• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Air Slash?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I found it to be one of his practical kill moves, even when using no Monado Art. Only problem is that people can escape the second hit and get a free punish on you. I tried using it as an out-of-shield option, but it only hit once. Are there any good combos or setups to using it?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Its inaccurate on the ground. You want to jump and then air slash. It'll set up the second hit correctly then.

To go in depth:
Shield jump-cancel air slash. Should air slash pretty much immediately as you leave the ground. They'll get knocked up and you can perform the second hit. If you just air-slash without the jump the first hit will knock them up without allowing follow up.

Kills jiggles no DI @ 118 no rage center F.D. dont know if AS has a sweet spot. From what I hear fresh moves are 5% stronger in Vs modes then training so should be less %.

Last edited:
It's great only when I also use it for edgeguarding. That's the only way I can actually land a KO with it

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Has anyone looked into the custom variants? I particularly like 2.

Also the KB angle is weird on this move, I was recovering and did the second air slash, as the sword swipe went behind me, it knocked the other dude into the blast zone.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Its inaccurate on the ground. You want to jump and then air slash. It'll set up the second hit correctly then.

To go in depth:
Shield jump-cancel air slash. Should air slash pretty much immediately as you leave the ground. They'll get knocked up and you can perform the second hit. If you just air-slash without the jump the first hit will knock them up without allowing follow up.

Kills jiggles no DI @ 118 no rage center F.D. dont know if AS has a sweet spot. From what I hear fresh moves are 5% stronger in Vs modes then training so should be less %.
Neat! Might need to rebind my jump button for this!

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

Also the KB angle is weird on this move, I was recovering and did the second air slash, as the sword swipe went behind me, it knocked the other dude into the blast zone.
Thats Advancing Air strike right?
I like the idea of it but Im worried about my Recovery, There has been enough times where all that gets me to the ledge is that second strikes jump. I don't Air Slash OOS enough (yet) to sacrifice that. As well while I believe it has more knock up, does that really make up for the higher altitude at which AS1 strikes them from.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Air Slash is one of my favorite new finishers. I like to leap off stage and use it after launching an opponent toward an upper corner (it's not as obvious as an attempted fair). With Smash active it'll kill anyone 100%+ with the second hit. Takes practice to make sure you don't go so far you can't float back. Jump can be useful in that regard if you managed to score a % on the enemy higher than 120.

This is my experience with default. If I could get practice with the Mighty Air Slash in, I'm sure I could kill with it at even lower %.

Last edited:

Yeah. This also applies for b-air and f-air

Specifically with f-air, you just need to hit the latter part of f-air. Like, when the blade blur goes under you

B-air, you really really up close to the opponent

Oh about air slash, doesn't that make you go a bit lower on the second slash?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
dont know if AS has a sweet spot.
I feel AS does have a very close-ranged sweet-spot, because of this moment from Trela's match at 1:08:
<Deals 8%
<AS normally deals 5%, or 4% depending if the very tip of the slash hits
<AS doesn't launch a character that way from the first hit

Last edited:

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
Air slash I find isn't really a combo move, but it works as a good punish move. I use for recovery (of course) but if people are trying to edge guard you, you can punish them. It works even better to edge guard people as you cover a huge vertical distance. Combine this with JUMP monado to take up almost the entire vertical space of the stage

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Air slash I find isn't really a combo move, but it works as a good punish move. I use for recovery (of course) but if people are trying to edge guard you, you can punish them. It works even better to edge guard people as you cover a huge vertical distance. Combine this with JUMP monado to take up almost the entire vertical space of the stage
...I forgot Jump affects AS's vertical range.

[evil edgeguarding ideas intensify]

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
thank you air slash can indeed be used as a punish but it takes practice to execute it perfectly its alot of work but hey shulk isnt exactly a beginner friendly character now is he

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
thank you air slash can indeed be used as a punish but it takes practice to execute it perfectly its alot of work but hey shulk isnt exactly a beginner friendly character now is he
Definitely not. Shulk is not for beginner players who just got Smash 4 & never played Super Smash Brothers, but the adjustment to playing him can be done. Air Slash doesn't have intangibility, but the follow-up 2nd slash makes punishment greater.

Also for everyone, Air Slash used on the ground has a hit-box that can hit below Shulk in front of him. Noticing that in a match watching SilentDo0m's Shulk do it made me very happy to know.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Definitely not. Shulk is not for beginner players who just got Smash 4 & never played Super Smash Brothers, but the adjustment to playing him can be done. Air Slash doesn't have intangibility, but the follow-up 2nd slash makes punishment greater.

Also for everyone, Air Slash used on the ground has a hit-box that can hit below Shulk in front of him. Noticing that in a match watching SilentDo0m's Shulk do it made me very happy to know.
yep shulk takes practice just like any other character does but the practice can really pay off what makes him harder is his monado arts if you dont know which color art represents that may complicate things but again practice makes perfect

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Aw yiss. This hitbox has tripped up countless foes in For Glory who thought the edge was a safe zone. Plus it helps when people think they know the range of my slash when I rush in with it. I love the followup potential of air slash. You can utilt into it and get sick launches.

The more I play Shulk, the more amazed I am by his edgeguarding power. He has range, mobility and jump height that few characters rival/surpass.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Air Slash can really get some great surprise attacks against enemies in the air. Especially useful when using Jump. Instantly start hitting them with it while they're way up in the air, and it's not like it's something they can react to. You gotta be pretty sure you'll hit though as it's punishable as heck. But once you do it once or twice, they'll be quite scared of being in the space above you and you can use that to your advantage.

It's also great for people who attempt to chase you off stage. If they jump a distance after you and you air-dodge past them, you can then use an Air Slash facing away from the stage to punish them pretty hard while you recover. Can net you some fairly early KOs like that, too.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's also great for people who attempt to chase you off stage. If they jump a distance after you and you air-dodge past them, you can then use an Air Slash facing away from the stage to punish them pretty hard while you recover. Can net you some fairly early KOs like that, too.
This point on the moment will depend how far out we are when doing the Reverse Air Slash to punish. If Jump or Speed is the active Art, then I worry less because of their air speed to help me move laterally towards the ledge. If it were any other Art especially Shield, then I'd be a lot more careful with doing this.

Ofc if we're implying that we're really close the the stage & can easily land on it or move toward grabbing the ledge while being airborne, then it's no trouble at all.

EDIT:
And if say Customs were involved, then Mighty Air Slash is a lot more dependant on Jump or Speed to augment the falling special movement due to MAS having worse lateral movement falling down. Advancing Air Slash is very risky in doing this as we'd have to wait for them to be above stage level or borderline near the ledge & not still off-stage.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
It's situational, but I mean mostly in situations when using the Air Slash offensively will be your recovery at the same time. Like say you're falling diagonally down towards the stage ledge. Someone will chase out at you with F-air, or try to spike, but you air dodge past them and end up close below the ledge. You can then reverse Air Slash and hit them as you recover. It's just a really neat move to attack while recovering if you get the chance due to its massive sweeping hitbox. It can also work pretty well if you're high up in the air and can fall down onto the ledge afterwards, or if they try to stage spike you.

In the former situation falling below the ledge, Mighty Air Slash would work nicely with its increased vertical range, since you can delay the Up-B more to time it better as they're coming back on stage behind you. Advancing Air Slash just won't work off stage unless it's super high up, but theoretically it can be a very risky but rewarding game-ender if you use it off stage for the last kill since it has high side-KO potential :p

Oh, and that earlier video where Air Slash launched really high with just the first hit, I'm really not sure what happened. I tried to replicate it, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of special hitbox. From the video, I'm going to guess that maybe it could have been a weird wallbounce where AS hit them point blank on a wall, but it's hard to tell.

Top Bottom