• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using dsmash as an alternative edgeguard?

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
I have been noticing when i play people nowadays that instead of sweetspotting the edge in fear of a stomp or reverse uair, they try to go over my head for some reason. I was wondering what my fellow ganons out there think about using the first hit of the dsmash as a sort of suedo-spike. It has pretty good KB and even if I hit with both hits of it, it sets up nicely. info plawks. :)

yinn_skitchy

Smash Cadet
face the other way when you're edgeguarding

that way you can stomp on them and when they come above you hit them with the end of the uair
:D

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
face the other way when you're edgeguarding

that way you can stomp on them and when they come above you hit them with the end of the uair
:D
i know thats yinn, but thanks for your advice. im talking about using the down smash to hurl them back out off of the stage when they try to go above me.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
If they go over you, wait till they land and punish them with whatever you want. I don't see how they could get over you, an uair should do the trick to keep them out to an edge.

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
do it when your just sandbagging but when it matters reverse u-air because ledge guarding with d-smash isnt practical.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
trust me you guys, i know about uair and the rest of ganons air game, im just askin if this can be used as an acceptable edgeguard

DippnDots

Feral Youth
well, I'm pretty sure that if you know where they're going to be a stomp would be better than a down-smash, or even an up-smash if you can connect both hits. I wouldn't use the down-smash, personally.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
I prefer ftilt over dsmash in terms of edgeguarding.
One thing about dsmash is that it sends people a pretty high trajectory, so if it doesn't kill them outright, they are going to recover back, sometimes even closer to the stage, depending on how they DI.
Admittedly, I've never this out, but I like to stick to ftilt if i'm not edgeguarding with an aerial. From all the angles, it covers a good degree of range.

KIngGerudo

Smash Lord
thank you everyone for the advice, looks like i get to stick with tilts and aerials. maybe if something comes up, this might change.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I use the D-smash to spook them from recovering from the ledge. Kinda scares my opponents sometimes, but it's more of a "see-what-they're-gonna-do-next" kind of move. It works nice on opponents who roll up, and is quick enough to where you can chase after someone who jumps up.

I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time, but keep it in your back pocket.

EazyP

Smash Ace
I did win a round in a money match against a Jiggly by accidentally doing dsmash, which sucked him into the wall of FD and got me a stage spike

Good times

Top Bottom