• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use of the padscreen

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
What use do you think the padscreen might have in this game?
I think in the story mode it can serve to visualize a map of the level (just the explored parts) and to move and (new!) rotate the stickers. I see it working this way: you touch the stikers in the middle and you can move it, you touch the sticker on the border and you can rotate it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it could work wonders for an improved Stage Builder, allowing to edit 3D environments via touch.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea with statistics on the pad.

When playing online, maybe it could be used to interact with other players?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
It could serve for an assimetrical multiplayer.
Like: when players on screen play multiman, the player with the pad choose the enemies to drop down and where they will appear.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I think it shouldn't be a controller option but sort of a side thing. Ideally I would to see:

- Custom Map editor, making stages much easier to design
- Live stat tracker. So in a match, anyone on the side can see sort of a ticker showing what moves each player did and on screen data such as last % damage and move used etc. Could also be used if we were have something like the "ledge grab" rule again, where there is live tracking of that data.
- Hopefully there is a good match recorder with online sharing, so imagine to try and learn what players are doing in a match, you could watch the inputs of the controller on the pad while the match is playing on the TV so you can learn in different ways.
- Online features during the match, so you die and go straight to the pad to say something.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
- Online features during the match, so you die and go straight to the pad to say something.
Or, like in Bomberman multiplayer, you can partecipate to the game in a external way, for example by taking control of the items. With some limits, like: the items are given you in a sequence, but you can decide where they are appearing.

Feels

Smash Cadet
My guess is that in normal multiplayer matches it'll just serve as a mirror of the TV, I remember Sakurai saying that he didn't want the game pad person to have an advantage over the others.

Other things like the coin launcher might be different. I can also see Snake's final smash using it, just touching where you want to shoot.

:phone:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
- Hopefully there is a good match recorder with online sharing, so imagine to try and learn what players are doing in a match, you could watch the inputs of the controller on the pad while the match is playing on the TV so you can learn in different ways.
Showcasing the inputs was a nice feature in SSFIV.

I'd like to see SilentWolf's inputs in Melee...

peeup

Smash Lord
Multiplayer mode where 2 people with normal controllers fight, and one person with the gamepad can move the camera all around and make sick videos or take sick pictures or just make for an epic/annoying fight, depending on what he wants to do.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
-6 player multiplayer (2 gamepads + 4 other controller)
-WAY better stage builder
-Take awesome pictures during the battle
-Stat tracker
-A map for during adventure mode
-Stage hazards

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
-6 player multiplayer (2 gamepads + 4 other controller)
-WAY better stage builder
-Take awesome pictures during the battle
-Stat tracker
-A map for during adventure mode
-Stage hazards
Could you be more clear on the last point?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I hope I cane actually play on the game-pad when I am brawling. :p Because my family hogs the TV most of the time, and most of the time I want to play but I can't.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The gamepad sounds pretty legit for a good 'remote' when watching replays.
Uhmmm... Yeah! Maybe you can modify the angle during replays, like a director, and then save it, so you can watch the replay again in a more cinematic manner. And post it on You-Tube maybe.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Never seen anyone spell youtube that way. But in all seriousness, being able to download user submitted replays in an easy to access hub with like a search tool of some sort would be incredible. With top rated or most viewed vids on the front page. Maybe something like brawl's daily stage reciever... but with replays...Would be easy to navigate on gamepad.

Being able to pause the game and move the camera by looking around with the gamepad...sounds pretty dope.

grizby2

Smash Lord
maybe there might be new items that can use the pads screen!
but i figure it would probably only be optional, seeing how theres the wii u pro controllers.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
-Stage Builder (the pad would be VERY helpful for this)
-Touch to activate Final Smash
-Match Statistics

Maybe it won't even be used at all, and you have the option of playing only on the pad or only on the tv, like Mario U.

Regardless, I think the Pro controllers are more suited to Smash Bros anyway.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Me and my friend came up with a funny idea for the gamepad: A special game mode where up to 4 players fight normally, and the 5th player uses the gamepad to basically play as God. They get to randomly spawn platforms/items and activate stage hazards or change the gravity/wind settings.

Would be super trollish and fun. Right up Sakurai's alley.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'd assume the pad features would be similar if not identical to the 3DS version, and hopefully you could set it up with 3 players using the 3DS and one player using the Wii U Gamepad. That way everybody would have the view of the television, along with their own personal view on their screen. For items such as the invisibility cloak, if that makes a return, the character could actually go 100% invisible, like the ghost player on Luigi's Mansion Nintendoland, and for things like the Dragoon your crosshair could just be visible on your screen, leaving the other players guessing where you might launch it, for example.
A stats screen or a C-Stick type thing would probably be other uses for it.

Top Bottom