• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uses for pivots

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
For no particular reason, I've been getting very consistent at pivots recently and I'd like to know what I could do with them in-game. I'm sure pivot grab has situational utility, but it's hard for me to imagine when I would use it. If anyone has any suggestions or links to parts of videos where a puff successfully implements pivoting I'd really appreciate it.

Traivlin

Smash Rookie
Pivots aren't that useful for Jigglypuff, because she/he has such a short dash.
The only advantage I can think of, is that if there was a situation where you had to dash to your opponent and you wouldn't have enough time to wavedash rest, which takes 20 frames, or the first hitbox of your up tilt wouldn't reach the hurtbox of your opponent (like a Falco that's turning his back to you), you could use pivot instead of aerials.

Jump + fair takes 12 frames, pivot u-tilt takes 13 frames, pivot upsmash takes 11 frames, jc grab takes 11 frames.

Another advantage would be that upsmash covers behind Jigglypuff first, so if you pivot, upsmash would hit up to 3 frames earlier.

It's probably best used as a mixup, mainly because it's something that people don't really expect.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Pivot grab is amazingly useful and should be done pretty frequently.
Puff's grab range is actually pretty good, and should be abused accordingly.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking maybe use pivot f smash in some situations where people use wavedash back f smash. In general, it seems like it could be useful for punishing predictable vertical approaches like falco dairs and sheik running off platforms and fairing.
Pivot grab is amazingly useful and should be done pretty frequently.
Puff's grab range is actually pretty good, and should be abused accordingly.
I figured it was probably pretty good and I use it sometimes just to ensure I can get the grab off low % up airs or up tilts, but I'm sure there are plenty of good opportunities to use it that I'm missing. If you know any particular examples of sets where a puff used this well, I'd appreciate it. I was thinking I should watch some s0ft sets since his ground movement is so good and he tends to be good at finding grabs.

Massive

Smash Champion
Hbox uses them all the time. You will see him land behind someone and pivot grab them (occasionally jacking up the timing and doing a dash grab).

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I like pivot jumps because they keep your orientation ambiguous when you're dash dancing. Combine that with shield stops and you can keep your opponent guessing where you're going to put your hitboxes and where you're vulnerable.

Top Bottom