• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

User Voted Smash 64 Tier List

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I mean those are combos, yeah, and there might be a term for them that I'm unaware of, but I've always known gimping as exactly what the wiki says, and everyone else would agree. Sorry dude. It's no big deal if you just got something mixed up, don't worry about it.
It's called gimping. The wiki is wrong or targetting non-traditional smash64 players. Gimping is basically 0 to death combos but doesn't have to be 0%.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Maybe its called gimping in brawl or melee, but not real smash.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Maybe its called gimping in brawl or melee, but not real smash.
Well I mean you're entitled to your own opinion, just be warned. When 99% of smash players say gimp, they mean what the wiki says. You do you dude. No problem with that.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Also i'm not confusing it with edgeguarding, I literally defined what each of the terms are I don't see the problem here. Edgeguarding is attacking people off stage, ledge guarding is attacking people off stage while on stage, Gimping is doing a combo to death that can't be normally broken.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
No, it's not an opinion it's FACTS!
Alright, if you really want to continue with your ignorance... This is straight from the Wiki page for Smash 64 Fox:

"His primary recovery move, Fire Fox, additionally requires charge-up time, and cannot damage opponents during that time, leaving Fox vulnerable; it is also possible to hit him out of the move using a projectile such as Thunder Jolt to gimp him repeatedly."

Sources, including the link to the page for edge guarding
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Fox_(SSB)
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Edge-guarding

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Alright, if you really want to continue with your ignorance... This is straight from the Wiki page for Smash 64 Fox:

"His primary recovery move, Fire Fox, additionally requires charge-up time, and cannot damage opponents during that time, leaving Fox vulnerable; it is also possible to hit him out of the move using a projectile such as Thunder Jolt to gimp him repeatedly."

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Fox_(SSB)
Improper terminology, the wiki is wrong maybe you should edit it since you want to care about incorrect information so much.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Improper terminology, the wiki is wrong maybe you should edit it since you want to care about incorrect information so much.
I don't know why you're getting so mad about this. It's no big deal, it's okay to be wrong about something. Alternatively, if you firmly believe that your definitions for gimping etc. are correct, that's fine. Everyone is allowed to have opinions. If the wiki was wrong, it wouldn't say what it says. Just don't worry about it, okay?

Shears

Smash Master
I've never regarded gimping as a 0-death combo.

To me gimping has always been baiting an opponent offstage and getting a KO from it. Hitting a naturally recovering opponent is edgeguarding. Comboing to death is a combo. Counter edgeguarding/baiting an opponent off stage to then get the KO is gimping.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I've never regarded gimping as a 0-death combo.

To me gimping has always been baiting an opponent offstage and getting a KO from it. Hitting a naturally recovering opponent is edgeguarding. Comboing to death is a combo. Counter edgeguarding/baiting an opponent off stage to then get the KO is gimping.
Yeah, that's right. I've always gone by the rules that the wiki say, even before I knew about the wiki. Gimping is using a weak move to stop someone's recovery back to stage. Edgeguarding is leaving the stage to kill someone with one or more moves. An unbreakable combo that ends in a KO is just a combo.

Shears

Smash Master
I assume everything on the wiki is wrong. To me, these words are defined by the way I've always used them or the people I know and play smash with use them.

A combo to KO an opponent=combo

Using a move (weak or strong) that KOs an opponent (whether or not it would KO normally) that is recovering naturally from being sent off stage by the player=edgeguard

An opponent losing a stock after chasing the player off stage (whether its an SD or being counter edgeguarded)=gimp

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I assume everything on the wiki is wrong. To me, these words are defined by the way I've always used them or the people I know and play smash with use them.

A combo to KO an opponent=combo

Using a move (weak or strong) that KOs an opponent (whether or not it would KO normally) that is recovering naturally from being sent off stage by the player=edgeguard

An opponent losing a stock after chasing the player off stage (whether its an SD or being counter edgeguarded)=gimp
Why assume the wiki is wrong? It was put together by people like you and me. Just players. It's a collection of everyone's ideas made into a standard, and it's now used as a global reference for all smash players.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
This thread has gotten completely derailed and I apologize to the guy who made it for that.

Moral of the story: Everyone has opinions on what different terms mean. There is a globally accepted standard and it's available at ssbwiki.com, please stay tuned for more messages.

Shears

Smash Master
Why assume the wiki is wrong? It was put together by people like you and me. Just players. It's a collection of everyone's ideas made into a standard, and it's now used as a global reference for all smash players.
It was not made by people like me. It was made by misinformed people who didn't know what they were talking about but heard a myth or rumor they believed to be true and posted it assuming so. It creates a domino effect that people like me are still trying to correct even after more than a year of weekly streaming and presence on social media.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Gimping is a combo that is unbreakable or almost unbreakable (with good di) that results in a death. Most of gimps like with Ness or Pikachu involve taking the opponet off stage and finishing them but they also can be in the middle of the stage.

Getting someone to go off the edge is called mindgames, then preventing their recovery no matter how it is done is either Edgeguarding or Ledgeguarding as I defined

I don't care what the wiki says, the term has been used for years in the way I'm defining it. It may not on the smash wiki, or new smash community and opinionboards but on Kaillera the smash community has referred to Gimping as this.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
It was not made by people like me. It was made by misinformed people who didn't know what they were talking about but heard a myth or rumor they believed to be true and posted it assuming so. It creates a domino effect that people like me are still trying to correct even after more than a year of weekly streaming and presence on social media.
Gimping is a combo that is unbreakable or almost unbreakable (with good di) that results in a death. Most of gimps like with Ness or Pikachu involve taking the opponet off stage and finishing them but they also can be in the middle of the stage.

Getting someone to go off the edge is called mindgames, then preventing their recovery no matter how it is done is either Edgeguarding or Ledgeguarding as I defined

I don't care what the wiki says, the term has been used for years in the way I'm defining it. It may not on the smash wiki, or new smash community and opinionboards but on Kaillera the smash community has referred to Gimping as this.
Look guys, I'm not here to argue about this. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. If you ask, 99% of players WILL agree with what the wiki says, therefore making it a "global standard" (notice the quotations), that does NOT mean that your opinions are wrong. They're just different from the widely accepted opinion of smash players at large.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Gimping is a low percent kill that usually involves throwing/getting them off stage and then throwing in an aerial + edgehog.

For example: Fox shine spiking a character at a low percent. Marth throwing a low percent Falco off stage, d tilts, then goes all the way down and f-airs, and then edgehogs. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Gimping is a low percent kill that usually involves throwing/getting them off stage and then throwing in an aerial + edgehog.

For example: Fox shine spiking a character at a low percent. Marth throwing a low percent Falco off stage, d tilts, then goes all the way down and f-airs, and then edgehogs. Stuff like that.
Thank you. I'm glad someone else here has some common sense.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Thank you. I'm glad someone else here has some common sense.
Um, you do realize what he said is the same as I stated.

"Gimping is a combo that is unbreakable or almost unbreakable (with good di) that results in a death. Most of gimps like with Ness or Pikachu involve taking the opponet off stage and finishing them but they also can be in the middle of the stage."

Fox, Bthrow to Bair then Shine is a gimp but that doesn't mean Falcon Fthrow to B at a certain % isn't a gimp. Although it's just a throw and a B attack from anywhere, it's still a gimp. Same for DK grab chain **** tent to B and jigglypuff Fthrow combos. Like Fthrow on falcon or fox at 40-50ish% to hit the rest is a perfect gimp like DK's **** tent, because it's unbreakable 100% connecting.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Um, you do realize what he said is the same as I stated.

"Gimping is a combo that is unbreakable or almost unbreakable (with good di) that results in a death. Most of gimps like with Ness or Pikachu involve taking the opponet off stage and finishing them but they also can be in the middle of the stage."

Fox, Bthrow to Bair then Shine is a gimp but that doesn't mean Falcon Fthrow to B at a certain % isn't a gimp. Although it's just a throw and a B attack from anywhere, it's still a gimp. Same for DK grab chain **** tent to B and jigglypuff Fthrow combos. Like Fthrow on falcon or fox at 40-50ish% to hit the rest is a perfect gimp like DK's **** tent, because it's unbreakable 100% connecting.
He said shine spike. I would consider that a gimp. I am done arguing with you. Please don't respond to my posts anymore.

Morin0

Smash Lord
Gimping is not necessarily a combo. (Or at least one that happens in neutral.) For a lack of a better term, it's a "janky" string of hits (could be a true combo)–or can be a single move–that connect at a low percentage and lead to an early kill. The biggest factor here is that it is at low percent. DK Hyrule tent combos is not gimping. In my view, gimping is a situation where a player puts the other in a position to recover, and the other player edgeguards accordingly, which leads to the loss of a stock at an early percentage. (e.g., Pikachu back throws Falcon off stage, drop zones n-air, and Falcon loses a stock at like 26%.)

Good example of what gimping is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k3EThLc-i0

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master

Lol fox jab usmash on top platform gimps are my fav.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
the only way this argument could get any better would be if studstill was here insisting that none of these terms are correct

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Lol fox jab usmash on top platform gimps are my fav.
That's more of a combo rather than a gimp because it's di-able. I refer to it as platforming, it's easier to do with Fox than it is with Yoshi or Mario for example.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
That's more of a combo rather than a gimp because it's di-able. I refer to it as platforming, it's easier to do with Fox than it is with Yoshi or Mario for example.
omg this is gold. Some plz put this guy in a room with stud. PLEASE

Uair

Banned via Warnings
omg this is gold. Some plz put this guy in a room with stud. PLEASE
Elaborate you pleb, what's so "gold" about what I said? You do realize what you said implies what I said was inaccurate or wrong which it wasn't, what shears said was completely inaccurate. You can pull off a Fox gimp with a few juggles but not like you're probably thinking of how LD does with multiple utilts which don't work together, when you don't let him do that he'll space out uairs instead which do work but are harder to be consistent.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Elaborate you pleb, what's so "gold" about what I said? You do realize what you said implies what I said was inaccurate or wrong which it wasn't, what shears said was completely inaccurate. You can pull off a Fox gimp with a few juggles but not like you're probably thinking of how LD does with multiple utilts which don't work together, when you don't let him do that he'll space out uairs instead which do work but are harder to be consistent.
plz dont ever change. you are my new favorite

Edit:dont worry grizzmeister, i still love you too bby

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
plz dont ever change. you are my new favorite

Edit:dont worry grizzmeister, i still love you too bby
Reported for low quality spamming. Please refrain from such inappropriate behaviors in the future, when you are asked to elaborate on something you damn well better do it if you intend to carry out any conversation.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Reported for low quality spamming. Please refrain from such inappropriate behaviors in the future, when you are asked to elaborate on something you damn well better do it if you intend to carry out any conversation.
i just really hope that you are real. If it turns out you are like cane or something my heart might break

D

Deleted member

phillllipuh :3

Shears

Smash Master
LOLOL you are so wrong!!! No one agrees with you. Find one person who agrees with you, please.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
LOLOL you are so wrong!!! No one agrees with you. Find one person who agrees with you, please.
I don't like how opinionboarders are trying to tell me something that I and other random people have been using in this context is something else. I do not care what an outdated wiki says or who agrees with me, I am right you are all wrong this isn't brawl this is smash64 we do gimps that finish in the middle of the stage get over it.

And if those gimps are not unbreakable or close to unbreabkable then they are not proper gimps.

/Thread

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Also LOLOLOLOLOLO you got no idea how smash64 works - "jab usmash on top platform gimps are my fav."

The area in which you do this doesn't matter, it's a gimp regardless at certain % on some characters, but catching people or stopping them with a jab is much different which is what I assume you were thinking. There are several working ways to end up with a jab to upsmash, on Link you could uair twice then utilt 3 or 4 times and uair again then full jump Bair jab upsmash. However that, doesn't always work on most character because you got to utilt them multiple times which they can easily di to one side and mess up.

You may not look stupid to these other people, but to me your ignorance is showing.

Shears

Smash Master
I don't like how opinionboarders are trying to tell me something that I and other random people have been using in this context is something else. I do not care what an outdated wiki says or who agrees with me, I am right you are all wrong this isn't brawl this is smash64 we do gimps that finish in the middle of the stage get over it.

And if those gimps are not unbreakable or close to unbreabkable then they are not proper gimps.

/Thread
So when a bunch of people and I (who all have been here for a while and go to all major tournaments) give a definition for gimps its wrong, but when you and your random friends give a definition its right? See the problem in your argument? Your declaration of being right isn't proof as much as my declaration isn't right either. What is proof is everyone else agreeing with me and its definition on the wiki.

Shears

Smash Master
Also LOLOLOLOLOLO you got no idea how smash64 works - "jab usmash on top platform gimps are my fav."

The area in which you do this doesn't matter, it's a gimp regardless at certain % on some characters, but catching people or stopping them with a jab is much different which is what I assume you were thinking. There are several working ways to end up with a jab to upsmash, on Link you could uair twice then utilt 3 or 4 times and uair again then full jump Bair jab upsmash. However that, doesn't always work on most character because you got to utilt them multiple times which they can easily di to one side and mess up.

You may not look stupid to these other people, but to me your ignorance is showing.
Come to any major tournament and I will gladly 5 stock you. Your ignorance is showing.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
So when a bunch of people and I (who all have been here for a while and go to all major tournaments) give a definition for gimps its wrong, but when you and your random friends give a definition its right? See the problem in your argument? Your declaration of being right isn't proof as much as my declaration isn't right either. What is proof is everyone else agreeing with me and its definition on the wiki.
Not random friends, random online players for the past 7 or 8 years.

Come to any major tournament and I will gladly 5 stock you. Your ignorance is showing.
Nope, I'll never show up at apex until one of the top 10 players can beat me online. Gav recently posted vids of beating fireblaster twice which we already knew fireblaster was terrible now, it just goes to show how bad smash64 community is in "major tournaments" which is mostly due to a lack of community and care.

You could never realistically beat me lol, not even if you played for as long as I have and tried the be good the entire time.

Top Bottom