetcough* complaining that I'm the only Sheik so it's hard to get training for that match-up here (especially since I don't play outside of tournaments LOL).
I don't have THAT much experience playing Samuses (sp?)
Octopus => Octopi, therefore Samus => Sami? That looks mathematically sound!

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
In the documentary PC Chris mentioned how he always lost to hugs. I'm guessing Samus is a hated (or frustrating?) match up for a lot of people?
Samus kind of breaks melee's meta, so if you use the same tactics that you would on other chars you won't succeed against samus.

NEUTRAL

For non-samus characters, The basic idea is that you want to use your movement options and whatever unique character zoning/rushdown options to gain advantage until you can get in on your opponent and punish. However, with samus she wants you to get in on her--- you give her the advantage by hitting her.

Now obviously you can actually hit samus without being punished, but compared to the rest of the cast your safe approach options are severely limited--- and generally more punishable on read.

PUNISH

Most move strings in melee aren't true combos, but they remove so many of your opponents options that they have no choice but to get hit. But when fighting samus you have to be aware of the fact that she has several combo break moves that will end or reverse your punish.

That and she's very floaty and very heavy. This means she receives little hitsun while flying too far away for her opponent to get the follow up.

RECOVERY

upb, dj, single bomb, bomb jump, tether stage, rising tether, rising tether cancel, invincible wall jump, air dodge, air dodge->zair ...
She has a bunch of options. Its hard to cover them all and get the edgeguard against her.

Again, usually when your opponent is offstage they've lost so many options that they have no choice but take your punish. This is less so with samus.

EDGEGUARD

Samus can punish all but the sweetest of sweetspots from the stage due to the fact she has hitboxes that go underneath the ledge.

That and she has projectile kill moves unlike almost every character in the game.

SCIENCE OUT

Last edited:

Aeriden

Smash Apprentice
It's all good. But yeah it all depends on where you're at. weeklies for smash for aren't as common as PM and the like but there is a few.

If you stick with this forum we help each other out by getting to tournaments and stuff.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
It's all good. But yeah it all depends on where you're at. weeklies for smash for aren't as common as PM and the like but there is a few.

If you stick with this forum we help each other out by getting to tournaments and stuff.
ummm... smash 4 is much more common than pm :-p.

Blues17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blues17
3DS FC
3179-6103-8458
also @ Blues17 Blues17 i c u lurkin will you make it to smash club tomorrow or do you have work again
I should be able to make it, sorry I didn't respond to this when I was lurkin', I'm a busy dude.

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
if you can make it out to provo tonight, come check out wallcon at byu. we will be hosting a free smash 4 tournament. the tournament will start at 7:15 sharp. please register online and come early if you plan on attending. thanks!

Top Bottom