• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATED* TSA Presents: Smashageddon! Melee and SSB64! Jan. 31th 2009

Sensei

Smash Lord
778 State Route 15 S
Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
973-810-2491 (Ask for Sensei/Paul)

Directions
:
When you get on Rt 15 South, going towards Game Freaks, make sure you get on the right once you see the Shell Gas Station. Its kinda tricky to miss the turn. Game Freaks is after the Shell Gas station and before Dunkin' Donuts. To get to the venue from RT 15 North, after the big incline and traffic light, take the ramp on the left towards Pathmark. Keep driving straight pass the Pathmark and towards the Dunkin' Donuts across the highway. The Dunkin' Donuts parking lot connects with the Game Freaks Parking lot.

Public Transit:
The closest train station to the venue is the one in Dover, which is about 10-15 min away by car. Try to arrange pickups with someone. I might be able to pick people up if you guys come by before registration starts so I can run the tournament.

Food:
As I said before, there is a Dunkin' Donuts right next door. There is also a pizzeria, Chinese food, dinner across the highway and a Wendy's and McDonald's and Subway down the highway..

Entry Fee:
SSBM 1v1 $10
SSBM 2v2 $10 per team

SSB64 1v1 $5
SSB64 2v2 $10 per team

Venue Fee:
$10

Prizes:

Singles:
1st place - 65% of prize
2nd place - 25% of prize
3rd place - 10% of prize

Doubles:
1st place - 65% of prize
2nd place - 25% of prize
3rd place - 10% of prize

Date: Saturday Jan 31, 2009
Registration Begins: 1 PM
Tournament Starts: 2 PM
SSBM Doubles First
30 Min Break
SSBM Singles/SSB Doubles
SSB Singles

Tournament ends: ~6-7PM or whatever is enough

SSB64 Rules

•Double Elimination
•All matches are best of 3, with finals best of 5.
•5 stock, 10 min Time limit
•Team Attack On
•No excessively STALLING a match! If caught doing so, you will be asked to stopped with a warning. If you continue to do so, you will forfeit the match.
•Ties broken by lives/percentage
•Items OFF

•Stages/Characters:
••Stages available: Peach's Castle, Hyrule Temple, Saffron City, Dreamland and Congo Jungle.
••Stage Strike Rule - Each player or team can choose one (1) stage to remove from random select AFTER all players have selected their characters and have entered the stage select screen. This only applies for the first match. All available stages are allowed for counterpick afterwords.
••All other stages banned
••First round stage is random unless players can agree upon a stage
•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go to random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
•Double Blind may be called in the first match

--You are responsible to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.
--You can buy a brand new first party controller here or you can try and find a new or used controller at your local game stores or Ebay.

MELEE RULES

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS - The store will not provide you one.
₪ All events will be double elimination
₪ Four (4) stock
₪ Eight (8) minute time limit
₪ Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews - you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in order to be favored - You must have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.
₪ In case more than 64 people come, Singles seedings will be determined by pools - each player will be assigned to a pool, and each pool will play 2 Three (5) stock matches in a round robin. If a player wins a match, he must inform an official of how much stock he had remaining. Players will continue to play with each other until each player has played all of the other players in the pool twice. The lowest ranking players will be cut off from each pool, so much so until it meets the conditions of a 64-man bracket. All stages for pools are picked randomly, and all character selections are double blind pick for the 1st match. In the 2nd match, if a player wishes to change a character, both players must again use double blind pick.
₪ In a set, character selection for the first round will be blind pick - both players must whisper their character choices for that match to an official, and then immediately select those characters afterwards. The stage select for the first match will be chosen by random select or may be agreed upon by the players. Random select will be used if there is any disagreement on stage selection. After the first match, the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match.
₪ Stage Strike Rule - Each player or team can choose one (1) stage to remove from random select AFTER all players have selected their characters and have entered the stage select screen. Players may change their stage strike each time they enter the stage select screen. (DO NOT ACTUALLY REMOVE THE STAGES FROM THE RANDOM STAGES LIST)
₪ Dave's Stupid Rule Modified - The same stage cannot be played twice in a row during a set
₪ Each round is best of three (3) matches; Finals are best of five (5) matches
₪ In the event of a tie at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins the match. In case both players have the same amount of stock, the player with the lowest percentage wins the match. If both players have the same percentages, the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one (1), and start a bonus match on the same stage. If the bonus match goes to the end of the time limit- despite whatever the amount of stocks are left - then both players/teams will be disqualified from the tournament.
₪ Items will be turned OFF
₪ In the event of an equipment malfunction, the match will be restart from the last known position or from any point in the match that is agreed upon by the players.
₪ Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
₪ Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor and can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.
₪ Nintendo Standard controllers only (any type of programmable controller must be inspected by a store official/TSA member). Likewise, controller modifications are banned. If you are caught using a modded controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
BRING WAVEBIRDS AT YOUR OWN RISK. It will be your responsibility to find others with Wavebirds and sort out the frequency issues. If you bring a wavebird it is highly suggested to bring a normal Gamecube controller in case your Wavebird malfunctions.
₪ Random Stages for Singles: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story
₪ Random Stages for Doubles: Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium
₪ Stages Banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Termina Bay and Yoshi's Island 64.
₪ For Doubles, Team attack is ON and life stealing is allowed.

*Both sets of rules are subject to change at ANYTIME

Also, please try to help us out and bring setups! TVs, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Games, VCR, extra controllers etc... This will help our tournament run a lot smoother. Thanks!

Sensei

Smash Lord
PB&J, its cool. I should make it more clear that this is a SSB64 tournament.

BTW, I checked out the venue and it is perfect for us. We actually have two private rooms all to ourselves for this =)

Changed the title to sound more like TSA-like =P

Sensei

Smash Lord
I've changed the entrance fees to make it more accessible.

I've also added public transit info.

There should be way more hype than this. There are plenty of people that are interested who have posted on the atlantic north regional and SSB64 threads. So keep in the mind that this thread is underestimating the amount of attendance.

SilentSc0per

Smash Cadet
I would definatly go to this, because its not far from me and its Melee. But way up North though. :ohwell:

Sensei

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity, how do you stall a match in Smash 64?
lol, late reply, but basically on certain stages with certain characters, for example pikachu on hyrule, due to pikachus high agility and many platforms to for evade, the pikachu can basically avoid the player throughout the whole match if the opponent's character is not quick enough or doesn't have effective projectiles. Some players might be tempted to run out the time and win by percentage, but if caught doing so they will be giving a warning. Repeated offenses will cause a forfeit of the match.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Good thing you can't put time limits in SSB64 hehe.
My roommate and I will try to make it. Jan 31 is around a week after we get back to college, so we should be free.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Your FireBatHero sig is making me cry...I like Jaedong :lick: Tektonik dance for the win?

Sensei

Smash Lord
Message for donjuan

Donjuan, it says you have chosen not to receive pms or are not able to. Here's my response to the pm you sent me:

Hey DJ, thanks for your interest in the tournament. I have no problem with you guys making a documentary here. I think it would be awesome. I just have to talk to the owners of the store first to see if they are okay with it. I'll pm you back when I get confirmation. Hope to see you and your friends soon!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Your FireBatHero sig is making me cry...I like Jaedong :lick: Tektonik dance for the win?
Somehow I just saw this quote today....

Anyway, I'm actually more of a Jaedong fanboy than an fbh fanboy (since I like, play zerg and stuff), but fbh is still by far the best progamer after the game is over. But even as a Jaedong fanboy, I gotta say, the tektonik dance was weak and would only be funny if he did it with glowsticks after 3-0ing Flash or Bisu or something.

Also, we shouldn't talk craft in here, go to the starcraft discussion thread in thelight house and we can talk about how awesome it is in there...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO go Maylay and Smash 64! I'm going Falco anywhere between zero and infinity bitches at this tourney. And my Yoshi is going to rock 64 so hard that I will leave Sensei curled up in the fetal position and sobbing after losing the grand finals in a string of 3 JV 6 stockings.

Top Bottom