• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using "move-through" platforms to create a new gameplay mechanic.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I did a quick search and didn't find something on this already, so here goes.

I had this neat idea for using the stage builder and I was wondering if anyone else had this idea too.

Basically, I want to use the "move-through" platforms (the ones you tap down to fall through and can jump up through). to create multiple vertical levels on a stage. Think of it like a few final destinations stacked on top of each other, but all of them except for the bottom one are those move-through platforms.

It'd look something like this:

With a stage setup like that, players could (theoretically) fluently move up and down through the platforms. This would create a unique kind of mindgame when players can stand at different elevations but still be free to attack each other. Think about how players would go about zone control. Hopefully, it could even increase the pace of the game if platforms are positioned close enough together.

If anything, this kind of stage design would simply create a unique gameplay mechanic and let brawlers play something different.

Thoughts?

KAFOR

Smash Apprentice
I actually enjoy your idea. Seems to bring about a good time. The use of some character's final smashes wouldn't prosper on this type of stage. Examples being Lucas, Donkey Kong, Fox etc.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'm a little confused on this. Would the platforms be at a height that most attacks that reach above would hit?
I'm sure we'd need to test the actual height to find a sweet spot, but I'm thinking of a height similar to the platforms on pokemon stadium, fountain of dreams, etc, so that up-A moves and smashes can reach the platform above an attacking player.

I actually enjoy your idea. Seems to bring about a good time. The use of some character's final smashes wouldn't prosper on this type of stage. Examples being Lucas, Donkey Kong, Fox etc.
That's definitely something I hadn't thought about. I'm still in the melee mindset. We'd either need to play this style of stage without smash balls for balance or alter the stage in a way that allows characters like fox to use their final smashes. Hopefully these smashes can actually move through thin platforms.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Funny, this was perhaps my very first stage idea. There is a sweetspot for platforms, it's like the platforms for DL64. 4 Levels might be a bit much though. I would put 3 levels so it doesn't feel as though you're chasing your opponent.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
shinnok, this would be a custom stage from the map editor.

Funny, this was perhaps my very first stage idea. There is a sweetspot for platforms, it's like the platforms for DL64. 4 Levels might be a bit much though. I would put 3 levels so it doesn't feel as though you're chasing your opponent.
I fear that when placing geometry, we'll be forced to place things on a snap-to grid. We may not be able to place these platforms at the perfect sweet spots. In the end, that alone may dictate how many platforms we can place.

I definitely agree though, I don't want it to feel like you're constantly chasing your opponent.

Williampettysan

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I never thought of this idea, you inspired me to make this stage on the stage builer. :D Poor Lucas though it will never be fair for him with this stage. XD

AnimalCrosser

Smash Cadet
I assume PK Starstorm goes through levels. And the only bit of Fox's FS that would be unfair would be the attacks. If Fox can barrel roll in midair, this level would actually benefit his FS.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I wish we could make something like that for Melee, with various breaks in the fall through platforms scattered throughout. Platform canceling dairs into a 4 part stair step combo with Falco on that stage would be amazing.

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
May not work for some of the smaller characters. notice that each square on the grid is about the size of mario, so really. you'd have about a crate's distance (roughly) Between the platforms, and for some small characters (Like Pichu) It'd be hard to reach that high.

Great Idea though.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Huh. Know what? This is a good idea. It'd certainly be interesting...

...I'd make this, with two Ultimate Chimeras on each platform, which would be five platforms, and spaced about as high as Bowser is tall.

O_O

2azn4u

Smash Rookie
Can fox's FS move down through platforms? If not, he'd be completely trapped up top while his opponents hid down below.

Top Bottom