• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the Up B as an aerial (not for knockback)

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Has anyone implemented this into their game yet? I find that early in the game against floaters, a good alternative to u-cargo->uair juggle (as you would against fastfallers) is u-cargo -> aerial up B.
The tricky part is the aerial up B needs to be spaced properly so that the floater isn't hit with the initial knockback, and you also have to hold left or right so that the floater gets sucked into the most hits. This combo does at least ~20% IIRC.
I figure it would work as a good anti-aerial approach, like Ken's QCB+HK/Hurricane Kick from Street Fighter. Some ways I apply it is run towards the enemy, and when they jump I press up on the control stick and immediately after I press B, while holding the direction I was running.
I think this use of the up+b has potential, but some things to consider are the lagtime/freefall after the attack, platform interruption, and most importantly -- DI. I was able to consistently land ucargo -> aerial up+b against a Roy today, but I doubt he ever DI'd to get out of it. Does anyone have experience with landing a full up+b with different opponent DI??

Sorry if this has been discussed -- most if not all of the Up B threads I see discuss its usage for knockback.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I use it all the time to edgeguard and against edgeguarders (ie right after you grab the ledge, jump up and use it). It goes through almost anything.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Bum edgegaurded me with it once. It was a double bair while i was trying to come back, then he kept falling back and upB to kill me and still get back to the stage -_- kinda sucked getting killed like that

so basically throw them off the stage then
Bair->Bair->UpB (you have to hit with the wind up part since it has the most knockback)

WFL

Smash Journeyman
so basically throw them off the stage then
Bair->Bair->UpB (you have to hit with the wind up part since it has the most knockback)
UpB edgeguard is very useful, but only really works after the opponent used his second jump.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I use it all the time to edgeguard
Bum edgegaurded me with it once. (you have to hit with the wind up part since it has the most knockback)
UpB edgeguard is very useful.
This is what I mean. Every up b topic discusses the move for its knockback purposes. I'm talking about hitting every hit EXCEPT for the windup as an aerial - you know, the whole tornado effect with multiple hits. It racks up about 20 damage and controls where your opponent will land, meaning you can bring them closer to the edge or something like that.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
and against edgeguarders (ie right after you grab the ledge, jump up and use it). It goes through almost anything.
Often when I do this, it does what you describe rather than striking with the first hit. Sometimes I carry him with me, and when we land I can immediately do another spin, and THAT one hits him with the big hit.

I'm not so sure about using it out of a throw as part of a combo... but I've never tried it.

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
If you up b from the ledge, and you manage to get the opponent in the whole duration, it sometimes combo into an up b (ground sweetspot). It's pro.

jamminjohn

Smash Ace
The problem is that there is little stun at the end and you're screwed until you hit the ground. This is true with many B moves with many characters.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
The problem is that there is little stun at the end and you're screwed until you hit the ground. This is true with many B moves with many characters.
From what little experience I have with practicing this combo, I can say that an efficient way of reducing this lag would be to have the up+b aerial travel -- that way most of the duration of the up B starts and ends low to the ground, since the horizontal movement prohibited any vertical ascension.

pkmvodka said:
If you up b from the ledge, and you manage to get the opponent in the whole duration, it sometimes combo into an up b (ground sweetspot). It's pro.[\QUOTE]

I've done this once when recovering on Yoshi's Story vs GAW (note: not heavy/fastfaller) and canceled the lag of the aerial up B by sliding off the outermost platform, then fastfalling and hitting him with the windup of a grounded up B. My opponents response: "WOAH.. UP B TO UP B.. THE UNSEEN COMBO" o_O

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
The only time I ever get in the whirlwind hits is after ledgehopping, or if they're crouch cancelling.

If you want the hits, you're gonna have to avoid hitting with the first swings of his arms. Which is the first time he spins his arm front and then back, because these have some knockback in them, so space accordingly.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
i see what you mean. I don't think its so great. too much lag at the end.

Funny how this move is always talked about when discussing edge-guarding tho. :D

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Well, you just have to make sure to not get hit before you land or you'll lose any charged up Punch you have :[

Top Bottom