• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use of Z Powershielding

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone managed to successfully implement ZPS in their gameplay yet? The way in which I imagined it helping Puff when I heard about it was that it would allow her to shield out of crouch, making it much easier to shield Falcon's stomps and Marth's tippers rather than choosing between shielding stomps/tippers and crouching grabs. In other words, she could crouch in the neutral game and then shield stomps/tippers on reaction. I haven't gotten to work with this much because I haven't had much time to play recently, but I'm curious whether anyone else has made this (or any other use of ZPS) work in their gameplay.

Here's the reddit post for the discovery of ZPS for those who missed it: http://redd.it/2uq5bf

squible2

Smash Cadet
You can powershield aeirials out of crouch with regular powersheilding. It's much easier than standing powersheilding because puffs hurtbox is tiny, but as soon as you sheild, you stand up with the sheild around you. You can powersheild falco lasers really easily by crouching under them and then sheidling when the front of the laser is above you.

I've used z-powersheilding to reflect lasers that normally go above puff's head. I can also see it being very useful to powershield aerials, because of the bigger timing window. You could ps -> fsmash, ps -> utilt -> rest, ps -> rest.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
You can powershield aeirials out of crouch with regular powersheilding. It's much easier than standing powersheilding because puffs hurtbox is tiny, but as soon as you sheild, you stand up with the sheild around you. You can powersheild falco lasers really easily by crouching under them and then sheidling when the front of the laser is above you.

I've used z-powersheilding to reflect lasers that normally go above puff's head. I can also see it being very useful to powershield aerials, because of the bigger timing window. You could ps -> fsmash, ps -> utilt -> rest, ps -> rest.
How does powershielding out of crouch without ZPS work? Wouldn't you just spotdodge? Or are you saying you bring the control stick back to neutral and then you shield? That sounds impractical and like it would mitigate the benefit of her having a small hurtbox while crouching.

Last edited:

squible2

Smash Cadet
If you are already holding down when you press shield, you don't spot dodge. You just shield with the shield tilted down. Works the same way with z-ps.

Massive

Smash Champion
I've been working to include z-ps into my gameplay.
It's hard to remember to do it after so many years of regular shielding, but it does work very well vs falco at least.

It did lead me to the knowledge of instashield on landing though, and for that I am quite happy.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I implement it against Peach and Samus. Still trying to get fast enough to do it against Falco. The ZPS is incredibly useful against peach when she pulls a bomb, stitch, dot-eye or beam sword. I claw and took the spring out of R so it's easy to use.

I'm trying to theory craft uses for it in other matchups but being stuck in your shield longer from the light-shield is rough.

Top Bottom