• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using King Dedede's new grabs.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Things have changed since the brawl days so I would like to know how D3 mains are utilizing his grabs now? What follow ups have you discovered? Even though the chain grab is gone, are there any grab resets you're aware of? What do you use his throws for now?

I find dthrow to be good for setting up a nair at low percentage or a fair or uair at higher percentage. Sadly, my experience only really comes from For Glory, so I can't speak on whether or not input lag would have made a difference.

shlemon

Smash Rookie
You can actually combo from dthrow to bair at low-medium if you buffer a turn in between the moves. The timing is pretty tight so it would work better on wii u without lag. Bair will knowck them futher and autocancels so they have much worse follow up potential.

At mid percents uthrow can move somebody nicely into a uair. This is good for mix up because people can start vectoring up or airdodging out of an expected dthrow-fair combo. Uair has a decent chance of outlasting an airdodge and an up vector wont affect your hit.

Once percents are high you really want to start throwing sideways off-stage so you can exploit DeDeDe's excellent edge guarding.

Last edited:

Karthage

Smash Cadet
The only good throws are fthrow for kills and dthrow for follow ups.

Bthrow is worse than fthrow but it's still what you have to use when your back is to the ledge and you want a kill. Ot knocks them so high vertically that they can leisurely fall back to the stage so it's just a setup for aerial edgeguarding. Fthrow has a much lower trajectory.

Dthrow -> Nair -> fast fall -> shield -> get attacked by aerial -> shield grab -> dthrow -> Nair -> fast fall -> shield -> get attacked -> shield grab works on probably the bottom 70% of players for easy wins.

Last edited:

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
The only good throws are fthrow for kills and dthrow for follow ups.

Bthrow is worse than fthrow but it's still what you have to use when your back is to the ledge and you want a kill. Ot knocks them so high vertically that they can leisurely fall back to the stage so it's just a setup for aerial edgeguarding. Fthrow has a much lower trajectory.

Dthrow -> Nair -> fast fall -> shield -> get attacked by aerial -> shield grab -> dthrow -> Nair -> fast fall -> shield -> get attacked -> shield grab works on probably the bottom 70% of players for easy wins.
Very true and good strategy. However, when you face stiffer competition, you're going to want to roll w/ D-Throw to F-Air, B-Air (at lower percentages or heavyweights) and U-Air (at higher percentages or lightweights).

Throws are never really going to KO w/ D3, but F-Throw would be the one to go with. Literally an average weighted character would have to be around 200%+ and near the edge of the stage in order to die by F-Throw.

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
bthrow is much more powerful than fthrow.
In terms of damage, yes, but generally if you're trying to rack up damage you'll stick w/ D-Throw for a followup. F-Throw is still the superior throw for distance (KO'ing ability, even though it's nearly impossible to KO strictly off of D3's throws).

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
sorry i just don't want misinformation spreading. in training mode a mario cpu died from the centre of final destination from fthrow at 263% (before damage from the throw was added in). died from bthrow at 205%.
of course the exact damage it kills depends on the character survivability, vectoring, stage positioning and the rage effect (which training mode ignores) etc.
knowing which throws kill is useful information. there are going to be situations when dedede won't be able to land a proper kill move and the opponent lives to high damages. a grab is much easier to land than a smash attack.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
The B throw and F throw only really seem good for getting the opponents off the stage and setting up edge guards. The dthrow is great for following up into anything if you can read your opponent. Dthrow to SH fair seems unsafe on hit at low percentage so I've been going for dthrow to bair because SH bair auto cancels.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I've been able to chain grab with down throw into Uair consistently. Bowser and other larger chargers are the easiest to do it on and it actually works as a meteor smash too. I was able to use it to Meteor Sheik off the edge. You have to Uair and then pull down on the joystick like 3 times, there is a sweet spot in there that I haven't figured out yet but again it seems to work much easier on larger chargers.

Nick Fury

Smash Rookie
NNID
InstanceOfFury
In my experience with D3 in both games which isn't very much, sorry, It seems D-throw is his most viable option still, because you can string it into so many different things such like all of his aerials, then there is a chance on another followup with a grab or a well spaced f-tilt. I also found back throw fairly useful to get them out of my face so I can open up with more aerials or a gordo to mix things up a bit, hope this helps.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I use dthrow > SH nair at lower percentages a lot. Comes out fast, covers a lot of options (seriously, D3 is fat, good luck trying to beat out that frog splash), and I can get a pretty safe follow-up afterwards if I fastfall it. If you really wanna be ballsy, you can string a couple of nairs together after the throw, but they're usually out of hitstun for the first by the time that happens. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really feeling it (:4shulk:).

Dthrow > fair at lower percentages is...no. Unless you back off after the throw to try and space it out the best you can, chances are you're gonna eat an aerial to the face right after you connect with fair. And even if you fastfall fair it doesn't autocancel, so you're not safe either way. Maybe at middling percents, stringing them together...? That seems to be the most reliable way.

Dthrow > uair is awesome, and it works reliably even to high-ish percentages. It's almost as spacious as nair, almost covers as many options (challenging D3 while he's below you with this move is a bad idea), and has a lot of potential for follow-ups. It's also still possible to drag down your opponents and reset them to a neutral state. Be careful, as your opponent can pretty much do whatever they want out of this, including hit you right back. But if you can make the read, though, and drag them to the ground...let's just say we can still chaingrab.

Dthrow > RAR bair is pretty good, especially as a mixup at the edge. At lower percentages, using a fresh bair can send 'em back far enough to where we can effectively start our edgeguarding game.

Smooth Criminal

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Dthrow > fair at lower percentages is...no. Unless you back off after the throw to try and space it out the best you can, chances are you're gonna eat an aerial to the face right after you connect with fair. And even if you fastfall fair it doesn't autocancel, so you're not safe either way. Maybe at middling percents, stringing them together...? That seems to be the most reliable way.
I have no idea what you're smoking, but FAir out of DThrow has literally never gotten me hit from an aerial afterwards. What'd you use FAir for ideally is for certain characters, you can DThrow > FAir near the ledge and follow-up with a NAir.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm on some good ****, apparently.

I guess I'll try that, thanks. But it seems like every time, from the middle of the stage at low percentages, I get bonked by my opponent for doing that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
I have the same impression and always use Nair until about 20%, because the follow ups are better and you don't have any landing lag.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
You should stick with NAir for most situations since it's faster and does the same damage, yeah.

For FAir, usually against characters with larger hurtboxes, you can follow up with a quick NAir, but you need a lot of room to do it hence you gotta be near the edge. I haven't done it in quite a bit but I believe it still works on 1.0.4.

Last edited:

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow to chain grab is and should be the only thing ddd players should be using except at high %s or against sheik and greninja. I've chained so many people up to 60%+ from 0. I play majority asians at 92% win ratio since patch.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea what you're smoking, but FAir out of DThrow has literally never gotten me hit from an aerial afterwards. What'd you use FAir for ideally is for certain characters, you can DThrow > FAir near the ledge and follow-up with a NAir.
You should get pegged after a fair at low % unless your opponent doesn't know ddd. You have way too many lag frames and at low % your opponent gets no knock back so they will peg you. The fix is nair right street fair as you di away a tad. Or just chain grab with uair as you should be doing.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
You should get pegged after a fair at low % unless your opponent doesn't know ddd. You have way too many lag frames and at low % your opponent gets no knock back so they will peg you. The fix is nair right street fair as you di away a tad. Or just chain grab with uair as you should be doing.
Read:
You should stick with NAir for most situations since it's faster and does the same damage, yeah.

For FAir, usually against characters with larger hurtboxes, you can follow up with a quick NAir, but you need a lot of room to do it hence you gotta be near the edge. I haven't done it in quite a bit but I believe it still works on 1.0.4.

Top Bottom