• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Portable DVD Player to Play Smash

John2k4

The End of an Era
You can look for USB-based dongles that are used for capturing those composite outputs...the one I have is an old Pinnacle DVC-80. As for getting the video to show up, I have not tried to use my monitor as a TV so to speak, but I believe that VLC should be able to support it via the Streaming option in its menu. Might have to configure it a bit.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
You can look for USB-based dongles that are used for capturing those composite outputs...the one I have is an old Pinnacle DVC-80. As for getting the video to show up, I have not tried to use my monitor as a TV so to speak, but I believe that VLC should be able to support it via the Streaming option in its menu. Might have to configure it a bit.
Yeah I have a dazzle capture card and Pinnacle Studio 10, but I figured since using rca cables with a lcd tv causes horrible lag, then it would do the same through my dazzle card. So I would need some type of component cable adaptor to usb? And thanks for the advice on the streaming option for vlc, I wouldn't have known how to use it lol

I was wondering if anybody has acutally done it before?

John2k4

The End of an Era
I'll see if I can get something workable out of the Dazzle USB device I have...

John2k4

The End of an Era
Sorry, been quite busy. I'll test the USB thing tonight. :/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm pretty sure capture cards are intended to capture, not play. They all have a significant amount of lag on the preview.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Playing it on a laptop will be next to impossible. The only way to do so would be with either an emulator (Laptops tend be be very bad at this) or a TV card (Laptops never have these).

John2k4

The End of an Era
Yeah, from testing, the USB thing produced far too much lag (~2 seconds) for it to be an option.
Look around for some really little LCD TVs/those portable DVD players. I have an LCD screen that's a little more than a half inch thick, and has a 6x4 inch screen.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Ok well a crt tv is out of the question for me and it looks like everyone agrees that using a laptop is impossible. I knew that playing with a capture device would produce ridiculous lag. I have a dazzle. I was just wondering if anyone figured out how to use one with a component adapter.

So with those two options out, I am gonna change my question:

Does anyone know of a portable dvd player or tiny lcd tv (small enough to easily fit in a backpack, so no bigger than 10 inches) that has component inputs? Has anyone actually tried this with their own device?

This would be extremely helpful to me as my job gives me around 30 hours of down time and I could practice smash (with minimal lag, though not as perfect as crt)

EDIT: Thanks for your help with my original question guys =]

John2k4

The End of an Era
For quite a while, I played my N64 on this tiny screen...

Great little screen, image was still sharp.
It was a promo thing from a local bank, so i have no clue where you'd find one though. :/

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Wouldn't I need one with component inputs (not composite a/v like red white yellow) that are red blue and green?

Playing on lcds in the past with composites has been ridiculously laggy for me

Im gonna try going to best buy to find a model, and then buy a used one on ebay

NTA

Smash Lord
Well I was using one program that didn't come with my capture card and I played all my matches on the preview fullscreen xD

No lag at all >_>

For quite a while, I played my N64 on this tiny screen...

Great little screen, image was still sharp.
It was a promo thing from a local bank, so i have no clue where you'd find one though. :/
Is that gameboy real?

John2k4

The End of an Era
The no lag thing depends on PCI vs USB transfer rate, and the processing power of the computer..

-

Yes, it's a real, original Gameboy. ;)

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
The no lag thing depends on PCI vs USB transfer rate, and the processing power of the computer..

-

Yes, it's a real, original Gameboy. ;)
I decided against trying to figure out a way to stream smash onto my computer. So that means I have three options
1. Use a portable dvd player
2. Use a gc mobile screen
3. Use an emulator

The problem is I don't know if any of these options have lag (I want absolutely no lag, 60fps). And also I don't know how I'd hook up a gc controller for the emulator or how to set up the dvd player correctly (none that I've seen have component input)

Would a component to hdmi adapter work with gc on a portable dvd playyer????

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I can do this with a switch I have. It allows several SD cables to be plugged into one unit for TVs that have contested input ports. Different buttons on top correspond to the different things plugged in. Anyway, I plug the cables from the Wii into one of the inputs on the switch, then plug the cables from the DVD player in the output slot. Then, I just flick a switch on the player to switch it to input mode and it all works flawlessly.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
I can do this with a switch I have. It allows several SD cables to be plugged into one unit for TVs that have contested input ports. Different buttons on top correspond to the different things plugged in. Anyway, I plug the cables from the Wii into one of the inputs on the switch, then plug the cables from the DVD player in the output slot. Then, I just flick a switch on the player to switch it to input mode and it all works flawlessly.
What is the brand/model of the switch? And im guessing by "DVD player" you mean a portable one with a screen?

I just don't understand how it wouldn't lag using the a/v jacks (red white yellow) on a lcd screen. thought you need component cables to minimize lag (which I have but there's no slot for them on any portable dvd players I've seen)

Top Bottom