• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [ Updated Daily + Partial Fix] An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
What surprised (and scares me) is that some people suffer this issue with an actual cartridge.
It is really awkward....

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
I've had this happen only once so far with my physical copy. I started classic with wario and it crashed on me. Other then nothing, and bowser Jr is the last character I need to unlock.

I hope nintendo patches this, and I hope it doesn't get more frequent for me :/

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Oh, okay.
My brother is having the same issues.
I got a Hard Copy, and I'm playing just fine.
He got a E-Shop copy.
Have you contacted Nintendo?
They might send you a new game.
Could you please let your brother play with your cartridge on his 3DS for a classic run?
If he does not crash with your physical copy then this would open new paths of investigation.

KaiRogers17

Smash Cadet
This has happened one time for me (I think around Falco?) and I simply rebooted the game and continued playing, unlocked Falco, and all characters but R.O.B. I've had no problems since (using a standard SDHC that came with my XL), should I be concerned and take it back for a replacement copy at Game Stop? It works fine now, and only popped up one time... but still...

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I would like to mention that several users, both digital and cartridge, are reporting this problem to the nintendo techforums and have even used this thread to prove that they are not alone.

It begins to feel like the affected users are a sizeable number, which gives us hope for Nintendo to actually do something about it.

Let´s pray and hope.

Last edited:

black57mage

Smash Rookie
Saw this thread, thought I'd put my two cents in.

I own a retail copy of SSB3DS and I started playing it yesterday (Oct 3) about 2:00 or whatever mountain time, played it for a few hours throughout the day, had a lot of fun, didn't have any problems. Played only single player and local wireless multiplayer with my brother.

Woke up this morning (Oct 4) and installed 1.0.2 so I could try to play online. Didn't actually end up playing online, instead kept playing single player. Started having the same error that's been talked about in this thread. I now cannot reliably complete Smash Run or Classic mode, as (I assume) it crashes whenever a four-player match occurs. I can play normal smash with one or two opponents.

I have tried other games on my 3DS XL and haven't had any problems, and I also tried playing SSB on my old, regular 3DS without installing 1.0.2, and I was able to successfully complete Smash Run a couple times without any problems. All this to say, I am almost completely convinced that 1.0.2 is the problem here.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Saw this thread, thought I'd put my two cents in.

I own a retail copy of SSB3DS and I started playing it yesterday (Oct 3) about 2:00 or whatever mountain time, played it for a few hours throughout the day, had a lot of fun, didn't have any problems. Played only single player and local wireless multiplayer with my brother.

Woke up this morning (Oct 4) and installed 1.0.2 so I could try to play online. Didn't actually end up playing online, instead kept playing single player. Started having the same error that's been talked about in this thread. I now cannot reliably complete Smash Run or Classic mode, as (I assume) it crashes whenever a four-player match occurs. I can play normal smash with one or two opponents.

I have tried other games on my 3DS XL and haven't had any problems, and I also tried playing SSB on my old, regular 3DS without installing 1.0.2, and I was able to successfully complete Smash Run a couple times without any problems. All this to say, I am almost completely convinced that 1.0.2 is the problem here.
This is some interesting info, i will try deleting my smash data altogether and delete the update, then re-install the game.
We will see how it goes.

laciel

Smash Rookie
i tried deleting the update before and i continued to have the same issues... but if it for some reason is retroactively breaking it after the fact then i hope that's the case :p

This is some interesting info, i will try deleting my smash data altogether and delete the update, then re-install the game.
We will see how it goes.
please update on how that goes! i'd be willing to delete everything again if 1.0.2 is really the problem here

Last edited:

black57mage

Smash Rookie
We will see how it goes.
Yes please do let us know, I'm hesitant to delete everything as I've already unlocked a fair amount in the game and would rather not start over, but if we can prove that that's the problem I'd consider starting over.

Edit: Also, if anybody reading this has experienced this same problem WITHOUT ever installing 1.0.2, please let us know. If nobody responds with that info I'll take that as a sign we're on the right track, but if somebody can prove that it isn't that would also be helpful I suppose.

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
After re-installing the game without the patch, i have been able to successfully beat classic mode and unlock Falco without the game crashing or suffering any other error.

It appears that the 1.0.2 patch is indeed the culprit of the error.

It seems that we finally found the issue thanks to black57mage.

We should ALL e-mail Nintendo and explain what is happening so that they fix the patch or make a new one.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I must be fortunate to not have this issue. I downloaded the game on the original SD card my XL Mario & Luigi edition 3DS came with, so i could just have a higher quality card protecting me.
i hear this issue all over the place. thought it was a rare fluke at first.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I definitely hope Nintendo fixes this issue.

However, I wonder what might be going on. I got rid of the demo and installed 1.0.2 BEFORE downloading the game. I have yet to run into this crash (I also have the Eshop version).

black57mage

Smash Rookie
Well cool, glad I was able to be of some help and that we seem to have found the problem. I'll be sure to email Nintendo later on, watching football at the moment.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I do not understand how a patch that basically just enables the online mode, somehow manages to screw up two offline modes and make 4 man matches / challenge matches unplayable, but at the same time it somehows allows those battles to happen if the action is paused every few seconds or if played online.

...and it only affects select users?

Crazy witchcraft D:

Last edited:

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I do not understand how a patch that basically just enables the online mode, somehow manages to screw up two offline modes and make 4 man matches / challenge matches unplayable, but at the same time it somehows allows those battles to happen if the action is paused every few seconds or if played online.

...and it only affects select users?

Crazy witchcraft D:
I install that patch BEFORE buying my game and never had any error or crash, maybe it was suppose to be install before playing? and some coding problem emerges when the game read the patch info after playing when you play?

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I install that patch BEFORE buying my game and never had any error or crash, maybe it was suppose to be install before playing? and some coding problem emerges when the game read the patch info after playing when you play?
On my first install, the patch was downloaded and installed before the game and the crash still occurred.

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
I am having the same error code as many other people have had. Whenever I try to do anything (solo mode, classic) I get the error message: "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will restart. (Unsaved data may be lost)". Obviously this was severely dissapointing not being able to really play any of the game modes. So, I did what most people did and tried restarting the system with no luck. I tried using other SD cards of varying sizes (512MB, 1 GB, 2BG, 4GB) after wiping them clean and with and without the patch but still did not have any luck.

I looked into restoring the 3ds to it's factory settings but it sounds like it will erase all data and any data backed-up on an SD card will not be usable anymore, I'll have to double check on that. But in anycase I opted out of that option.

Finally, I went to Nintendo's support website and sent an email. I still have not gotten a response via email. But on the day Smash Bros came out I called Nintendo customer service number (which is: 1-800-255-3700 by the way) and I was on hold for about 10 minutes, not too bad. They played the Ocarina of Time Hyrule Field Music so it was okay : ) Anyway, I spoke with Raechel and she was very nice and professional in handling the situation. She admitted that other people had similar issues but also said that this issue has happened with other games as well. Unfortunately, there was not much she could do. SInce I bought a hard copy from Amazon they insisted that I return them game and repurchase another one. They said that sometimes the electronics in the games cartridges can be affected by magnets and other devices (like I believe that was the cause). She did however offer to let me speak with a supervisor which I did and she more or less said the same thing that I should return it. Other options they offered were sending in the 3ds in for repairs which would $135! I'm thinking, holy cow, I could just go buy another 3ds for that much money. So I opted out of that option.

The call ended and I basically got an answer of "well that's too bad for you, should have bought a 3ds that didn't glitch". Nintendo seems to have a buyer's beware attitude to this situation. Frustated, I looked up Amazon's return policy and thankfully it's amazing. They are going to ship me a new one for Monday and I won't get charged for it as long as I return the other catridge within 30 days. I will test to see if the new cartridge will work on my 3ds XL. If it does than that means there are several bad copies of the games. If it doesn't work than that means that my 3ds Xl is useless in playing Smash Bros and I will either have to buy a new 3ds or have Ninendo repair the one I have.

I should mention however this forced shutdown also happened with the demo version of Smash Bros. I bought my 3ds January 2013 so I am past my 1 year warranty. I have had no issues with my 3ds up to this point. It's hard to say whether it the 3ds or the game cartridge but I will find out on Monday and let everyone know. Hope this has given some insight to the problem. Hopefully Nintendo does the right thing and offers discounted or free repairs on 3ds systems with this issue. Nintendo normally has high standards for hardware and software working properly so they should quickly rememdy this issue.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Let us hope the new cartridge fixes it for you.

Just make sure to try it without the patch first, and make sure to wipe out any smash bros data from all the data management categories, just to be on the safe side.

yoon4

Smash Rookie
Been having this problem since game came out, deleted my save data and didn't download new patch when i redownloaded whole thing. Still been crashing during classic mode....very sad

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Been having this problem since game came out, deleted my save data and didn't download new patch when i redownloaded whole thing. Still been crashing during classic mode....very sad
These are the steps i followed on my successful install:

Step 1) Take a different SD card, Class 10 if possible, but definitely 6 or above and plug it to your PC

Step 2) Format your SD card, if you do not know, follow this extremely easy guide
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/220/~/how-to-format-an-sd-card

Step 3) Plug SD card into the 3DS and re-download super smash bros.Make sure to NOT download the patch at all.

If it works, make sure to tell us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can't even access the ****ing eShop because of this broken product. My entire online experience has been halted because I tried to connect to the Nintendo Network to play online matches with some friends. No error code or anything. Only unlimited ****ing loading and nothing else.

I'm glad they went out of their way to make this release the most disastruous one yet. I haven't had a game that did anything like it to any of my consoles prior to now. Hilariously frustrating.

smodonitro

Smash Rookie
Let us hope the new cartridge fixes it for you.

Just make sure to try it without the patch first, and make sure to wipe out any smash bros data from all the data management categories, just to be on the safe side.
Update: Surprisingly, Amazon sent the new Smash Bros 3ds today (Sunday). I wiped the SD card and did not download the patch. I put the new cartridge and and a basic 2 minute match with Marth and Captain Falcon on FInal Destination. I finished the match but instead of going to the victory screen it crashed like it usually does. Ugh! So tried a couple more times, I tried different SD cards, and I tried it with the patch. I have had no such luck. It looks like I might have to save for a 3ds or maybe save for a Wii U and just wait to play. I'll call Nintendo Support tomorrow and see if they will repair my 3ds for free or for a discounted price.

SageTheMeow: Did you get your game working yet?

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Update: Surprisingly, Amazon sent the new Smash Bros 3ds today (Sunday). I wiped the SD card and did not download the patch. I put the new cartridge and and a basic 2 minute match with Marth and Captain Falcon on FInal Destination. I finished the match but instead of going to the victory screen it crashed like it usually does. Ugh! So tried a couple more times, I tried different SD cards, and I tried it with the patch. I have had no such luck. It looks like I might have to save for a 3ds or maybe save for a Wii U and just wait to play. I'll call Nintendo Support tomorrow and see if they will repair my 3ds for free or for a discounted price.

SageTheMeow: Did you get your game working yet?
Yes, after i factory-resetted the 3DS and formatted my SD, installing the game without the patch solved the issue for me.
I am still investigating to see if we can find a solution that works for everybody, though.

(also, i cannot play online because i lack the patch now)

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I was playing Smash Run with my cartridge copy when this happened as I killed a couple of enemies at once. I've played Smash Run countless times before this happened, so I don't know what caused it.

Point being, this can happen with cartridge versions, sometimes with no apparent cause.

Ryan50

Smash Cadet
The fact this issue exists...bothers me. It's like The Lumiose City save bug when Pokemon X/Y came out, except the only way to avoid it also prevents online play. I really hope they make a 1.0.3 patch to fix this, and soon. I don't plan on playing Wi-Fi until then, considering there's a chance it can temporarily break my cartridge >_>

venb0y

Smash Rookie
Well yeah, it totally seems like it's a bug with the game, I also have a pending request with Nintendo support right now.. let's see what they say. Maybe it can be fixed with a patch or something

MajorMeathooks

Smash Rookie
Hi, all. I googled the error message and came across this board and thought I would add in my 2 cents.

I was playing today during my lunch break and got the error.

I was playing classic and had just beaten the first set of enemies as Fierce Deity Link.

I DO NOT have the update from the eshop.

I am using a Legend of Zelda 3DSXL. Had brightness set to 5 and my wireless was set to off.

I really hope a fix comes for this soon. It's so disheartening to read these stories :(

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I have updated the opening post with all the information we have found so far.
I will keep updating it as new discoveries are made.

Last edited:

av448

Smash Cadet
i hope this doesn't affect me , still waiting for my physical copy i ordered from amazon , i live in South America so it will take a while :(

SmellTheJava

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0834-0767-5817
I got the cardrigde and I just enocuntered this bug. It happened twice the last 30 minutes or so.

EDit: It all happened in online mode, for glory 1v1 to be precise.

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I would like to exalt the importance of having all of you report this to Nintendo, the more people complain, the faster will Nintendo realize it´s a global issue and produce the patch/update we so desperatedly need to fix it.

It´s obvious that the affected number in the hundreds, and that´s only counting the people that are complaining all over the internet, so it is safe to say that this is a Nintendo/Software related issue and not our 3ds´s malfunctioning.

Nintendo are beginning to take notice of this issue and are beginning to ask the affected to wait for a week and then contact them again, but the more people report this issue, the faster will it get worked on.

Just like with the Pokémon X/Y save bug, the more people complain and the more noise is made, the faster will they patch.

Last edited:

Lyndon G

Smash Rookie
Throwing my similar story into the mix.
Got my hard copy of smash 3ds and played like 3 local matches (Didn't download update 1.0.2) with my friends and I drop out & get the error message/my game freezes, while my friends get to keep playing I'm stuck downloading the update thinking this will surely fix the problem but like everyone else on here no luck! I spent most of my weekend trying to fix this. My retailer replaced my copy for free and It still freezes tried different sd cards and wiping my game save all to no avail.

It's just very upsetting. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Jessego481

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4742-7228-0629
Glad I am not alone. Had problems with the demo also. Have a retail copy of the game and it crashed on me 3 times in a row on class mode. It seems to happen more when I have the
Game on charge well playing. Although it's probably just a fluke. Haven't happened well playing online thankfully.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
So far, we have found out that the crashes happen most often when:

-Playing Classic / All-Stars with over 3 participants.
-Fighting against an unlockable character.
-If too many "minions" appear in All-Stars

The crash seems to NEVER affect any online mode or the Smash mode.

Fersherls

Smash Rookie
Well Here's my case...
I bought my physical copy last saturday, but the moment I started playing I was creating my mii figther and I got this error, freezes an then "an error has ocurred...", and then I keep getting this error in classic mode, smash run and all star, it appears that playing home run contest and online modes is just fine, anyway I thought that it was a cartridge problem and go to Gamers and made them change the cartridge for a new one(I showed them how it freezes with my 3ds, although, I played with that cartridge in a 3ds of the store and never got this issue), but with the new one the problem persist, so my conclusion is that this problem is related to some kind of models of 3ds, this was after downloaded the patch 1.0.2, now that Ive downloaded it, it freezes generally at multi man figths, master hand fights and unlockable characters too...
Dont know whats happening but this is really frustating, haven't got any issue with my console until now.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
If I had to guess, I'd say it's an issue with certain models of 3DSes, based on the sounds of it more than likely a RAM issue. Seems like sometimes the 3DS just can't handle the game, which is definitely odd all things considered. Actually, I'm wondering if there might be multiple causes, as some of these seem like they might be an issue relating to reading data off the SD card. I know Brawl could freeze if you played music off the SD card that had too high a sampling rate, and at one point I tried to use the Mario Kart Wii Custom Track Grand Prix at a friend's house and their Wii just wouldn't ever load the track selection screen. It wouldn't freeze, it would just stick there at a black screen and never succeed at loading. Seemed to be an issue with their Wii's SD card reader. So I'm sort of wondering if the something similar might be the case with some models of 3DS, and it's just never been an issue with previous games because they weren't anywhere near as CPU-intensive or didn't need to read off the SD card as often.

I'm using a standard 3DS, not an XL, with a hard copy of the game and the patch, and have never had this problem. However, I've never played a standard Smash battle with more than 2 players (though of course four-man matches still show up in Classic Mode and All-Star Mode, and I have done both those and Multi-Man Smash with no problems), nor have I ever done any online or local multiplayer.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
There are definitely different causes.

For instance, many of us can play just fine if we don´t apply the 1.0.2 patch whereas other people fixed it by switching cartridges and other players have this error only occasionally and at random times.

Furthermore, this error has been happening with a lot of previous games such as Fire Emblem : Awakening, Animal Crossing and Pokémon X/Y as a quick google search will tell you, so it is definitely weird.

Top Bottom