• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses of D-Tilt?

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
People have been saying that D-Tilt is crucial for lucina and marth, but i don't know how to utilize it. Can someone explain what it's use is for? Also, i've mained marth before in melee, and people say that lucina is the new marth and marth is bad in this game, so idk..

Master Raven

Smash Master
They are both good, in a way Marth is better when you are spacing him properly thanks to higher knockback, but I think they're roughly on equal footing at top level especially given the human element.

Dtilt is great when you make use of its IASA frames because you can follow up with other moves very quickly depending on how they react to it, and for that reason it's also a safe poke since you can retreat quickly.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
honestly d-tilt is pretty bad on lucina from my experience. i think you're better off using a dash-pivot f-tilt or a jab in it's place. dtilt doesn't really combo or string into anything useful like ftilt and jabs do.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
At higher percents you can use dtilt to push someone offstage and then see if you can't meteor your opponent with a Dair. You can also use it after a foxtrot sometimes.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ftilt and jab dont set up for combos either. Dtilt is one of the best pokes in the smash series. You will not go far vs strong players without it

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Ftilt and jab dont set up for combos either. Dtilt is one of the best pokes in the smash series. You will not go far vs strong players without it
Could you elaborate on the use of dtilt in common situations, and what makes it valuable? The OP seems interested in 'why' it's important rather than 'if' it is, and I don't use it much myself so I'm probably missing something here too.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's a strong poking tool that leads directly into an option tree for Lucina that is pivotal for her to control opponents and must be mastered if you want to take her to a high level of play. I will just copy paste directly from a thread I made back in my brawl playing days.

D-tilt Trap

Might as well start with a bang. Marth's best trap and the second best trap in the game after MK's d-tilt trap. As you may or may not know Marth's d-tilt comes out in 7 frames and has IASA frames. IASA stands for Interruptible As Soon As. This means he can cancel the ending lag of the d-tilt when it reaches a specefic point in it's animation. For this attack that point is when Marth retracts his arm. The exact frame that you cancel at is 21. Normally the D-tilt animation last 47 frames. So when you cancel it the recovery time is reduced by half. This makes it an amazing shield pressure tool and one of the best pokes in the game. The d-tilt trap abuses these qualities for an almost airtight trap that an opponent is hard pressed to get out of. Doing it is very simple as well.

All you have to do to start the trap is space a d-tilt as a poke. The trap is initiated when your opponent shields or spotdodges. After that Marth has options to either punish any action his opponent takes or at the very least he will be unharmed and in a position to reset the trap and/or stay in control of the match. Now I will list each action an opponent may take and the appropriate counter.

Opponent rolls behind Marth - Wait for the roll and punish with Dancing Blade.

Opponent spot dodged the D-tilt - Punish with Dancing Blade when they come out of the dodge.

Opponent SH's back - Run towards your opponent and do a well spaced SH fair or just run into Dancing blade. You can also just walk towards them and reset the trap when they land or block and punish if they tried to attack when you walked towards them.

Opponent rolls away - Walk towards them and reset the trap.

It's clear that the two best options are roll away and SH back. Most seasoned veterans will roll away since it's the safest and fastest option. But if you expect that you don't even have to wait for the roll. You could just d-tilt then cancel into a full run and then grab or Dancing Blade while they are vulnerable from the roll. Your opponent could also try to shield drop and attack you or jump from the shield and attack, but these options are very risky and easily punishable by Marth. Good players will not attempt to do this. R.O.B and DK might try to hit you after a blocked d-tilt but if you space it at the tip, and watch for their reaction you can block their attack and retaliate. Projectiles users may also try to SH back or shield drop into their projectile, but again, it's a matter of being able to make split second reactions to your opponent's actions. Needless to say it will take alot of practice to fully master the d-tilt trap, but it is worth the effort.
Most of this is still applicable, but Dancing Blade is now 3 frames slower, coming out at frame 7 and rolls are faster so that means your reactions need to be infallible. Practice up guys.

D-tilt is also just great space control. Get used to walking alot with Lucina. She and Marth have the fastest walk speed in the game. They can even walk faster then several characters can run at top speed!! You can do ANY action out of a walk and you have all your options available. This is befitting of their playstyle. They do not just run in sword swinging. They are precise, graceful and deadly. Using walking and empty short hops to space yourself then poke intelligently with d-tilt, jab, SH Nair. Lucina is dominant in footsies. Footsies is the war to control mid range. The space that exists at about 1 to 2 character lengths between both combatants. By exercising dominance at this range she can begin to push her opponent back onto the ledge for ledge traps and net huge damage or a stock. Alternatively she can set up air trap situations with Dancing Blade punishes using the up version. But it all begins with her strong footsies which d-tilt is a key component of.

Last edited:

Alaya

Smash Cadet
It's a strong poking tool that leads directly into an option tree for Lucina that is pivotal for her to control opponents and must be mastered if you want to take her to a high level of play. I will just copy paste directly from a thread I made back in my brawl playing days.

Most of this is still applicable, but Dancing Blade is now 3 frames slower, coming out at frame 7 and rolls are faster so that means your reactions need to be infallible. Practice up guys.

D-tilt is also just great space control. Get used to walking alot with Lucina. She and Marth have the fastest walk speed in the game. They can even walk faster then several characters can run at top speed!! You can do ANY action out of a walk and you have all your options available. This is befitting of their playstyle. They do not just run in sword swinging. They are precise, graceful and deadly. Using walking and empty short hops to space yourself then poke intelligently with d-tilt, jab, SH Nair. Lucina is dominant in footsies. Footsies is the war to control mid range. The space that exists at about 1 to 2 character lengths between both combatants. By exercising dominance at this range she can begin to push her opponent back onto the ledge for ledge traps and net huge damage or a stock. Alternatively she can set up air trap situations with Dancing Blade punishes using the up version. But it all begins with her strong footsies which d-tilt is a key component of.
Wow, that's a lot to take in, but it sounds like that technique would really separate the level of Lucina players.

Top Bottom