• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [ Updated Daily + Partial Fix] An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.

Pjordan93

Smash Rookie
Once the game plays without crashing for me, I can do whatever I want with the brightness settings and I have no issues. It's really weird.

Pjordan93

Smash Rookie
Yep so i JUST now picked up my DS, tried to play on brightness 1, power saving off, and it crashed. Turned power saving on, brightness still at 1, and it worked. Either it was a fluke or there's some issue with the brightness/power. This is incredibly annoying. Any recommendations of where to go from here?

venb0y

Smash Rookie
At least for me the problem is not the patch. Even without patch I can't even ****ing start the game. Guess I'll try to give it back. Can't do anything with it.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Please, make sure that you report this issue to Nintendo, no matter if your issue has been fixed or not.
The more awareness is raised, the faster they will patch this issue up.

If people just laze out then we will never get this looked into.

Last edited:

venb0y

Smash Rookie
I already reported the issue to Nintendo (living in Austria, Europe). I also felt so free to link this thread in my email to them to raise awareness for the issue.

Panth3r

Smash Rookie
I wasnt sure which support to contact, submitted it to the repair support. And as venb0y did, I linked this thread too.

edit: So I got to play about 45 minutes this time around until it crashed again, this time it crashed at the very end of my trophy rush. Timer ran out and boom it crashed.

Last edited:

MrMustard21

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jarret91
3DS FC
0791-3640-8841
I've called Nintendo technical support and they told me to send in my 3DS along with the game so that they could further investigate the issue. I told them with the phone call that the problem was becoming persistent. However since they said it was such a specific issue the solution wasn't as clear as one would hope. So within the week I have to print out the labels and ship it to him. Sure I'll be without my game, but if it can hopefully help us find the solution. I'd be more than happy.

Panth3r

Smash Rookie
Ok so it is definitely an SD card issue, I saved a replay and went to go watch it, the second I loaded up into the replay menu it crashed immediately

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I hope we get an official word on this soon...
It obviously happens to a lot of people, both in and outside this site.

DanRockStar

Smash Rookie
I still cannot get mine to work... It only worked after the first time I downloaded it, played online with a friend then tried to open it again the following day, no luck.

It will happen when I try opening the game from the home menu, screen goes black, little loading smash ball appears, does a half rotation or quarter rotation then the message about the error has occured while appear, no error code.. I truely hope nintendo will see this thread. Thank you the players who sent them the link.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I installed the patch so that i could play Online and the crashes occur again.
If i remove it and re-install the crashes stop occurring.

So the patch issue is certainly a part of it.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
Hi there, I have this problem with another one, even more annoying.

In a lot of loading screens and, sometimes, in the middle of a battle or whenever the game wants, it will just freeze and block my console, so I have turn it off forcing a shutdown (pressing the Power button for like 8 seconds). Using different SDs, erasing non-useful data and using saving mode/1 on light help a little, but ultimately the crashes and freezes appear again.

I use a physical game, but the freezing problem already happened to me with the demo, although very rarely.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Just like that, do all of you have a 3DS XL ? I think I had it once with my original white 3DS, but I'm not so sure about that.
I hope it will be resoved sonn, because those freeze issues are scary:skull:

Ryoki

Smash Rookie
Joined today to add my experience, especially because it contradicts the usual symptoms. Been playing on a teal ambassador 3ds with a launch cartridge version. For 60 hours, no problems. My wife came home from a trip, and I was showin her the voice changes in the sounds section. After running through most of them, stopping midway through the announcer, I quickly went to Smash! to show her a new character. Except the loadin smash ball did not appear, and instead the message we all recieved did instead, and my game reset. I'm not sure if I just went too FAST for my poor old 3ds, but I've never gotten the error outside of this game. So this issue seems to possibly occur on any model, both media, and on Smash! Mode as well, at least loading it. Being the constant worrier that I am, I'll keep you posted

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Joined today to add my experience, especially because it contradicts the usual symptoms. Been playing on a teal ambassador 3ds with a launch cartridge version. For 60 hours, no problems. My wife came home from a trip, and I was showin her the voice changes in the sounds section. After running through most of them, stopping midway through the announcer, I quickly went to Smash! to show her a new character. Except the loadin smash ball did not appear, and instead the message we all recieved did instead, and my game reset. I'm not sure if I just went too FAST for my poor old 3ds, but I've never gotten the error outside of this game. So this issue seems to possibly occur on any model, both media, and on Smash! Mode as well, at least loading it. Being the constant worrier that I am, I'll keep you posted
Please do, since your case is quite different than most.
I hope the problem does not repeat itself for you, though.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Funnily enough, i installed the patch to play Online a couple days ago, and i was even able to unlock a few characters without the crash, making me think that the problem had been solved on my side.

But today the problems returned as if they had always been there.
This is kind of ridiculous xD

Ragnarokzero

Smash Rookie
So not sure if this is related to your problems but i guess any info could help...

So anytime i play a local game with friends (like a smash run or all-star mode) whenever we get into a match where the computers are present and fighting, we get "an error has occurred" and it kicks us back to the menus. For example, if we're doing a smash run, we'll do the ENTIRE smash run portion just fine, but when we get to the 4 player match at the end, we get about 20 seconds into the match and "an error has occurred". I have determined that MY 3ds seems to be the cause, as my friends were able to do an all-star mode just fine with each other, just not with me.

• If there are 4 of us playing, It never really happens, only if its a mix of humans and computers (and only local, i can still do solo) I can also do online just fine
  • If there are any less than 4 of us playing, its probably a good 60 or 70% chance that it drops us at the final battle in smash run (and honestly the few times it didn't was probably because it was one of the "kill more enemies than everybody else" where the computers weren't on the screen anyway),
  • It happens every time we do a local all-star as there can only be two of us in there
  • We are all on cartridges. I Attempted to delete 1.0.2 but then i couldn't play since my save data was a different version so i had to re-download. I haven't had a chance to try since the re-download since the e-shop was down when i deleted it, so i can update that tomorrow when i get a chance to do local again
  • My power-save mode is on, brightness at 4/5 (not sure on my friends' settings, but i'd be willing to bet their power save is off at 4/5 or 5/5)
  • I've had my 3ds longer than any of my friends, their's are all relatively new, oldest one being from may, dunno if that'll make a difference. Mine was from LAST october
Again, not sure if this is related to your problems or if it'll help you all, but hopefully we can get this all figured out

Naotaka

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd report my problem too:

I have a physical copy on a teal normal 3DS and I was playing it just fine for over a day and even lent it to my visiting friend to play and she put it down for just a moment to download it on her 3DS. After I picked mine up to play with her I found that the game had closed and when I tried to open it up, it would just display the 3DS logo before the Smash circle appeared briefly, with the edges of the circle lighting up. The circle doesn't even make one full revolution before it freezes and the all-too-familiar "An error has occurred forcing the software to close" message appeared. It's been one full day and it still hasn't changed...

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
Thought I'd report my problem too:

I have a physical copy on a teal normal 3DS and I was playing it just fine for over a day and even lent it to my visiting friend to play and she put it down for just a moment to download it on her 3DS. After I picked mine up to play with her I found that the game had closed and when I tried to open it up, it would just display the 3DS logo before the Smash circle appeared briefly, with the edges of the circle lighting up. The circle doesn't even make one full revolution before it freezes and the all-too-familiar "An error has occurred forcing the software to close" message appeared. It's been one full day and it still hasn't changed...
Did you blow the cartridge(gently)?

Ragnarokzero

Smash Rookie
So not sure if this is related to your problems but i guess any info could help...

So anytime i play a local game with friends (like a smash run or all-star mode) whenever we get into a match where the computers are present and fighting, we get "an error has occurred" and it kicks us back to the menus. For example, if we're doing a smash run, we'll do the ENTIRE smash run portion just fine, but when we get to the 4 player match at the end, we get about 20 seconds into the match and "an error has occurred". I have determined that MY 3ds seems to be the cause, as my friends were able to do an all-star mode just fine with each other, just not with me.

• If there are 4 of us playing, It never really happens, only if its a mix of humans and computers (and only local, i can still do solo) I can also do online just fine
  • If there are any less than 4 of us playing, its probably a good 60 or 70% chance that it drops us at the final battle in smash run (and honestly the few times it didn't was probably because it was one of the "kill more enemies than everybody else" where the computers weren't on the screen anyway),
  • It happens every time we do a local all-star as there can only be two of us in there
  • We are all on cartridges. I Attempted to delete 1.0.2 but then i couldn't play since my save data was a different version so i had to re-download. I haven't had a chance to try since the re-download since the e-shop was down when i deleted it, so i can update that tomorrow when i get a chance to do local again
  • My power-save mode is on, brightness at 4/5 (not sure on my friends' settings, but i'd be willing to bet their power save is off at 4/5 or 5/5)
  • I've had my 3ds longer than any of my friends, their's are all relatively new, oldest one being from may, dunno if that'll make a difference. Mine was from LAST october
Again, not sure if this is related to your problems or if it'll help you all, but hopefully we can get this all figured out
So to update...

I have determined its in my 3ds itself. I switched my cartridge into a friend's 3ds and worked great. My friend's cartridge in my 3ds messed up as well.

Reformatted 3ds - same issue
New SD card - same issue
Deleted extra data to recreate when game started - same issue
Redownloaded 1.0.2 - same issue

It SEEMS to work a little better right after i turn my 3ds on, (can get through 2-3 matches in all-star) but shortly after its back to not even 10 seconds before the error.

Cohaay

Smash Rookie
I've got a refurbishes zelda 3DS XL and have a physical copy. I get this error almost every loading screen. Ocassionally I can get one 1v1 cpu match in but it'll crash as soon as the match ends. Completely unplayable. Tried to report it to nintendo but couldn't find a catagory for "You sold me incompatable products."

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Well, we know that Super Smash Bros 3DS takes a heavy toll on the console and brings it to it´s very limit.
My 3DSXL even gets warm when playing Smash Bros and that´s something it never did with any other game.

It probably has something to do with it.

Pirate Goomba

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BackburningPyro
3DS FC
3969-6919-4080
Switch FC
2859 5488 3187
Well, looks like I join you guys.

I just got it now for first time after entering a rival smash with DK on retail copy. 2gb sandisk card inside regular 3ds with 8.1.0 os update. 1 bar of battery left. I am on default, no online patches because I haven't been yet.

I always have the battery on power saving\lowest brightness because the battery isn't as long as DS lite was so I always wanted to have that bit more.

Previously the bottom of the 3ds does get warm but I don't know if it was just my hands or battery. It was around 50 mins into a session.

Last edited:

CaptainSparx

Smash Rookie
I got a physical copy of the game with a brand new 3DSXL on the 10th, and it worked fine until yesterday-ish. No problems whatsoever, patch installed, so on. On Sunday I switched to a bigger SD card to accommodate a bunch of downloaded games I was transferring to the new system- didn't play anything that day because things were downloading, so I don't know if the problem would've started then.
Come yesterday, I try to play Smash, and I only get as far as the Nintendo 3DS splash screen before it crashes with this error. Uninstalled the patch, still crashes on startup. "Repaired" the patch, still crashes. Removed SD card, still crashes. Removed the files from the SD card and put it back in, still crashes. Reformatted the SD card, put everything back on, put it back in, still crashes. I've used the exact same SD card for a previous system, so I know it's a compatible card.

At this point, I don't think the SD card is the problem, just coincidentally happened to be replaced at the same time the problems started. I don't know if any other physical games would work on my system, because Smash is the only physical game I have (others got stolen a long with my old 3ds a few weeks ago). My digital downloads all work fine and play fine with no problems. All online features seem to be working fine too. I can access the eshop okay. Basically everything works except Smash.

Given how many people have the same or similar problems as me based on this thread, I think I can assume it's the same problem at the root, except I can't play the game at all no matter what I do. Even tried blowing on the damn thing, had elementary school flashbacks.

If anyone has any ideas of what could've went wrong based on what I've explained and how I might be able to fix it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, I don't THINK it's the new SD card, and I've switched around SD cards in the past with no problem, but anything I could try regarding that would be welcome too. Just wanna play my stupid beat-em-up game already without having to send my brand new system in to Nintendo after already being without one for a few weeks.

Cohaay

Smash Rookie
No response from nintendo support so far. Linked them here for referece on it not being an isolated incident.
Also tried deleting all of my apps and software after reformatting my sd card, stil can't even start a match. The spinning smash ball in the bottom right corner of the load screen always stops spinning and then I get the error. Don't seem to ever get it during gameplay.

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
Okay, so finally after waiting a week I contacted Nintendo will all of the ammunition of data of this site as well as my own personal experiences. For all of you considering calling Nintendo, let me tell exactly what they will do to and then you can make a decision if it's still worth your time. (Refer to my earlier post for the full story of my first attempt). This attempt more or less landed the same results. Nintendo asked a variety of questions including the condition of the 3ds xl, the game cartridge, how I bought the game, what SD card I have, did I try turning the system on and off etc.. All of these question eventually led to one inevitable conclusion that Nintendo was only willing to do repairs on the system or game cartridge. The price they said for repairs on the 3ds XL was $80 USD, $85 for both the system and the game, or just the game for $15. I repeat my earlier suggestion, trade in your system at gamestop and at least get an $80 trade-in value. I don't know for sure but they might let you do a system transfer so you can save all of your information. I highly doubt Nintendo will offer any kind of patch or support because the game works for 95% of the purchases out there. It seems that some of us bought a 3ds XL that simply won't be able to play the game properly due to hardware/software deficiencies so according to Nintendo that's our problem.

On the bight side the Wii U version is just a few short weeks away and undoubtably NIntendo will release a special bundle just in time for black Friday. You could save your money for that. Also, keep in mind a new 3ds will be released next year which will have superior 3D capabilities, as well as a better processor, and additional buttons including the C-stick and ZR & ZL; you could save your money for that. Maybe gamestop will still trade in for that version of the 3ds. Good luck with your decision.

DavetheJake

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've been having this problem persist since I got the game on release night. I have a physical copy, and I too have a 3DS XL Blue. I tend to only have this issue after I complete a stage or a smash run, so I haven't been too annoyed with it, until now. Just a few minutes ago I was playing a For Glory match, and it crashed in the middle of the match, so that prompted me to look up the error, and lo and behold, I'm not alone. Are we all still thinking this is 3DS XL related? Reading the first page, I started to assume that myself, and then the comments also moved to that, and I kinda feel that it's a possibility, but I haven't been able to test my cartridge on another DS, and no other game has this problem for me.

Also, I don't know if this has any bearing on it, but I've never experienced this problem while my charger was hooked up.

Unseen Dragon

Smash Rookie
As far as contacting nintendo goes, of course they'll tell you they can fix it for money.

If your system works with all other games, then you need to return the game to the seller (place where you bought it), show them the issue (with your 3ds), and then they can poke nintendo about it.

CaptainSparx

Smash Rookie
Well, after posting here I did absolutely nothing to try to fix my game aside from trying to boot it a few times, and it seems to have fixed itself because I'm not getting the error anymore. I'm relieved but also disappointed that I didn't get any answers as to why it wasn't working in the first place.
So far there are no signs of trouble, but if I get the error again, I'll return here to add my experience to the pile.

GlitchyFireEmblem

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nowiwowi
This happened once, but never happened again. I'm not sure I was even playing Smash though, it could have been Pokémon X.

mauro7inf

Smash Rookie
I tried all of the recommendations, but nothing worked. I eventually gave up and sent my 3DS XL to Nintendo for repairs (thankfully, I bought it less than a year ago). I just got it back yesterday, and it works now! I played for about 5 hours, and the only crash has been me crashing at work because of how little sleep I got thanks to playing Smash. (:

If you're having these crashes, the bad news is that it has to be sent in (the worse news is that you may have to pay for it if it's out of warranty). The good news is that it should work once you get it back.

DanRockStar

Smash Rookie
I was busy for a while with work... Gave up entirely on the matter at hand, and deleted the game and update... Decided to play some pokemon x today.. When I came across a notification that the game has been updated once again with a new patch...

Is anyone able to inform me if verison 1.0.3 resolves the issue...? Or shall I just continue to pretend I never purschased the game seeing Nintendo will not refund the purchases...********..Any information would be appreciated :)

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I do not think this patch has fixed the issue since it mostly dealt with online stuff.
Sadly, Nintendo seemed to be looking on the issue but it kinda dropped it since it was not widespread enough.

So i guess we are stuck with what we have.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
My game only crashed once. It happened after I finished the final battle in Smash Run with Pac-Man.

Top Bottom