• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Won't be able to make the tourney tomorrow. I'm stranded in logan without a car
I wish more tournaments were closer to Logan/USU. I'd probably actually start attending them then. A $10 venue fee + $10/per event may have been easy enough to swallow alone, but throw gas and travel time into the mix? No way.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
PM is a cool game and I think it helps new people get into melee (like me)
People think it's because Nintendo won't sponsor the event if PM is run, this seems dangerously like Nintendo not working with or supporting the competitive community - not that this means that they'll ban melee or anything, but, it's still something.
I don't get how people could be happy about this, it's a hype smash game that's bigger right now than some of the other entries in the series.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
They'll never support PM and anything Nintendo sponsored pretty much cant even mention it.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
I don't get how people could be happy about this, it's a hype smash game that's bigger right now than some of the other entries in the series.
I'm not happy because PM's not at Apex. I'm rather indifferent to the decision, actually. I'm amused because of everyone's reactions.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
My problem with PM is all the community problems it causes, it causes too many splits in the community (as if Melee v Brawl wasnt enough of one already), and then things like this happen where its obvious a company wont sponsor an event where their product is hacked but part of the community flips out anyway. Honestly, people are whining about bs like 'oh I thought Nintendo loved us but now they wont even get behind the competitive community' when theyve literally done nothing but cater to us lately, just because everyone wants to circle jerk a Mod.

To put it as blunt and blatant as possible, we'd be better off if PM never happened, it never solved any problems in the scene and only caused a bigger divide, made events take longer, and now is a huge disruptive factor with trying to get Nintendo to support the competitive scene.

tl;dr Just play Melee if you want to wavedash.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
My problem with PM is all the community problems it causes, it causes too many splits in the community (as if Melee v Brawl wasnt enough of one already), and then things like this happen where its obvious a company wont sponsor an event where their product is hacked but part of the community flips out anyway. Honestly, people are whining about bs like 'oh I thought Nintendo loved us but now they wont even get behind the competitive community' when theyve literally done nothing but cater to us lately, just because everyone wants to circle jerk a Mod.

To put it as blunt and blatant as possible, we'd be better off if PM never happened, it never solved any problems in the scene and only caused a bigger divide, made events take longer, and now is a huge disruptive factor with trying to get Nintendo to support the competitive scene.

Obviously, I'm going to disagree with this. The goal of Project M is not to "fix" brawl or solve any problems with the competitive scene. It's simply to make an awesome, competitively-oriented game that is fun to play. I highly doubt it's causing problems with Nintendo supporting the competitive scene. If supporting the scene is going to turn out profitable for them, they'll support it. That's how businesses work. Project M is not a factor in that.

When I joined the PMDT last summer, I was completely surprised by the sheer amount of work that had been put into the game (even for the casual aspects like alt costumes or All Star Versus). They were really working their hardest to provide the best experience possible for the players. Saying that "we'd be better off if PM never happened" is actually pretty disrespectful to the hard work that both the developers and players have put into the game over the years.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I am loving, and yes, I do mean loving, the insane backlash. Lot of people worried, lot of people angry, all of it making me satisfied.

EDIT: reading this reddit thread, so much backlash. I'm laughing for real right now, guys. So much salt and pure, undistilled anger flowing. I don't want to offend people who purely play PM, but this is a perfect storm of pure, unconstrained emotions. Holy calamity, this is fun to read.
Sounds exactly like something Kotomine would say. XD

Reptilephantom

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
razi#494
I wish more tournaments were closer to Logan/USU. I'd probably actually start attending them then. A $10 venue fee + $10/per event may have been easy enough to swallow alone, but throw gas and travel time into the mix? No way.
Yeah I think usu is starting to have weeklies soon? I'm not living in logan right now I just came to visit my parents and my car broke.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
It shows that people are passionate about the game, at least.
People can be passionate about something and not overreact.

If the Apex team thinks that the removal of PM is important, then who are we to judge? It's not as if PM is never having any more tournaments.

Well, unless the big N wants to issue a C&D.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
People can be passionate about something and not overreact.

If the Apex team thinks that the removal of PM is important, then who are we to judge? It's not as if PM is never having any more tournaments.

Well, unless the big N wants to issue a C&D.
When a large amount people are passionate about something, there will be those who overreact. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's just something that is unfortunately bound to happen.

ZeroKarasu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroKarasu
3DS FC
3351-4458-3302
Sounds exactly like something Kotomine would say. XD
Rejoice. Your wish shall finally be granted.

When a large amount people are passionate about something, there will be those who overreact. Not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's just something that is unfortunately bound to happen.
Yes. I quite agree.

net1234

Smash Ace

but now theres one more event for me to clean up. and EVERYONES a scrub

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
there will be a side event of PM guaranteed

dont even fret, boyz

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Neumont Smash Jam - A Year of Smash Events Posted:

FB: here
Smash Boards: here

It's happening on the 22nd and is set to be my last tournament as the TO. Hope to see everyone there!

PLEASE NOTE ALL STARTING TIMES ARE PUSHED BACK AN HOUR TO ACCOMMODATE FOR MELEE DOUBLES!

Last edited:

devo_

Smash Apprentice
Saying that "we'd be better off if PM never happened" is actually pretty disrespectful to the hard work that both the developers and players have put into the game over the years.
Yeah that's EXTREMELY disrespectful. Kinda made my blood boil a little bit.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

There are going to be splits in communities no matter what. It doesn't even matter if there isn't anything to split on. There will always be something for fighting over. That's how competitive scenes work. They always have that problem.

PM making events take longer is a funny one. Because Smash 4 and Brawl are slow as **** and go to time so much. This is not a valid point against having it as a game in a tournament.

The amount of work that has been put into PM is immense. It's extremely impressive.

It didn't solve any problems? It made it easier for people to get into the competitive scene. It was extremely attractive to high level and low level players alike. It's a well made game that is more balanced than melee. (IMO.) It has an extremely diverse cast and it can actually be updated to fix things. That's fantastic.

And you know whats the best part? They aren't charging you anything to do this. They are working off of an existing model and doing what they feel will be the most healthy thing for the competitive scene.

Also, the whole Nintendo has done nothing but cater to us is a bull**** part. There were so many events and campaigns that were started by the community to get Nintendo to support events like Evo. Previously there were issues where they couldn't even stream the damn game because of Nintendo. Yes, things are good right now but that is because they are about to release a new game. This favoritism from Nintendo won't last.

While I completely understand and respect that Nintendo wouldn't want to sponsor an event with a modded game I think they are taking it the wrong way. Rather than push it away they should use it to their advantage. A few major examples of modded games that are then used by the original company as a tool aren't hard to find. Look at DayZ. I really didn't like the original game but I found that extremely fun and ended up buying the game so I could continue to play it.

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Looks like ZZ is here to complain about PM for another few pages.

Well the tourney was fun although took crazy long. Hopefully that'll change with no more brawl (even though that sucks).

Nice job to Devon beating X again. Definitely took the title for the best brawl player.

Good playing to Dagoomba. All I'm worried about is learning to play against Diddy for now lol.

Also sucks what happened with Ebo not getting put in the bracket after waiting all night.

Really excited for smash4 to keep going.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
woops messed up the easiest bbcode command ever lets leave my mistake there for everyone to see my attempt at an unfunny joke

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Also my car is going to Idaho again.

Me
Net
Chuckwaffles
TheGinge(?)
and 1 more space open.

Also the power of friendship was strong with BlueWaffles.

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm ready for winter to be here already despite the bad weather that may or may not come.

Reptilephantom

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
razi#494
Also my car is going to Idaho again.

Me
Net
Chuckwaffles
TheGinge(?)
and 1 more space open.

Also the power of friendship was strong with BlueWaffles.
Alright i'll go if you are willing to take me. How much is gas/venue?

Unless someone that's decent wants to go instead i'm just a placeholder

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Big thing you need to be able to get to logan on friday.

Top Bottom