• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Guardian Orbitars

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
You can troll Ike hardly with Guardian Orbitars.
I honestly don't remember but I think it stops their Quickdrawn.
Don't reflect, but stop the momentum if well spaced.

But that's important to know:
If the opponent Ike's don't uses the Aether perfectly under the ledge, you can push the move farther from the ledge and he falls to the death.Already kill Ike this way in 3 different matches.
You can try even try to use in Ike under the stage... it's possible to get the kill, but it's possible to be killed if you mess with it.

L.Mac cannot recovery against a well spaced Guardian Orbitar, with Up+B or SideB.

About trees(Villager) and Guardian Orbitars, go with faith.
It's beautifull.(Remember to active the G.Orbitars a bit earlier because the tree hitbox appears too fast.)

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
Not at all. They're trying to attack pit half the time when the oribits have some sort of armour around most of Pit. Little mac ones are the most legit but things like the 2st ZSS was player mistakes. not sweet spotting the ledge+why not Down b? Side b? (if its possible . was a quick glimps)

busken

Smash Ace
Not at all. They're trying to attack pit half the time when the oribits have some sort of armour around most of Pit. Little mac ones are the most legit but things like the 2st ZSS was player mistakes. not sweet spotting the ledge+why not Down b? Side b? (if its possible . was a quick glimps)
What are you referring to actually? I just post this because this shows the viability of orbitors.

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Its also good against the villager if he use his side b for recovery.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Is it effective against shiek or any of the other teleporters? Can you use to this to push the links out of range? This looks like it would gimp the fox fires, especially because you have plenty of time to react. I could see this gimping are own up b as well because you also react and just jump on the ledge with the shields up like a scumbag.

On that note, if you literally just occupy the ledge space while having your down b active, wouldn't you deny entry to anyone and anything. Mind you would be dropping down, so you can't hold it forever, but you could defiantly guard it for a few seconds which should be more than enough. I wouldn't waste the technique, if it works, when the opponent still has a jump, unless you have enough to recover and get the trump using your up b, but landing this against certain recovery moves that require contact to end would be devastating. Which is why I don't think it would work because if it did, why doesn't everyone, nairo included do it???

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
it doesn't work like that sadly, you'd have to catch them at an angle they shouldn't be at in the first place if you're trying to gimp recoveries like that, and most of the time it only pushes them slightly away but they still get the ledge. Greninja on the other hand can do stuff like that

NNID
evenet2013
3DS FC
1005-8775-7263
Haha, not bad. I've only ever managed to edge-guard the idiot CPU Villager who try to recovery with their Lloid Rocket with those Orbitars. I guess I might want to start practicing for the occasional battle against Ness.

I think it's worth noting that Dark Pit's custom move, Impact Orbitars, are also very good at edge guarding off stage. You only get a brief moment, but they have enough knockback to gimp basically anyone. Unfortunately the Knocback doesn't scale, so it can't be used as a KO move on-stage, the damage is unimpressive, and you lose a valuable reflector, but it's still very interesting to play around with. I've gimped a CPU Pikachu at around 20% with that custom before twice in the same battle.
After being reflected, Villager's rocket counts as the reflector's projectile, so when it explodes, Villager gets hit, and can still up-b. That is, if the explosion doesn't kill you first.

VOKER101

Smash Rookie
Can Pit/Dark Pit's orbiters even be used for edge guarding? I've seen videos of people doing this successfully but that was back in 2014 so I'm thinking that maybe Nintendo nerfed it?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Don't believe it's been altered, but most prefer to just use attacks. Probably the biggest contributer is how ineffective it is against most top tiers.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I've only seen them used effectively against me as Kirby.
Then again, Final Cutter is gimped by anything
Nevertheless, they can be used for edgeguarding, just not the best option most of the time.

Last edited:

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
I've been meaning to sit down and experiment with whose recoveries can be effectively gimped by Orbitars. Off the top of my head:

Ness's UpB (Most obvious)
Ike's UpB
Kirby's UpB (Jumping down there and just foostooling him is almost a more viable option)
Little Mac's UpB (If he mis-spaces it and doesn't sweetspot the ledge in time, it will push him just out of reach)
And pretty much anybody who screws up their recovery and misses the sweetspot can just be pushed away from the ledge

On a sidenote, I find Orbitars a good way to push the opponent offstage when they wait for you close to the ledge. It's really good at forcing a ledgeguard position in those situations.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I've been meaning to sit down and experiment with whose recoveries can be effectively gimped by Orbitars. Off the top of my head:

Ness's UpB (Most obvious)
Ike's UpB
Kirby's UpB (Jumping down there and just foostooling him is almost a more viable option)
Little Mac's UpB (If he mis-spaces it and doesn't sweetspot the ledge in time, it will push him just out of reach)
And pretty much anybody who screws up their recovery and misses the sweetspot can just be pushed away from the ledge

On a sidenote, I find Orbitars a good way to push the opponent offstage when they wait for you close to the ledge. It's really good at forcing a ledgeguard position in those situations.
Little Mac's SideB is gimped by orbitars too.

Works really well on Marth, Lucina and Shulk as well. D3, Charizard, Link and Toon Link are a little harder but possible.

Believe it or not you can also gimp Shiek like this but its really hard. You have to push her away just as she vanishes this alters her trajectory and she could possibly miss the ledge. of course this is really situational as well and could put you in a bad position.

You can also gimp greninja by reflecting hydropump to push him away, in certain situations.

Last edited:

Pagliacci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-7505-3619
Can Pit/Dark Pit's orbiters even be used for edge guarding? I've seen videos of people doing this successfully but that was back in 2014 so I'm thinking that maybe Nintendo nerfed it?
yes! I've edge guarded quite a few times with Pit's orbitars. I can post a few videos if you'd like.

dguy24

Smash Rookie
NNID
dguy2411
3DS FC
1607-2976-3178
I main Pit and I've never considered the possibility of using the Orbitars for ledge guarding or anything other than their intended uses of reflecting and/or keeping people away (I rarely use them, most of the time my instinct is to spot dodge when i see a projectile, I guess I should work on it).

I guess you learn something new every day.

VOKER101

Smash Rookie
I main Pit and I've never considered the possibility of using the Orbitars for ledge guarding or anything other than their intended uses of reflecting and/or keeping people away (I rarely use them, most of the time my instinct is to spot dodge when i see a projectile, I guess I should work on it).

I guess you learn something new every day.
Yeah I've seen a compilation of this guy doing it on YT

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I was just going to make a thread about this. We need a list of recoveries we can gimp if the opponent fails to sweetspot. And where to stand. I find myself getting hit by Air Slash from below when i think i can gimp.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I was just going to make a thread about this. We need a list of recoveries we can gimp if the opponent fails to sweetspot. And where to stand. I find myself getting hit by Air Slash from below when i think i can gimp.
Some recoveries can hit us at awkward angles, like Shulk and Marth's. The solution is to come in with the GOs earlier, so we come in like this:
(:4darkpit:)
~~~~~ /:4marth:

(:4darkpit:) :4marth:

Instead of like this:
~~~~~--:4marth:

(:teeth:\:4marth:)

If you catch my drift. :bluejump:

Last edited:

VOKER101

Smash Rookie
Some recoveries can hit us at awkward angles, like Shulk and Marth's. The solution is to come in with the GOs earlier, so we come in like this:

Instead of like this:

VOKER101

Smash Rookie

Instead of like this:

Damn,that was creative!

iKo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! New poster/longtime lurker/Pit main here. I was wondering if anyone has found any new or interesting things to do with the guardian orbitars (or custom variants) over the last few months. I read through this thread and have watched a lot of Pit tourney videos and beyond the obvious uses (Ness gimping, combating camp heavy Villagers, etc.) I'm not finding a reason to ever press down B.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Hey guys! New poster/longtime lurker/Pit main here. I was wondering if anyone has found any new or interesting things to do with the guardian orbitars (or custom variants) over the last few months. I read through this thread and have watched a lot of Pit tourney videos and beyond the obvious uses (Ness gimping, combating camp heavy Villagers, etc.) I'm not finding a reason to ever press down B.
Landing safely e,g instead of using a predictsble air dodge or wasting your jumps just down b to the ground, preferrably to the ledge.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
What is the move's viability in countering ledge getups? I'm just doing some random practicing with computer ZSS and I'm kind of seeing how if you start and end GO's as quickly as possible, they can space out roll getups, set up USmash on jump getups, and protect you from attacking getups (though for counterattacking purposes, the timing may be strict). They don't move the opponent at all on standing getups though, so that leaves you easily punished.

Might be a good mixup for predictable opponents.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
What is the move's viability in countering ledge getups? I'm just doing some random practicing with computer ZSS and I'm kind of seeing how if you start and end GO's as quickly as possible, they can space out roll getups, set up USmash on jump getups, and protect you from attacking getups (though for counterattacking purposes, the timing may be strict). They don't move the opponent at all on standing getups though, so that leaves you easily punished.

Might be a good mixup for predictable opponents.
What would using the GO's accomplish though?....

Imo best options for pit covering ledge get up are
DSmash----normal+roll+attack
Fsmash----normal+roll+attack
nair----jump+normal+attack
Ftilt----jump+normal+attack (probably our best ledge covring option I wonder if it can cover rolls on some chars)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What would using the GO's accomplish though?....

Imo best options for pit covering ledge get up are
DSmash----normal+roll+attack
Fsmash----normal+roll+attack
nair----jump+normal+attack
Ftilt----jump+normal+attack (probably our best ledge covring option I wonder if it can cover rolls on some chars)
Ehhh on Ftilt. It's hitbox is pretty much garbage... Top sword is nonexistent. I use Dair myself.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Ehhh on Ftilt. It's hitbox is pretty much garbage... Top sword is nonexistent. I use Dair myself.
Ftilt lasts 4 frames though, It's great for catching people out of the normal get up and netting kills around 110% 'safely'.

As for jump....
http://youtu.be/N6BWCLhQinI
we should be able to catch that.

Oh yeah dair is amazing too, I should have put it down.

edit: Whoops, probably shoulda put creds where needed. I pretty much copy pasta'd that middle bit from a guy called blue beast (I think...) @ Dr. Snakes Dr. Snakes is that u?

Last edited:
Top Bottom