• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [ Updated Daily + Partial Fix] An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My game crashed once while I was playing Smash Run with R.O.B.. It happened when the game was trying to load the results screen after the Vs. Enemy Team final event. I heard a strange sound while the results screen was loading, and apparently, that caused the game to crash.

On a side note, when the crash happened, the event was held at the Golden Plains stage.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
My game crashed once while I was playing Smash Run with R.O.B.. It happened when the game was trying to load the results screen after the Vs. Enemy Team final event. I heard a strange sound while the results screen was loading, and apparently, that caused the game to crash.

On a side note, when the crash happened, the event was held at the Golden Plains stage.
That's the same exact thing that happened to me, Vs. Enemy Team on Golden Plains, froze before results screen, except I was playing as Pac-Man. I'm pretty sure there was just some kind of issue with that event.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's the same exact thing that happened to me, Vs. Enemy Team on Golden Plains, froze before results screen, except I was playing as Pac-Man. I'm pretty sure there was just some kind of issue with that event.
The scenario seems uncommon though. Perhaps it has to do with how many enemies are present? Smash 3DS does push the 3DS and 3DS XL to their limits after all.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Is it weird that I haven't had a single crash in all my time playing? I have a 32GB SDHC card.

Ragnarokzero

Smash Rookie
So to update...

I have determined its in my 3ds itself. I switched my cartridge into a friend's 3ds and worked great. My friend's cartridge in my 3ds messed up as well.

Reformatted 3ds - same issue
New SD card - same issue
Deleted extra data to recreate when game started - same issue
Redownloaded 1.0.2 - same issue

It SEEMS to work a little better right after i turn my 3ds on, (can get through 2-3 matches in all-star) but shortly after its back to not even 10 seconds before the error.

As an update to mine... After the latest 1.0.3 and 3ds system update, mine seems to work just fine. Was able to do multiple smash runs and get through 4 entire all-star modes with my friend locally. I think those updates did introduce some stability updates (which would lend credence to the theory that its just draining too much from the 3ds). I wonder if turning off any features may help you all out some. Maybe turning off streetpass, turning off the outlines on characters (if its anything like shadows on PC games...), turning off the music, etc.

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
Update! Good news for hopefully all of you. Yesterday I downloaded the most recent patch for Smash Bros being 1.03. This patch has fixed almost all of my problems. Within 4 hours of playing the game only crashed 3 times which is better than not working at all. Once was online for an anonymous for fun match, once was during smash run while going through an event door, and the last was when I was making a customized Marth and went to test him; it crashed. When I relaunched the game I repeated the same exact conditions and had no problem the second time. Online is still touchy though. It's mostly likely my internet connection but I was able to start and finish a complete online match before it crashed. I would definitely recommend downloading this patch. Now I KNOW that the reason my game would not before was because of the patch. Hope this helps, can't wait till the 21st.

Julian4334

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've been having issues with Smash Bros 3DS since day 1.
I bought it when it was released in Argentina (October 4th), and I ignored the update at first. 15 minutes after playing, it crashed for the first time. So I did the update, but it kept crashing, now at the first menu, not even letting me play it. I took it to some repair shops and they all told me to wait for an update, since my 3DS XL was just fine. I tried changing the SD card, and it still crashed. I reformatted it, both console and memory, still crashed.
So recently I gave up, returned the game for a refund and bought a new one from another retailer. Did the update first (1.0.3 if i'm not mistaken), and still, first menu of the game, it crashed. Tried again, it crashed but this time before the first fight in Solo mode.
My 3DS XL was running low on battery when I tested it for the first time with the new cartridge. But I really doubt it will work just fine when it is fully charged. I will update my post if it works.
Any solution to this? I'm getting really frustrated

Btw, it's the only game that crashes on my console. I have more or less 15 3DS games that work just fine.

Kristoff

Smash Rookie
I bought a 2DS and Smash purely for the purpose of playing smash. I had played through a round of classic as my first experience with my own copy of the game. I decided I'd like to play online, and upon trying to go online, it said I needed to update the game. I updated to 1.0.4, and upon trying to start the game, I got nothing but a black screen. I force shut down the 2DS and did some research, and found this thread. I tried swapping the original 4GB SD card that came with it, for a 16GB Class 10 SD card. Same exact problem. I'm currently doing a full overwrite format on the SD card, and hopefully this fixes it, but as far as I'm concerned, this purchase was the worst choice ever.

Nathan Willis

Smash Rookie
I purchased a physical copy on day one. I've updated my 3DS XL and Smash Bros 3DS game as soon as I'm notified of any available updates. I did not have a single crash or freeze playing Smash Bros 3DS on my 3DS XL.

Today, I purchased a 2DS for my son. The first thing I did was update the 2DS and put Smash in and update that to 1.0.4. I can play one Smash 2 minute fight without any problems, but if I try to play it again for a second game it freezes every time. Almost always freezes during the loading screen with the tips. The sleep switch on the 2DS doesn't function and I've waited 20 minutes with nothing happening. The only way to get out is to hold the power button until it performs a hard reset. I was able to get into a second match one time, but it froze within the first 10 seconds; That time it gave me the error message and sent me back to the Home Menu. That's the only time that has happened.

So, I know it's not the cartridge as it works flawlessly with my 3DS XL; My 2DS crashes after only a couple minutes.
I've tried deleting and re-installing the updates with no change. I'm using the 4GB SD card that came with the 2DS; I could try and upgrade to a class 10 card, but I haven't heard anyone claim that fixes this issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be a bad 2DS? Should I exchange it in?

Nathan Willis

Smash Rookie
Update - I returned the 2DS that was freezing with smash bros and exchanged it for a similar 2DS. They new 2DS doens't have any freezing issues. It seems this problem is hardware related. Anyone else having this issue may need to replace their system or have Nintendo repair it.

Kyodan

Smash Rookie
Sorry for reviving this topic but i had nowhere to say it...
One friend of mine has a similar issue,however,his problem seems to be character related,rather than gamemode related.
Before the 1.0.2 update,we could play fine without any issues,but after the update thing got strange as whenever he selected Luigi,his game would crash,giving the same issue related in this topic.We then just said "ok,then we will try to play luigi when the next update comes".But this never happened as the issue wasn't resolved in 1.0.3 and only got worse when in 1.0.4 Kirby wasn't playable also (Much like luigi) and later,Wario wasn't playable aswell.

He can play fine with any other character in any stage/mode,but whenever he selectes Luigi or Kirby,his game crash while loading the stage.
Did any of you experienced something similar to this?

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
Okay guys, here is the update with the whole crashing issue. At this point, I believe the problem is system specific and if any of you are as unlucky as me you'll just have to accept the fact that your 3ds has trouble playing smash bros and should consider selling it, trading it for the New 3ds XL, or save up for a Wii U. I have been focusing on beating a Link between worlds so that I can play Majora's Mask on Friday. Here's a breakdown of the different patches:

1.0.0 - Only was able to play a few group matches before it inevitable crashed
1.0.1 - A little more stable, could play several group matches but 1 player and online would always crash
1.0.2 - The same as the previous patch, I was very frustrated at this point.
1.0.3 - Finally a stable patch that worked for me. I unlocked all the characters and levels and could play for 3 hours and no crashing
1.0.4 - Why did I download this patch? I went right back to crashing again after a match instead of going to the victor's screen
1.0.5 - This Amiibo support patch is by far the worst. I can't even load the game anymore. I am seriously considering selling the game and just saving the money towards a Wii U.

I would suggest that if you are currently playing a stable version of the game, just leave it that way and don't upgrade unless you're feeling optimistic. In any case I am frustrated that this game is not working but I hope you guys have had better luck than me. Can't wait for Majora's Mask!

xTheSilverStar

Smash Rookie
I've had it happen like once or twice on my old 3DS, I never found anything that caused it to crash, but since I got my XL for my Birthday, I haven't had the problem since, although something weird did happen the other day in history, I won with meta knight and the victory theme didn't play, but MK's voice was fine, and the very next match was on 3D land, something similar happened, the second part of the music didn't cue (the part that plays right after you board the moving platforms near the middle of the stage), but again, the voices were unaffected, I rebooted the game and haven't had any issues since, weird indeed.

mitchman77

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5284-1905-2884
the only time i get this is when i try to send someone my replay after amiibo 3ds patch.... Weird...

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Never had a crash of any sort happen to me. I own the original 3DS XL and the cartridge version of Sm4sh 3DS and I've started playing since version 1.0.4

I'm guessing the game isn't able to load files quickly enough when they're needed when playing the downloadable version of the game on a SD card. While the issue is old (though some people say it's not fixed for them) it seems like it might be the case that it's a hardware problem which may be based on what type of memory card you have on your 3DS or might be a cause of corruption on the game files.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This has happened to me twice before on my old 3DS XL. First time it happened, I was playing Multi-Man Smash when all of a sudden, the game crashed and then forced itself to restart. I now have a New 3DS XL and since then, I haven't had any issues with this at all.

mtndoge

Smash Rookie
Hey there everyone. So I have been experiencing problems with this for about a year now, and I've almost given up. No one seems to have my exact problem.

Ok, so I downloaded super smash brothers onto my New 3ds XL from the Eshop, and it was working fine for about a month. I hadn't been treating it poorly or anything, and I was using a 16 GB class 10 micro SD card. Then, it started to glitch. Whenever I closed the DS, it would freeze. So I redownloaded it and I was playing fine. Then when I opened it again after closing it, it says "an error occurred, the system will now restart." And it kept doing that every time I opened up SSB. So I downloaded it again, same thing happens. I can play it until I open it again. So I deleted my save data(tear) and redownloaded. Same thing. I am lost on what to do and I don't want to waste money on a physical copy. Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Titanjr31

Smash Rookie
All of you people with the crashing digital copies, you are not alone. I'm currently borrowing my friends physical copy of the game, and it would either go unresponsive upon start-up, or crash between battles. i haven't done classic mode because i needed the update for it to save any data(so i thought it was useless), and i am trying to install it now, but, i have been having the crash problems too. If the update solves that, i will post it.

Titanjr31

Smash Rookie
something that i also found weird was that it crashed when i went into the controls menu in the settings

Titanjr31

Smash Rookie
I stand corrected, it got into the controls menu. I just didn't wait for it to load lol

Titanjr31

Smash Rookie
Nevermind. The problem persists with more thatn just the settings and battles; I unlocked the Flat Zone 2 challenge, and the pictures would go away but it would go unresponsive or crash altogether. It did the same after i unlocked a different challenge, but now it tries to show me the challenge every time i open the game and it crashes. I CANT PLAY IT ANYMORE. PLEASE HELP.

Bradyfay

Smash Rookie
OK so I just got smash on a 2ds and when I try to update it to the newest update I start unlocking all the challenges until it crashes and i get this message

Top Bottom