• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Useful mindgame tactic

Megaman1986

Smash Cadet
As with most other tactics, its conditional and works best with certain characters but isn't limited to any particular one. I haven't seen this used outside of my personal smash group, so I'd like to let you guys know.

To get your best effects from this tactic, it is best to make as much noise on your controller when inputing moves. Your opponent may pick up on consistencies and rhythms of these sounds, making it easier for them to react to your movements. I have found ways to feint certain moves by tapping on my controller in ways that would lead my opponent to believe I am executing a certain move, but do something different at the last second.

Best example I've found so far - IC's over B. When returning to the ledge (especially against characters with disjointed hitboxes), you'll often be torn between air dodging unexpectedly or tapping over B rapidly to recover horizontally. To use this mindgame, begin rapidly tapping on the controller as if you were preforming an over B recovery. They will expect that move to happen, especially if you have recovered with over B previously in the match. Then simply air-dodge(triangle dodge, wave-land, whatever fits in the situation), and enjoy their confusion by smashing them in the face or chain grabbing them for a stock.

I'm sure this could potentially become more useful, but so far the IC example is one of the best uses I've experienced. As I mentioned before, this is not a fool-proof tactic. Like any other form of mindgame, you can't abuse it or you opponent will catch on.

Discuss and critique other potential uses of this here. All comments and suggestions are appreciated.

DemonicShadows

Smash Apprentice
I dunno...you're saying that no one will catch on, yet you forgot that there are over 100,000 smashers, and around 30 pros who have the whole mindgame concept mastered.

And by the way, that's what mindgames are meant to do. The whole point is to fool your opponent into thinking you are going to attack with that one move, in which you wavedash so they would attack and miss, and you can execute an attack directly after (since the opponent would have an attack lag).

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I've actually had this happen before <_<. Whenever I start jamming my control stick left and right to dashdance, the sound always messes my friend up. Even when I don't do the dashdance. :p

rklamer

Smash Cadet
I'm not what you'd call "pro" enough to even pay attention to controller sounds :p But cool find.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
first of all kirby does not rock he sucks -_-
second of all i find this interesting because this is wat i consider to be a RL Mindgame. another example of something like that would be trash-talking. trash-talking effects some people and can cause them to be irritated or angry with the other player which then leads to aggresive attacks or just bad gameplay. I believe that this tactic will only work on a decent player who expects certain things and reacts to them accordingly. someone like the kid above me it would not work on.

Megaman1986

Smash Cadet
I dunno...you're saying that no one will catch on, yet you forgot that there are over 100,000 smashers, and around 30 pros who have the whole mindgame concept mastered.
That's actually opposite of what I said. I clearly stated that this, like many other mindgame, cannot be abused or it will be noticed and may put you into a worse situation.

What opponents CAN catch on to is a rhythmic pattern of noises that you make from your controller. If you're a loud player (makes noticeable of clicks and taps on the controller), you can use this mindgame for your advantage.

Aiko

Smash Champion
i've been doing this since the original smash. When I have a standoff against someone, and they know im going to do a running grab or attack, i'll make a tap noise on my controller to try to psyche them out.

as you said, it is conditional but it can be useful :)

Banksya

Smash Ace
usually in a tournament theres too much noise to pull this ******* ****, but maybe in friendlys which don't matter anyway

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Or just make sounds.

Whenever I use the IC's forward-B I always go, "HELICOPTER chukachukachukachuka"

Luma

Smash Lord
this is nice as fox
just tapping on a or something while u are doing fwd b
i am doing stuff like this when i am on the edge so that ppl dunno if i roll up or do something else

Aesir

Smash Master
I'm not even gonna read what you to say I'm just gonna tell you this.

you can't say "this'll work as a mindgame" because mindgames are tricks and or situational tactics based off what is happening in a match at the moment. you can't give examples of them either, its like gravity you believe it exists but you can't exactly see it to know for sure.

Top Bottom