• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UPDATE: Round 2 (Tourney Pika)

festizzio

Smash Champion
Just some things I noticed, umm 1. you probably don't wanna throw out so many random smash attacks, especially against a sheik because they will most likely be punished badly, 2. follow up your nair to dsmash or usmash or something, there were times where you would shffl a nair and he would be sitting there and instead of usmashing you would wavedash back. also 3. you might wanna learn to sweetspot the edge better, it really doesn't take that long once you get the hang of it, that's pretty much all I saw. I hope this helped, I'm not really good at writing up big essays like others are, maybe wait for theirs instead. :)

Anther

Smash Champion
You're pretty good technically speaking with your Pika. There were 2 glaring things I kinda want to point out that got you beat this match though. The main one is that QTP won this one largely because he waited for you to throw out a laggy attack, then grabbed you and comboed you a couple times before you died. Also, look for more grab opportunities while you're playing his sheik. I saw quite a bit that you could've taken advantage of whenever he returned to the stage.

Also, another one is a general tip vs Sheik that you didn't really take advantage of. QTP should've lost more stocks than he did in my opinion, and it's the main up pikachu has in this matchup is your edgeguard game vs sheik. As everyone notices, Sheik's return is broken in ways, but she suffers from the same weakness pika has, and its that she's super vulnerable if she has to land on the stage. Main difference is that sheik has to land somewhere very close to the edge, otherwise she loses the preferable option of grabbing the ledge and slapping you for being near it. Whenever you force sheik to land on the stage, you need to NOT hit her with a weak attack, but either ledge hop and neutral air her on the opposite side so that she'll fly off the stage again, or tap the control stick forward, so you roll onto the edge, and either f-smash/usmash/ or throw her, percentage determining what you do.
But yeah, in general, trying to fsmash sheik as she's returning is a bad idea, cause she can ledgehop and smack you right through it.

That's just what I noticed. I could be completely off, and someone else might notice something completely different, that's my opinion on that match though. =].

N64

Smash Champion
You got grabbed too much. Getting grabbed is paaaainful against sheik, and QTP could have done more with his grabs. This was mostly from you dsmashing too much. Dsmash is good to catch people offguard, especially those that like to downdodge, but don't overdo it. They'll just shield and grab you after it, as QTP did. You also threw out a fair amount of seemingly random smashes, and 0 tilts that i saw. Pika's tilts aren't super good but for his moveset they're almost essential. All his tilts are decent for shield pressure, ftilt can be good for edgeguarding (though not so much against sheik) and utilt can set up some nice combo opportunities.

Also suprisingly little use of uair. It's hella useful for setting up combos and gimps once you get used to it.

Otherwise, not bad.

RareTruffle

Smash Apprentice
Typing on the wii is interesting.

Thought I would edit this into something useful now that I'm on a computer.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Feel free to watch the second round of the set. :)
There's this really good part in the second match where the people sitting on the couch plus the audience yell over the match next to us. >_< Random skull bash.

Top Bottom