• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Username origins thread

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Yeah I know Chugga. I haven't seen many of his videos though, which of course makes sense since I had no idea where his name came from.
Him and StephenPlays are my most watched channels.

PalPlays: my name is Paladin and I do LPs. Also since they are completely clean because I'm your friend, I shortened it to "Pal." Also when I have friends on the channel I move the s so it is "PalsPlay."

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Slightly funny story with mine. The first website I ever signed up and became a user for was FanFiction.Net. I had recently discovered the fanfic community, and thought, "Hey! I've been doing this for years, and I didn't even know it was a thing!" So I wanted a clever nickname. I initially tried Writer's Block to kind of denote a kind of corner for my literary musings. Only the name was already taken. Suddenly, my five year old sister came up to me and asked "Why don't you try Writer's Blah?" So I did. And to my surprise, I was suddenly signed up with a username. In the end though, I thought it was kind of fitting because back in the day, when I used to write, I always wrote a little more than I should, so my stories just went on and on...kinda like this post. I've kind of grown to love the nickname, and I use it for all Internet websites which require a virtual moniker.

electricSprites

Smash Rookie
NNID
alphryd
3DS FC
2294-4781-6234
I have the most boring story about mine.

I have a window right in front of me, and I was making an account for something (can't remember what). A thunderstorm was still going on, and lighting struck a ways away from my house, and I was drinking a can of Sprite. I just thought "My favourite element, mixed with my favourite drink, it's perfect!"

ofna01

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1134-9609-8501
The thing is, I actually kind of inherited this username from my father.
He used to race RC professionally, and always went by the name Ofna on forums, which is a brand of parts he used.
Take that name, and the date I started using the internet, 01, and I've got this.
Seems like alot of people tend to misspell it, though.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Typo of a team name from Dark Reign 2, Sprawlers. Also used to use the tag Ave Caesar, so might end up switching my tag to Ave. For now I go to tournaments as Sprawler, since it rolls off the tongue better.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Severe weather fascinates and frightens me.
When I was in middle school, I was into meteorology.
Straight-line winds from downbursts are amazing.
Downdrafts play a major roll in many severe weather phenomenon, and it doesn't sound too geeky; that's why I chose it.

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
No shocker here.

My name is Jay (Jason, actually, but I like Jay more) and I get called a killjoy a lot when I play Smash with my friend Nick because I'm "too good" (as if).

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer

I don't know why, but I'm so completely fascinated with username stories.

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
When I was in high school, there was an anime convention at a community college about 25minutes away from where I live. Some friends and I decided to go, and they had a video game room where I saw some smash friendlies going on. I wanted to join in, but wanted a new tag to use. So I wondered around the convention contemplating tags. On the wall was a typical college flier, something along the lines of "Find your life's path, enroll for X class today". There was nothing special about the paper, but something about "path" stood out. I like paths, they lead somewhere. They might twist and turn or be straight and narrow, they might fork, and perhaps they might be seemingly without direction, but they always lead somewhere. I liked what a path could symbolize. So I decided on it. I ended up forgetting about the game room and not actually participating in any matches, but I kept the name. I had made another SB's account years back, and took Path, and forgot about it. Couldn't remember the password/email or anything for the life of me, or even find the account, but the name still appeared as taken. So I added on the O__o face. And so I ended up with PATH O__o.

Last edited:

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
I've been a fan of the Kirby franchise since forever. I main Kirby in every Smash iteration (Melee too, but I also play Marth a little.)

That being said, some of my previous usernames on different sites would always incorporate a Kirby power. ElectricKirby, SleepingKirby, BoomKirby, RadioKirby, etc. I ended up stopping on WinterKirby, and I don't really remember why I stopped. But I've used WinterKirby for pretty much everything now, save for YT and Skype.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I go by PrINc3. Theres a long story about this, Ill try to make it short.

Everyone at my school and parents think I act like a Prince... I really dont know what I do to make them think this, im pretty humble and I never demand things, but w/e. So a lot of people call me Prince Marcus. But when I started playing Brawl casually, there were only 5 letters for the name. So I went by PrNcE. I liked the alternating case. Something happened and I wanted the E to turn into a 3 to look even cooler. So my tag was PrNc3. I started using that tag for everything, and I was actually going to go by the 5 letter PrNc3 officially. Then people started calling me Prnc, as if the 3 wasnt an E. So I added the I to make PrINc3.

My SB name Gohan also has a story.

Im not a huge DBZ fan, but Ive watched the whole series before. Gohan was a very strong character at a young age, he had so much potential... and possibly could've became the strongest character in the franchise (If you watched the show, you might agree). I always liked Gohan because of that. When I started competitive smash, I made this SB account with the name Gohan because I thought we were relatable. I havent been playing this game for long, only about 10 months, yet I can go even with a lot of people... also when I get really passionate about the character, I get that much better. So maybe after another year of training in the "HTC", I can beat whoever people think is unbeatable (Cell) lmao. Its also why I like aMSa, the melee Yoshi player, cuz I feel he relates the closest to me.

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Mine is my first initial (L for Louis) and the first 3 letters of my last name. Sometimes I forget how creative I am.

fmblz

Smash Rookie
I usually use some variation of my name for online accounts, but I wanted something a little more creative with my smash name. Been playing for years but never went to competitions until a year or so ago and that made me try and think up of something. I had recently seen the Robot Chicken where they parody GI Joe as they get their new member who has trouble thinking of a code name (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3dg9VURMU). The whole "Fumbles, it was always Fumbles," just sort of came to me when I was thinking of a name, and it seemed appropriate since I was playing Doc at the time. Dr Fumbles was shortened to fmblz for character-space purposes and it has been that since. It is pretty cool to have something only associated with smash imo

Aidoony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sheikah2
About a 5 years ago I was playing a online game called runescape and the first three letters of my name are Aid and I like the sound of doony so Aidoony

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Rabbit+Attack=Rabbattack
Sometimes I use 444. Got it from my Minecraft account. People on my favorite server would call me Rabb, they'll never change me. I'll never let them do that. Never.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Rabbit+Attack=Rabbattack
Sometimes I use 444. Got it from my Minecraft account. People on my favorite server would call me Rabb, they'll never change me. I'll never let them do that. Never.
I forgot. I was drawing my prediction of Chespins evolutions. Rabbattack was the second stage, a rabbit with trousers/overalls. Bandillion was the final stage, a badger with a mask;.Bandit. Then I used that name for minecraft and everything else.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
My SB name Gohan also has a story.

Im not a huge DBZ fan, but Ive watched the whole series before. Gohan was a very strong character at a young age, he had so much potential... and possibly could've became the strongest character in the franchise (If you watched the show, you might agree). I always liked Gohan because of that. When I started competitive smash, I made this SB account with the name Gohan because I thought we were relatable. I havent been playing this game for long, only about 10 months, yet I can go even with a lot of people... also when I get really passionate about the character, I get that much better. So maybe after another year of training in the "HTC", I can beat whoever people think is unbeatable (Cell) lmao. Its also why I like aMSa, the melee Yoshi player, cuz I feel he relates the closest to me.
I have a confession to make.

I actually always get slightly angry whenever I see anyone using Gohan as a name.

It's the only name that my brother calls me to this day. He's been calling me it ever since we watched dragon ball Z together because of my fast learning along with getting more fierce when angry (Of course that is when I was younger)

It's a nickname I've had ever since I was 3 years old.

It's selfish but for some reason I just really like to claim that as my name lol.
I stopped using it on everything about 5 years ago though.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I just read almost every story on here. Props, bit.

In all seriousness, the first game I ever played was Earthbound. So instinctively as a little kid picking up SSBM I ignored the small knowledge I possessed of skill level and dove face first into Ness. I grew to know him really well, which led to me taking the game more seriously. At which point I mained yet another low tier, Mewtwo. It was actually my brother who pointed out that I had chosen the two psychically skilled characters out of the entire roster.

The group we smashed with, which consisted of some locals and my brother and I's friends, just started calling me Psychic. The alteration from that nickname came as a result of my young age. (I was still very young then, and am now still younger than the majority of comp. smashers) An aspiring smasher who at the time posted on the forums under the tag The Rage (That one's a winner) was smashing with my "group" and I. He was, I believe a junior in Highschool. Whatever the age, my point is that it would be embarrassing being beaten by someone much younger than him. I just had to make that dream come true. After getting pwned by a kid using a bottom tier character, he was quite frustrated. He began a rant focused around my age and lack of knowledge, at one point attempting to insult me by calling me, Psykid. I certainly owned up to that one.

Years later, I'm using his "insult" as a tag, and I don't think I've seen the Smash Tag, The Rage since.

Twewy

Smash Lord
It's the abbreviation of my favorite game. I loved it so much I used it to sign up for everything else I sign up for.

I am one with the game.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Wow, so many homestucks >.<

So . . . I'm a Tink main, obviously. Aaaand Tinker in the Kitchen is a song in The Wheel of Time. Tinkers are basically travelling hippies/gypsies who mend pots and do odd jobs for money. Buuut, they're rumored to seduce your daughters and wives, and the song is about a Tinker who gets hired to fix pots for some guy but ends up sleeping with his wife whilst he's away. That really speaks to me.

So hide yo kids, hide yo wife,and hide yo husbands, cuz' Tink goin' round boopin' everyone real sexy-like.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654

So . . . I'm a Tink main, obviously. Aaaand Tinker in the Kitchen is a song in The Wheel of Time. Tinkers are basically travelling hippies/gypsies who mend pots and do odd jobs for money. Buuut, they're rumored to seduce your daughters and wives, and the song is about a Tinker who gets hired to fix pots for some guy but ends up sleeping with his wife whilst he's away. That really speaks to me.

So hide yo kids, hide yo wife,and hide yo husbands, cuz' Tink goin' round boopin' everyone real sexy-like.
Correction, it's "Waifus" and "Husbandos".

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Correction, it's "Waifus" and "Husbandos".

So . . . Boku wa Tink main, obviously. Toooooo Tinker in the Kitchen uta in The Wheel of Time desu. Tinker-tachi wa basically travelling hippies/gypsies who mend pots to do odd jobs for yen. Demo demo, karera wa rumored to seduce anata no musumes to wiaifus, to uta desu about a Tinker who gets hired to fix pots for ano hito demo ends up sleeping with kare no waifu whilst kare away desu. That really speaks to boku.

Sou-da . . . hide anata no aka-chans, hide temee no waifus, to hide kimi no husbandos, cuz' Tink goin' round boopin' minna-san real ecchi-like.
FTFY

SteezyWonder

Smash Rookie
I feel like I've gone through sooo many usernames really. Seeing that I've only been using this one for about 3 days, I'm not 100% sure it will stick with me. Therefore I'll start off with the first, Rickyricarto.

Back in the day when I started playing runescape (around 3rd grade) I was over at a girls house (my crush at the time). She showed me the game and sat around while I made an account. I had no idea what to set for my name, so her older brother walks in the room and says to use Rickyricardo, just replace the "d" with a "t". And there you have it... all of a sudden, many I Love Lucy puns and downright rude spin off's of my name later... a new alias was born!

For a short while I went by Revy (hence my profile picture) because I was absolutely obsessed with Black Lagoon. The problem was, the name just felt so unoriginal to me. That's when I thought back to my skateboarding days. Back then my friend and I always used to screw around, making stupid remarks etc. He somehow came up with the name SteezyMcclean for himself (I still don't get it). My name became SteezyWonder because I skated like I was blind, and it was a miracle if I landed a trick. I guess the name kind of relates to my smash career so far. I play like I'm blind sometimes, and it feels like a miracle when I take a game on someone!

Anyways, that's it for my boring stories! Carry on with the thread.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Mines is based off of the protagonist from Gravity Rush/Daze. She's called Kat in the US and Kitten in Japan. I also like sweets. So I mixed Kat and Kitten and came up with KatKit, which is a play on KitKat, the candy. Cute, right?

I would have just used Kat but it was already taken. In hindsight, I prefer KatKit. It's alittle more original.

Seith

Smash Cadet
I needed a name for my fursona, and at the time I just so happened to be playing Dark Souls.
While playing Dark Souls I eventually met the boss, Seath the Scaleless. And I saw him and thought, "Dang he looks really cool."
So I decided to make that my fursona's name but at the time I couldn't remember if it was spelled with an A or an I. I ended up using I.
And now the name has just stuck with me.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
back in like 2008 or 2009 i was trying to register for some forum i found, and i was trying to type in Crazy but my little old self typed Crazc instead. I liked it and have used it ever since.

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
I used the username login "jmmotive" for years. I don't remember where it came from. When I would play online games with voice chat, people would try to pronounce it as "Jim Motive" or "Jimmy Motive". I ran with it, but shortened it to JimiMotive, after one of my favorite musicians Jimi Hendrix.

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
I ran by a lot of names. About 7 years ago, I ran by the name Retrax7000. That name came from both my 5-year-old World of Warcraft days and my 7-year-old Runescape days. My first name is Carter, and on WoW, I played an Orc Hunter named Retrac, which is my name backwards. When I played Runescape, I had this amazing idea of multiple accounts. First, I had Retrac. Then, I got bored of that. That changed to Retrac7, because I was like, 7. Then, came Retrac70. While making Retrac700, my tiny finger slipped, and I hit X instead of C, making it Retrax700. I really liked the name, and I proceeded to make Retrax, Retrax7, and Retrax70. After that, Retrax7000. However, soon after that, I quit Runescape, but I used that for a couple more years. It's still my PSN username, mainly because I can't change it.

Then, I had Urter. That came from Maplestory. I was like, "Carter... I like the letter U... URTER GOT IT PUT IT IN BEFORE IT GETS STOLEN". There are a couple of websites that I still use Urter on. Fanfiction.net is one of them.

Until about half a year ago, you could ring me up by asking for Dragonpolabear, Dragon, or DPB. I actually still use that name, and I absolutely adore it. That username came from both my Chinese Zodiac animal, the Dragon, and my favorite animal, the Polar Bear. I stuck with that name for about 5 years. It's still used in a lot of things, like my League of Legends. However, I'm going to change that soon, probably to something like IOnlyFight.

Then, Takasura, also known as Taka. I used that name for a bit, on places like Mabinogi and Raidcall. It's my Japanese-sounding name, made completely from scratch, and I still use it in MMO's and a majority of my Fanfiction OC's.

Now, I have DiggersBoy. DiggersBoy comes from my Pokemon love. When I got Pokemon Y on Black Friday, I did a blind runthrough of the game. When I fought a Diggersby for my first (and only) time, I sat there for about 5 minutes, laughing at how stupid it looked. Then, I saw that it's hidden ability was Huge Power. I'm a big fan of the Pokemon Metagame, and the only other species that has Huge Power was the Marill evolution tree, which was a very top-tier pokemon. Googling Diggersby, I came across the legendary DIGGERSBY THO video. Thus, my love for the asian bunny was born.

DiggersBoy is quickly becoming my main username, which I call myself often, and it's the username that is on here, Smashboards. My Smash tag is DIGGR, and I often like to make a lot of Gurren Lagann jokes, using me as the butt of them, saying things like "I'm Carter the Diggers" and stuff like that (Please don't spoil that anime if you have watched it I actually haven't finished it yet).

I needed a name that I could identify with. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years, and I've been known for that for a while. So when I started playing P:M competitively, I came up with A6stringthing. The (A6ST) part I came up with by accident, I was typing "A6stringthing" somewhere and it didn't fit. I erased everything in there up until the first "t" and was left with "A6st" which coincidentally were the first letters of A6stringthing. I've been called A6, now and again, which is fine because I hate my common name. Lol

Top Bottom