• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATING* Dedede Patch 1.1.6 WHAAT Impact and Discussion

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
So as of just now, there's another patch coming SOMETIME this month - which of course is making everyone freak out about precisely WHEN. Link: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/axfj/update/index.html. Are you ready for a whole new round of disappointment?

I don't know, though. This one feels different to me. #Dededespairing

Please keep all talk in this thread related to:
  • Dedede Changes: any legitimate buffs whatsoever = I cry IRL. All day. It's been such a long road.
  • Other Patch Changes: any other changes we notice for other characters, and how they impact D3
  • Overall Impact to the Metagame: and by extension, our King and his placement in it.
If I had to make (hopeful) predictions...Nerfs: Bayo, Cloud, Rosa, Buffs: Puff, Ganon, Palu, Roy, Marcina, Zelda.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Here's some veeery early, Day 0 patch impressions from Nairo.

D3 isn't mentioned, but it seems he just checked out some of the high tiers, in addition to the newbies.

Both characters seem like they could potentially be tough for us given what he said...but it's a relief to hear the Bullet Arts aren't that good. If they were...it would have been a really lopsided matchup.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Most important thing I noticed is that Bayonettas taunts arn't as long as they made them out to be.

Dedede is still rules as the surpreme taunt king!!

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Well, I hate to make my returning post to the Dedede boards a placebo post, but here goes nothing.

I've been messing around with ledge sticking gordos and it's been pretty consistent. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the hitbox was changed. But there's no real way to tell until the patch notes have been put up.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I took a stock off of Bayo at ~110% (I had ~130%) with a fThrow facing the ledge.

Doesn't sound that impressive, and maybe it's just me, but has fThrow killed this early at the ledge before? Seems to be it usually took longer.

Man, should this be our ONE buff, I'd gladly take it.

EDIT:
Bayo also died to an uAir at ~99% (I again had ~130%). Wasn't even that high up in the air.
What's the deal? Are there some buffs, or is Bayo just SUPER light?

Last edited:

Krubby

Smash Cadet
Based on early impressions, Bayonetta doesn't have any simple way of reflecting gordos nor anything to threaten us with at a distance. Her only way of getting in on us quickly is that boost attack and our multi hit moves such as up air, jab and side tilt all ignore her counter. Although once she's in on us she can combo us hard and it will only get more brutal as her combos become optimized, I think she'll have a similar matchup to us as Ryu where we can keep her out pretty effectively. Hopefully she helps Dedede's viability by being another high tier we do well against. Corn is just another bad matchup for us tho.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Well, I hate to make my returning post to the Dedede boards a placebo post, but here goes nothing.

I've been messing around with ledge sticking gordos and it's been pretty consistent. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the hitbox was changed. But there's no real way to tell until the patch notes have been put up.
Tested my basic sticks, everything works pretty much the same. We'll see.

From my other testing, D3 is unchanged. We MIGHT have received a small airspeed buff, but that's probably placebo. For the patch notes we wait.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Just wanna throw this out there, but just because this is the final smash dlc, it does not mean it's the final patch! There's still hope if nothing comes of this one!

supersage400

Smash Cadet
NNID
Supersage400
3DS FC
4897-5984-7450
How the heck does Nintendo decide who should be blessed with these buffs and who should be left alone? There doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, but its absolutely clear by now that Dedede is fine as is by whatever metric they're using even with his glaring issues. Poor Dedede.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
From the patch notes...no changes.

IIRC, Gordo is stored differently and may have been missed, but that's just wishful thinking really.

Aw well. Time to develop the Deed's mindgames. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I popped over to the cloud boards and some of them are crying (not really) about cloud not getting a buff to recovery or grab game. Like, seriously? Boo hoo, you're A tier character isnt perfect!

They should try maining dedede and see how good they've got it.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
An air speed buff would be nice, or literally anything. I'll say Dedede doesn't look too unviable, but if you'll bring Dedede with you at a tourney you're going to need some characters to check his counters for him. Soul Train already wrote the changes we want, now we just have to be more vocal about it and get it advertised more.

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
Having looked at the patch forum, it looks like only select few characters got changes applied to them. I guess this makes sense because the focus was probably on the new characters' initial balancing and bug testing.

Better luck next time, fellow De's (we'll need it).

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friendly reminder that now, more than ever, you should focus on improving as a player and growing the King's meta game rather than focusing on the lack of buffs. And if you're not getting the results you want, maybe you'll have to make the call as a player to swap characters.

I'm sticking with it till the end personally, buffs or no buffs. Or until my frustration as a competitor outweighs the fun I have as a player, idk.

More importantly, how does he stack up next to Corrin and Bayonetta? Certain problematic characters received minor (and I do mean MINOR) weight nerfs, how much will this improve our ability to KO them? These are the main things we need to take a look at in the next couple of weeks imo.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I think I may end up being one of those people who'll retire dedede from his status as my main, especially if we dont see any buffs before long. As much as I love the king, I cant really fool myself into believing he's my absolute best character. Not anymore.

Dedede is held back by so much, and sometimes I feel like he's holding me back, as a player. And now, we have bayonetta.

Bayo-****ing-netta.

She already clicks with me very well, and I feel like I can go places with this character. I'll be very surprised if she doesnt end up being my main, if not a secondary.

If it comes to that, well...it's not like I wont still play dedede. He just wont have that illustrious "main" label. He'll likely join my regular rotation of characters (mewtwo and bowser) with bayonetta, meta knight and little mac as the top 3.

I'm still hoping for some magic patch that makes him truly viable again. We'll see.

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
I'm absolutely astonished behind the smash team's balance choices. They've done an incredibly poor job overall, especially compared to pretty much every other notable fighting game studio.

Man what a garbage patch though. What's their reasoning for continually neglecting D3 and Jiggs when they've literally buffed every other heavy/low tier in the game? And why do mid-tier characters continually receive buffs instead? Are they not going to properly address Shiek, Zero Suit Spamus, Rosa, etc either?

Since it's obvious they have no intention of being competent, I think I'll have to relegate the King to secondary status at this point. I've waited for over a year for anything, but they keep shafting us D3 mains.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm absolutely astonished behind the smash team's balance choices. They've done an incredibly poor job overall, especially compared to pretty much every other notable fighting game studio.

Man what a garbage patch though. What's their reasoning for continually neglecting D3 and Jiggs when they've literally buffed every other heavy/low tier in the game? And why do mid-tier characters continually receive buffs instead? Are they not going to properly address Shiek, Zero Suit Spamus, Rosa, etc either?

Since it's obvious they have no intention of being competent, I think I'll have to relegate the King to secondary status at this point. I've waited for over a year for anything, but they keep shafting us D3 mains.
I wouldnt say they've done a poor job. Not at all. It's just that a couple characters have been neglected.

And btw, shiek, rosa, and zss did get slight nerfs...they're ever so slightly lighter. Like, 1 point lighter.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
On the positive look for things, at least Dedede still has it better than other characters like Jigglypuff and Zelda. He's favored in doubles, has some pretty nifty things only he can really do such as Gordo ledgesticking and is favored in Japan and Europe ( Makes me proud to be in Europe ) due to these attributes.
EDIT: NVM on the doubles part, i haven't found any source suggesting this. Though he does seem pretty decent there with his range.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think I may end up being one of those people who'll retire dedede from his status as my main, especially if we dont see any buffs before long. As much as I love the king, I cant really fool myself into believing he's my absolute best character. Not anymore.

Dedede is held back by so much, and sometimes I feel like he's holding me back, as a player. And now, we have bayonetta.

Bayo-****ing-netta.

She already clicks with me very well, and I feel like I can go places with this character. I'll be very surprised if she doesnt end up being my main, if not a secondary.

If it comes to that, well...it's not like I wont still play dedede. He just wont have that illustrious "main" label. He'll likely join my regular rotation of characters (mewtwo and bowser) with bayonetta, meta knight and little mac as the top 3.

I'm still hoping for some magic patch that makes him truly viable again. We'll see.
Don't go to the dark side....

Last edited:

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 Yea man one dude in the jiggz thread actually quit smash because she didn't get buffed.
at least play him on the side and continue to learn what the character is capable of.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Man, we got some whiners in here. Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.
A fantastic way to speak to fellow D3 players who understand the struggle.

"Man, I think I my not main dedede anymore..."

"WELL FINE THEN, LEAVE!! WE DONT NEED YOU!! AND DONT YOU DARE COME BACK!!!"

Doctor Troggy

Smash Rookie
I think as long as we keep our Gordo trapping game and edge options as good as they are currently, we shouldn't have issues with Bayo and Corrin, as long as we play it smart. I'd see Corrin being the biggest pest, though, due to his counter and neutral B.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post
Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 Yea man one dude in the jiggz thread actually quit smash because she didn't get buffed.
at least play him on the side and continue to learn what the character is capable of.
Thats messed up...im actually thinking about it too... the only trouble i have is with Rosa and like a REALLY good Yoshi, Peach, Falcon.

But they are not that common but Corrin and Bayo are just destroying me and with Ganon i main them both and its getting to much...expecially since FG is flooded with Corrin and Bayo atm...and i dont see people dropping them.....what happened to all the Cloud players?? Not a single one in sight...

I tried picking up DK but i hate his Side tilt and the insane endlag on his Dair and DownB in the air just annoys me to no end because i cant play the character how i want even though it might not be the most competitive way to play him..

Thats why i live D3 he feels so free and you can play him in many ways so he always feelss fresh..

And with Ganon that pure power never gets old you surprise even yourself at how powerful he is

Check out how i end this Cloud's last stock absolutely insane.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
First, I want to clarify something - whether you're disappointed by the patch or frustrated at those crying for buffs - this forum is a place of acceptance. I don't care if you're 8 or 28: if you play King Dedede, you have something great in common with me, and you are my friend. You don't have to feel the same way, but I do ask you to treat each other's decisions regarding the character with respect.

Meaning: Ghidorah14 Ghidorah14 is allowed to main someone else without criticism, but please don't just stop there. I am well aware of the frustration that comes with playing D3 - and for me that makes things so much more rewarding when you win or find new tech. Ask for help with a troublesome matchup if you want to improve, or offer to help test something in our research thread (as an idea). And Cook Cook is allowed to be frustrated by people here, but that doesn't mean you have to spread the negativity. You can disagree, but not disrespect. Let's offer help or at least an explanation before shutting people out.

The fact is, we don't play D3 because we have a "must win" complex. We play him for a variety of reasons - personal fit, hilarity, personality, you name it. But the underlying pattern is one of passion. It takes a unique person to keep playing the penguin, and that struggle is something that draws us together. You can lose a lot, but hey come here and you're not alone anymore. We're all in the same boat here, trying to have fun with the same game, playing the same character. That's more than enough for a positive community.

Dark Phazon Dark Phazon I have asked you several times not to embed youtube links, especially off-topic ones like this. And for future convenience, at least use a website like this and post a gif of the moment you mention, don't make us hunt for the exact time.

On a more relevant note: as it hasn't been mentioned, did no one notice that ZSS got a definite nerf to Boost Kick? This is not small, especially ombined with Trifroze's guide here on dealing with the move. Can anyone compare kill %s on D3 with the move now?

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
We may still get some buffs in a future patch. They seem to do HEAVY work on a few characters per patch. Sometimes, a character will get a tiny adjustment, but then there's those with huge alterations across the board. Somebody has to be last on the list to get looked at. Unfortunately, it's looking like that's us.

Doesn't mean give up hope. I still find myself learning more and more every day with DDD. So when he finally gets buffs, I wanna be at my best. He's still my fav and always will be.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Pardon my french, but...

WHAT THE F*** SAKURAI?! WHAT THE ACTUAL F***!!

This isnt even severe enough to be called a nerf. It's more like a kick in the balls.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I've hoped for a long time that Sakurai would eventually give Dedede the buffs he deserves and they nerf his aerial mobility. I'm beyond upset.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
From my perspective about Dedede's air speed nerf, I find it kinda unnecessary. Shield art made Shulk have the absolute worst air speed value in the game within a Vanilla metagame. But now, Dedede has an air speed value even worse than Shield Shulk. . .I can't help but smirk at that, since y'know, Shulk would have that "Best & Worst" title of whatever.
I'm just going to leave this here. . .

Treemendous

Smash Rookie
So I've lurked Smashboards for quite a while, and really enjoyed the Dedede community as a whole, but was never quite moved to participate in the discussion of any particular subject or social. However, this nerf to Dedede, however big or small as it might be, has really set me off. I've been a huge fan of the Kirby series and Dedede in particular and to see him receive an absolutely unnecessary nerf when he was already underwhelming makes my blood boil. I'm aware that there is a buff request that this board has put together that has unfortunately gained little momentum as of yet, but now I NEED Nintendo to hear my indignation concerning this nerf. According to you guys, what are the best ways to have Nintendo notice this community? Are there any avenues that haven't been tried yet?

My apologies if this is poorly formated and/or in the wrong thread. First time posting.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
So I've lurked Smashboards for quite a while, and really enjoyed the Dedede community as a whole, but was never quite moved to participate in the discussion of any particular subject or social. However, this nerf to Dedede, however big or small as it might be, has really set me off. I've been a huge fan of the Kirby series and Dedede in particular and to see him receive an absolutely unnecessary nerf when he was already underwhelming makes my blood boil. I'm aware that there is a buff request that this board has put together that has unfortunately gained little momentum as of yet, but now I NEED Nintendo to hear my indignation concerning this nerf. According to you guys, what are the best ways to have Nintendo notice this community? Are there any avenues that haven't been tried yet?

My apologies if this is poorly formated and/or in the wrong thread. First time posting.
Welcome to the boards, and I'm sad that this is what makes you post! We all share your frustration...trust me, I know I do. However any and all patch request discussion should be done in the dedicated thread. To give you a short answer: get awareness going on the community, and then contact Nintendo directly. All ideas and concepts for that are in the aforementioned thread.

And to head off anyone saying this: many keep saying that Sakurai said "no more patches." While there may not be another patch, that is not what he said, especially when translated correctly. Samurai was careful to clarify that there is no more DLC coming, that's all. As we've had many patches without DLC, there is a definite possibility for another patch.

Of course, working for a patch in no way means we stop pushing the character forward and improving. There are dedicated threads for that as well.

Top Bottom